HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:59 PM
Jets are for kids-of all ages
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Finally warmed up enough here in North-central Florida to fly. I took the Veloicty and the Reactor Biplane out for a jaunt. They both flew great. Hopefully I will get to go again tomorrow a.m. as the weather is supposed to keep getting warmer. Still working on the XP-56. and I am thinking of a new canard project with the foam board. Maybe do something like your SSX or the Aero-ray? Still thinking......
Roger
mullinspsm is offline Find More Posts by mullinspsm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
Canard Driver
san diego, ca.
Joined Nov 2002
428 Posts
Long Ez

Still having a ball with this plane! However the other day I guess I did'nt
plug the battery in well enough and it came straight down from 150 Ft. dead stick,so while putting the pieces together, I've added landing gear! so I can't
wait to give it a try next week......
Dick
R.A.P. is offline Find More Posts by R.A.P.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:01 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
You'll have fun with the landing gear, canard touch and goes are great.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:05 AM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
Gentlemen, this is going to be the next premier flying site in the Deep South.

And while the first official "aircraft" to take to the skies was a paraplane, followed by a helicopter, the 2nd actual model airplane was my version of Mr. Charles' Georgia Goose. Enjoy!

Rube

http://www.mmrccforum.com/index.php?...o60&topic=61.0
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
Old Jan 25, 2009, 09:09 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Rube, Congratulations on getting that incredible site! You must have some super nice leaders in Jackson. I look forward to the day that we can meet at your first event and let our Geese fly together. Thank you for sharing the news with us, I will sign in.
Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
Charles,

Either you or Speed-E-Flyer gave me a set of Tri-Star plans a few years back. I'm embarrassed that I don't remember for sure which. In any case thank both of you so much, either for the plans or for all of the informative canard posts! I haven't done anything with the plans yet simply because of the lack of a wing.

Is there maybe someone out there now that is cutting wing cores for this plane? If so does anyone have a link? I honestly haven't tried to build a balsa wing for it but if I can't find cores I may have to push a buddy to design one in CAD for me to have it laser cut in balsa. I've never had a canard and I'm so intrigued by them. One way or another I intend to have one very soon. I love the looks of the Tri-Star and I hope I can make one happen as my first.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:02 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
There's a guy in Texas that does foam cutting. He can take plans you provide and quote off of them, then return the plans with the cores. I had him cut some cores for a QAC Quickie last year. IIRC, the shop is called Flyin Foam. He may already have the cores in his computer also. http://www.flyingfoam.com/

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Joe, It was canard lover Speed-E-Flyer. You can find him here on page 59: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...320173&page=57
Charles
PS Have you tried Sig Mfg for parts?
Last edited by canard addict; Jan 27, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:20 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Here is my latest (quasi) canard. If it flies I would like to make operating canards for it.
Last edited by mullinspsm; May 12, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:35 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
Joe, It was canard lover Speed-E-Flyer. You can find him here on page 59: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...320173&page=57
Charles
PS Have you tried Sig Mfg for parts?
I e-mailed Sig after I got the plans. They don't have anything but decals for it. They said they were considering bringing several models out of retirement and the Tri-Star would be one of them. You know how that goes though.......

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:39 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,633 Posts
OK guys, I finally got from Hi 8, to DVD, to coversion to You tube.
I have 9 videos here, and drawmeolder is my other name
phase one (6 min 26 sec)

Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:20 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Thanks, Johnny, I enjoyed the video. Did you say that those are 280 motors running on a three cell 2100? In my opinion you placed those motors in a perfect spot. Charles
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,633 Posts
CA !
Yes, the fans are running 280's. and the props are running speed 300's. 1 oz lighter for the props, and LOTS more snort!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Okay Capt'n C and the rest of the reversed donkey set, here's another one of those oddities found in the BDF's File Cabinet of Fond Memories, unearthed after seeing Capt'n C's twin dustbuster soarer machine.

Except this one comes from April 1955. Kevin Saunders designed 'TYTO' and published the plan in RCME - Radio Control Models & Electronics, the second best RC mag (possibly ) to come out of England, though unarguably the longest running.

Hardware in TYTO's development included suchlike as seven 1700SCRC Nicads and a 19 turn triple wet mag motor in a 'Morley' fan. The article covers some interesting points on development, eventually ending up with the model that Kevin published. The final "TYTO" had 17 nicad cells - that's around 36 ounces of battery, for those who've only just come in to this performance - 58" span, 690 square inches of wing area, and lifted off at 6lbs 1oz. Static thrust of 42 ounces proved okay to take off tarmac.

The model was made from a mix of balsa, ply , blue foam and covered in brown paper and white glue. It had fixed gear, but take away that nicad, fit a LiPo pack and lose the 20 turn ferrite brushed motors for suitable brushless and I dare say you'd win the argument with Mr Gravity over retracts.

With modern power, you might get away without Kevin's other innovation to assist take off of this model - a rocket! An Estes D12-0 booster motor, 4lbs thrust for 1.5 seconds, was bolted to a 'firewall' between the jetpipes for a little extra thrust and fun.

I've included a couple of the article pages - however, they are scans of fairly dismal photocopies, so not that bright, plus the plan was pretty small, to fit on a mag page. However, if anyone has started drooling, it's still available at:

http://www.myhobbystore.com/1090/Col...----Tyto-.html

I suspect the cost of the plan in the US would be around $25, plus whatever shipping they come up with. Not sure if RCME can lose the Value Added Tax of 15% - that's what you get with a universal sales tax, if any pols ever mention the subject BTW - that would save a little. If anyone wants paper copies of the article, drop me an email or PM.

Enjoy this history lesson

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Here you go Brothers
Scanned of the SIG TRI-STAR plans
Bottom is a bit cutoff, but you get the idea