2,465 Posts
Way to go Mustang!! Please keep us informed. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2007, 10:02 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Mustang that makes for a good configuration but I'm a not sure from the pictures if you've just reversed the wing??................and therefore the aerofoil..which could be challenging?
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Feb 09, 2007, 10:22 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,444 Posts
Hi Guys,
I just found this thread, lots of good info and discussion, thanks for starting and adding to it.
I was told the "canard" term came from the Wright flyer demo in Paris. An Englishman saw the airplane coming in to land and it was going to fly just over the top of a nearby man. The Englishman shouted"Duck!" several times, realized the person was French and switched to French and shouted "Canard, canard!" The aviation experts assumed he was calling the airplane a canard and the name stuck forever.
Ivor
fuelsguy is online now Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Feb 09, 2007, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Duck, or Canard

Excellent,fuelsguy! And then came Goose and other birds. Charles
Old Feb 09, 2007, 11:10 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
guys,the wing is just reversed changing the airfoil,but i can sand it differently if i need to since i just taped the wings and put in a fiberglass center spar.Fuselage is now also blended with the nose
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Feb 09, 2007, 11:23 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
guys,the wing is just reversed changing the airfoil,but i can sand it differently if i need to since i just taped the wings and put in a fiberglass center spar.Fuselage is now also blended with the nose
Just checking instead of cups try small drinks bottles for your cowls..raid the bins like a true SPAD builder would!
Old Feb 09, 2007, 11:25 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
LOL i'll see what i can find
Old Feb 09, 2007, 12:20 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,049 Posts
Kyle, in order to get that backwards airfoil to "possibly" work you will have to sand the wing paper thin. It will never work the way it is. Looks cool though. Turn it around and make the motors tractors instead of pushers and it will probably be fine. Sorry to be so negative, but the laws of Physics don't change. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Feb 09, 2007, 12:27 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
Tom,I wonder about that though because I have seen many forward swept birds fly and they are very stable although i think the airfoil is correct on them. Also I'm adding leading Edge slats but still have the option to turn the wing forwards
Old Feb 09, 2007, 12:43 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,049 Posts
They may be swept foreward on those other models, but the airfoil id facing the right direction. The high point of most airfoils has to be at 25 to 30% of the chord. Yours, the way it is now, has the high point at 70 to 75% of the chord. It will never work. If it does, I'll eat my socks. Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Feb 09, 2007, 12:55 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Kyle, in order to get that backwards airfoil to "possibly" work you will have to sand the wing paper thin. It will never work the way it is. Looks cool though. Turn it around and make the motors tractors instead of pushers and it will probably be fine. Sorry to be so negative, but the laws of Physics don't change. Tom
yeh, but they don't say it won't work..there is more than one recorded case of a RET plane having the wing banded on backwards, and flying perfectly well. In fact the pilots never noticed the difference. IIRC one said 'oh should it go on that way: I have always flown it the other way'
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 09, 2007, 01:07 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Futher idea cut the outboard wing sections off outbord of the motors and swap them over............but doing that you get a stagger swept as on Irrigon............the other thing would be to recut the angle of theouter panels so the roots to give the present sweep........when you've re-joined it you will have to blend the join but its an idea but the forward sweep does look very cool.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Feb 09, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2007, 01:12 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
After several test glides trying the wing forwards(gonna have to talk to Charles about the forward swept) it glides well with the canard slightly positive and flaps(since wing is on right) at neutral. The nose wheel held up to the abuse and once attached it will be stronger. going to get another 6x4 3 blader today and talk to my friend about the original design. I want to see this bird fly
Old Feb 09, 2007, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Mustang, It looks like the wing will reverse. If so, you will have a better balanced model, I believe. The Miles designs are similar. Charles
Old Feb 09, 2007, 01:20 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,396 Posts
ok thanks Charles,forward it is