HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:25 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Tristar

The Tristar is a very interesting model. It is one of very few canard models available as a kit from a major manufacturer. I'd also like to see some more info and flight reports posted.
Its a pity we can't buy the kit anymore. If I was going to build one, I'd definitely try some changes on the forward wing. In particular changing to a cambered airfoil, instead of the flat plate.

There's a nice video of a slope soaring Tristar posted Here and the plans were posted Here
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2009, 05:54 AM
Indiana
Joined Jul 2003
1,064 Posts
My Tri Star has been flying quite well for a few years now. I've never had any issues with elevator authority. It's balanced at the recommended position. Or at least it starts out that way. CG shifts forward a little when the 32mm Aerotech rocket burns out. It flies on that or a 350 watt/ folding prop setup.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597881
icrashrc is offline Find More Posts by icrashrc
Old Mar 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
John, The video was interesting and so were the plans which Larry, aka Speed-E-Flyer, gave us in January. I noticed a tendency for the model to rock laterally at times as my original CA-1 did when hitting a wind bump. The owner probably had the CG at the rearward limit. Looking at the top view of the Tri-Star and drawing a line around it's perimeter, it is like a delta which, in my opinion, needs to be controlled with elevons rear coupled to elevator up front. It is a beautiful airplane and is similar to the Long EZ without the extra wing area at the base of the wings. To me, it begs for moving the canard wing forward by adding fuselage length. As you said, it could use an airfoil up front and IMO a bit more area.
Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:09 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
icrashrc, What a great launch! It seems to to continue picking up speed as it climbs.

Chrarles, I thought the slope soaring tri-star looked very good. The rocking isn't too severe, and it would probably be reduced with a longer fuselage as you wrote. If you search on youtube for SIG TRISTAR WITH OS 15-FP ENG you will find a video that looks a bit less stable. Maybe that one is setup with a rearward COG location. However the pilot performs a very accurate flight nonetheless.

I am about to start work on my second canard slope soarer. I have already received the foam cores. It is an evolution of my previous design (see pic), but it will have a larger 60" wingspan, whereas the one in the picuture is 48". The new one will use a canard elevator that works together with the outboard elevons. Unfortunately the model pictured met its demise back in January when I did a foolish low-speed pass across the top of our slope. The model was tossed inverted by the strong rotor and hit a rock dead on the nose. That is a lesson learned the hard way! Although the wing was totally intact, I would rather build an updated design than try to rebuild the badly smashed fuselage.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:33 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,621 Posts
Always keep the wings, John!

I've got several pairs of wings whose fuselages have been smashed up. Just waiting for interesting configurations...

cheers

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Nick can you remember in one of the Uk mags a few years back there wasa guy with a black Cannard he was experimenting with moving forward plane set ups.

I would still like to see someone build this one ..not the xb 70 https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=889 Nick PM Me your E mail...I may have something.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:40 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
John,I am sorry about the damaged fuse but am excited that you are going up to 60" with new ideas. It seems to me, after watching all those videos, that the CG position must have been too far forward on the Sig plans. The OS 15 version appeared to have no dihedral but lots of elevator authority. Maybe the weight of the engine and fuel were factors for rear end ballast. A friend had a Tri-Star for sale at Perry, Ga flea market and I may have discouraged a nice gentleman from buying it because of my misconception that it had a sluggish nose. If he happens to be watching, I want to sincerely apologize. There seems to be lots of Tri-Stars and clones around and we need more of them. Airboat, thanks again for your contributions.
Charles
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:51 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
I would still like to see someone build this one ..not the xb 70 https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=889.
I bought the plans for this one - mainly out of curiosity! It is a large model at 97.5 inches span. I have been in touch with someone from the UK who was building one. Hopefully he will finish it sometime soon. In his case he decided to change the main wing airfoil to an RG-15, which seems like a step forward from the highly cambered profile that was specified on the plan. For my 60" canard soarer I decided to use a main wing airfoil that is similar to the S6061 to get an even lower Cm value (pitching moment co-efficient).

The layout of the Valkyrie is posted here
Last edited by John235; Mar 14, 2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Added link
Old Mar 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,807 Posts
First flight - D-Squared

I flew my D-Squared today for the first time

Only one circuit around the pattern, because of a radio problem I need to fix. I am getting interference and it might be my antenna placement, or my ESC. Not sure. Anyway, the power with the Medusa was plenty with an 8X6 prop. I did not have time to trim it out, but I am looking forward to lots of fun with this plane once I get all the bugs worked out
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:41 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,807 Posts
She flew nicely on Sunday!!

A new RX was installed, the antenna routed outside, along the LE of the main wing, taped to the wing and wiglet so it is impossible to get caught up in the prop. Also hooked the Phoenix 45 to the Castle Link and downloaded the lastest firmware. This solved the radio glitch problem.

My CG is about 1/2" forward of where your plans put it Charles, but it flies just fine. Very sensitive to roll input, I need to reduce the throw. Medusa is plenty of power, and it sounds like a jet at full power. Slow flight is very fun, as I tried many times to stall her, without any wing snap. The landings are fun to watch as you can really make her settle on the mains.

Two good 5 min. flight on one charge with a brand new Flight Pro - 2170mah 3-cell.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Try this one http://amoebabloke.deviantart.com/ar...nload-90228186 biplane Xwing Canard!
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Mar 16, 2009, 03:17 PM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
Are the d-squared plans available? looks like a nice bird and I would like to try it.
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Old Mar 16, 2009, 03:25 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,807 Posts
Not sure, You need to talk to Charles Sulley (Canard Addict) he seems to frequent this thread. He was kind enough to sell me plans and patterns.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:58 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Steve, I am delighted with your success with D squared! Since it has elevons front and rear, I believe you should exercise caution with sudden full UP control when the model is moving fast. One of our canard lovers, Magic 612, who has a canard with dual elevons said that his model acted strange with full UP in a dive. I took the D Squared up a ways, went into a shallow dive at full throttle and when sudden UP elevator was applied, the nose snapped up, the rear wing appeared to stall and with the fuselage in the vertical position, it did a fast axial roll as if one tip stalled before the other. It was scary but the model quickly recovered to normal flight. I believe I tried it one more time later with the same result. As Don said, with UP elevon at the rear, you lose lift and with sudden nose UP the AOA increase causes stall. The landings are smooth with a normal glide attitude. Thanks for showing.
Charles