HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:43 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,741 Posts
I know how you feel Roger. Still.. No pain - no gain. No risk - no fun. I bet the video's good.

Better luck next time.

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:03 AM
Canard Driver
san diego, ca.
Joined Nov 2002
428 Posts
canards

Yippes Roger--- I hope you can trace down the cause of the glich,don't
want to lose two planes that way!!!!!!!We have a certain part of the park
where I fly that on 72 mhs your plane will glitch!
Dick
R.A.P. is offline Find More Posts by R.A.P.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:25 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
Sorry about your crash, Roger. One of your cells may have hit zero volts. Most of my glitches have come from ESC's and I changed all over to better ones. I found that the antenna or receiver should never be close to the motor or ESC. Also a servo wire should never be close to the receiver front end. Lately, I replaced a receiver which had glitching at 50 feet with antenna down. I have crossed some brands off the list forever. Today is gloomy and wet here. Hope it improves later on. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:37 PM
Jets are for kids-of all ages
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Here is the link to the Crash Video, and some aftermath photos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL_qk...e=channel_page

Roger
mullinspsm is offline Find More Posts by mullinspsm
Last edited by mullinspsm; May 12, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:43 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
I was using a GWS park flyer receiver, (I know STUPID) but it has worked really good for so long that I didn't think much of it. After checking the system after the crash I noticed that the receiver crystal was wobbly. (That may have been the culprit.) I added some silicone to the base and locked it in, I am still using it on the 44" Velocity, I flew it this afternoon, and I believe that the 52" or maybe a 50" span would be the best for the type of flying I like to do. It was a little windy and a cross wind, the 44" span was a little to twitchy, It just don't have that big presence that the 52 had. (I think I will cut out a 50" next.)
Roger
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
This was the first time I had run two batteries in Parallel. I don't think it was anything related to that though. I checked both batteries after the crash and the both registered 11.36 volts. They had both started at 12.50, so they still had power in them. The motor still had plenty of spunk. You can see in the Video that the plane rolls 1/2 turn and the elevator just goes down. I had chopped the throttle after it started to roll, but it was of no use.
The 44" span weights 37.5 oz with two batteries, ready to fly. It has a lifting area of 385 sq. in. So it is about 10.1 oz per square foot. That is a little heavier than I would like, but I am needing the two batteries to keep from adding worthless nose weight. Roger
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:15 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
I would just guess receiver interference. Charles
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:55 AM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
I have learned the hard way to tape my rx crystals in place after having too many planes land the hard way with no crystal.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:01 AM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer
I have learned the hard way to tape my rx crystals in place after having too many planes land the hard way with no crystal.
Me too... I use tape or a drop of low melt hot glue, depending on what I have handy.
CRASH_Jim is offline Find More Posts by CRASH_Jim
Old Dec 27, 2008, 04:35 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Sounds like you guys have already learned the tricks with crystals. I "NOW" know the trick, I put a nice dab of silicone sealer at the base. I didn't get a chance to my Velocity today, I did fly my Reactor bipe and my scratch built yellow plane at my Father in Laws house, too windy through the trees, just a lot of turbulence, Not fun. I'll try the Velocity again tomorrow afternoon at the field. Since it has been in the 80's and beautiful everyday this week. (Central Florida) Next week is supposed to get cool. (in the 70's). We'll make due though.
Roger
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:09 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,407 Posts
hey guys, Roger ,I just realized you are pretty local to me I keep thinking about finishing my Double Delta i designed a while back which is a kit bash of a nitroplanes foam f-16 pusher. Here's a pic for a reminder, I lost a Sapac Eurofighter last tuesday but will be building a new one with a functioning canard this time very soon.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullinspsm
Here is the link to the Crash Video, and some aftermath photos. Roger
I like the music you chose.
CRASH_Jim is offline Find More Posts by CRASH_Jim
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,465 Posts
ACE!!!, Great to hear from you! I hope the canard bug is still after you. Are you having any E-vents down there? I need an excuse to get down to some warm weather. Here is what I flew today. Gave the canards a break. Charles
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,407 Posts
hey Charles, FITS will be coming up in a few weeks, I think it's the 16th-19th of January but I'll have to confirm that soon. I plan to be there with a few diverse planes, I still want to do a halfsize Delta Squared
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:51 AM
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH_Jim
I like the music you chose.
Thanks, on my earilier video it has a song from the band called "Mute Math" a former member of "Earthsuit" started it. That song called "Peculiar People" seemed to fit the video for us canard-iacs.
Roger