HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:37 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,483 Posts
Keith, I hope you will build something for us on that new bench. Larry, if that is the Avanti, check with Mustang Ace. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2008, 05:04 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Your right Brother Charles.
I saw a few post of Mustand Ace about his Avanti and will be sure to pick his brain.

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:38 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I wish I could have gotten one of those Avanti's from HL before they discontinued them, and I had more money for one. With the light at the end of the tunnel being turned off right now, I can't afford one if it came up for sale anyway. There's one that comes in at the local airfield from time to time. I love watching and especially hearing it come in. Those twin turbo props sure make a nice sound out the back.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:46 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Just throwing in a few idea pebbles Charles for a camera/UAV canard...
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Reversed Donkey fans
An OFB (Old Flying Buddy) of mine from England sent me this - he's a well-known font of very unusual stuff, so this barely rates above 'normal' for Gray.

We're talking about a guy whose ideal summer holiday is two weeks navigating around someplace in Europe, in his buddy's gaspetrol powered three wheeled milk float, in the annual Euro three wheeler rally!

Anyway, for all those lurkers and hoverers who've thought "I'd love a canard, but they are too tricky/I've no spare time/am scared rigid - here's the plan for you!

Make it from balsa, handy foam, carboard even. Take to largest room in house (or maybe your friend's house) and chuck it diagonally across said room - instant perfect weather flying field.

Now - who's going to make an IMAA legal ultra large scale version for a set of Minium micro radio and geardrive?

Have fun

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:15 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,142 Posts
That's pretty similar to the stuff I experimented with in early high school using those North Pacific brand clip-together gliders I bought for ten cents in the local pharmacy. I'd take the nose ballast clip off the fuselage nose and stick it on the "tail", and cut a slot in the top of the old "nose" for the fin. Put the wing and stab in the usual places but backwards, and I had an instant canard.

The other option that worked even better was to take two of them, glue the wing panels from one onto the tips of the other to make a wing with twice the span, then glue the fins onto the wingtips like winglets. Flew beautifully, but had trouble sustaining a turn due to the positive spiral stability caused by the sweep and the winglets. Launched in a bank, the positive spiral stability would roll it back to level flight within less than about a quarter turn, even with fairly steep initial bank angles.

BTW, despite double the span and double the wing area, the stab did not need to be any bigger. That pretty much puts to rest any rules of thumb about the stab needing to be 25 or 30% of the wing area, regardless of wing chord and tail moment arm.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Oct 25, 2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,483 Posts
Dereck and Don, Thanks to you for reviving the little boy in me. I still play with gliders and rubber power. The thrill is still there when I see a perfect glide with influences from air pockets on my models. We are having a fun fly tomorrow at Hilltop Flyers. We expect good weather, friends and food. To me, there is no better way to spend a day. Charles
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:06 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,479 Posts
canard addict,

Wow! Just found your fantastic thread.

Although built for a different function
I would like to share my first true canard
and say what a joy this new (to me) platform is to fly.

Not wanting to muddle your delightful thread with my clutter Iíll just post a link . . .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941813
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,483 Posts
Gramps, thanks for joining in and sharing your link which was a fun journey. I am just overwhelmed with the contributions to this thread from so many great modelers who are not satisfied with the ordinary birds and forge ahead to the challenge of finding new excitement. It seems to me that the canard threads are fanning out in a much bigger way now compared to just five years ago when I first scratched for design information. It's great to hear from you and others who usually say "WOW" when they get their hands on a well designed canard. Charles
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:47 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,847 Posts
Here are some pics of my D-Squared build.
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,483 Posts
It's looking good steve! The canard has sheeting to the crest of the ribs then cap strips. Check out page 59 post 872 for a picture. page 60 also shows more. The build starts on page 53 and is scattered among the posts until completion. Please be sure to use the dual elevon set up. Charles
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:25 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,847 Posts
Thanks Charles. Is there a way to jump directly to a post in any thread, without having to go page by page?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,483 Posts
Yes, Steve, you can go to the top of this page and under " search this thread" type in D Squared for some references. Up there is also a search box for all forums and if you type in "canard" you will be surprised what comes up. Charles
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:29 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,847 Posts
OH yeah, I've used the search features many times. I'm surprised you can't go directly to a post number, if you know which one you want to see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
You sort-of can...

See the number in the upper left of a post? For example, your post is #2264.

Click on that, and it'll pull up a new window:
(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2264)
Just edit the 2264 to 66, or whatever...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond