HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 02:34 AM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
711 Posts
Hi Charles,
Very nice building there. Its good to see so much traditional scratch building building here rather than ARTF.

Adrian
Adrianh is offline Find More Posts by Adrianh
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:55 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,462 Posts
Kit Evolution to Scratch

Adrian, Thank you for your interest in canards with your Bodkin, my project and our common interest in scratch building. After building many kits, I began to modify them with tiny changes at first and then to severely bash them until my last kit, the Sig LT-40 was built with only the wing ribs and the outlines of the plans. There has been a huge payoff in satisfaction, to build my own designs and to see how much weight might be saved in the process. My own designs started with canards and probably will move on to conventional types. There have been a few ARF's along the way including a Cessna Skylane, an Avistar tail dragger and recently a Great Planes Electric Stick to replace my scratch electric Ultra Stick which crashed. The ARF models have a place in our hobby but do not offer the satisfaction of creating your own design. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Last edited by canard addict; Jul 31, 2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:37 AM
Roanoke, Va.
Joined Jun 2007
59 Posts
Charles,
Please keep me posted on your Electrostik. I looked at this plane and may get one this fall after a little more stick time. At present we are on a trip to Canada and I have a Superfly and Cub in the motor home just in case I find a open area. I did just fly my Blade 400 helicopter around the camp ground. No stunts with the heli just straight flying. I am no where close to a 3D pilot with planes or helicopters.
Ken
ksalley is offline Find More Posts by ksalley
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:15 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,462 Posts
Ken, To stay on subject, I will show a couple of my favorite canards. The GP Electro Stick will most likely be a build log after my present project. I will let you know here when it commences. The Millennium Slow Stick and the Egret are two of my best fliers but Mickey Duck is also in the running. Charles
Old Aug 01, 2008, 02:07 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,175 Posts
Hi Charles -- How about a build log on your "present project"...that is... if it tumbles ? -- Randy
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:29 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Charles,

Have you seen James with his new 2X ssx?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1992246

I see a BIG SSX canard on the way

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 02, 2008, 09:55 AM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
the DUXSTER

hello All, i have this plane to post. thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888316
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
Old Aug 02, 2008, 10:35 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,462 Posts
Thanks, igo, I read your thread and enjoyed it. A video would be great. Charles
Old Aug 02, 2008, 10:46 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,462 Posts
Randy, I love the Tumble Buddy and can't wait to start on it. I especially want to see the flat spin at eye level. The 75% Goose will have to be finished first since I can only do one at a time. A build log will come to pass soon. The excitement level is high this year in spite of my slow down. Diggs, I cannot compete with James with his 1.75 hp giant. I just love my standard canard and will stick with it. A giant Ga. Goose would turn me on more. Charles
Old Aug 04, 2008, 06:12 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,462 Posts
75% Ga. Goose Build

The canard wing was mounted and the bottom filler was added. The fuselage top was covered with 1/32" balsa sheet. Charles
Old Aug 07, 2008, 03:30 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
Canard slope soarer - Completed!

The slope soarer is now completed. It was finished in Profilm red covering with fluoro yellow solartrim on the wings. The canopy is marked out with blue solartrim as well.

I have done some test lauches from the embankment in my local park. It seems to fly quite ok with the CG between 10 and 12% static margin. It needed a few clicks of up trim, but it is no more than 1/32" reflex in the outboard elevons. The stall seems gentle enough, which is a bit of a relief. The controls are quite positive for the range of speed I have tested. I think its possible that I could try moving the CG further back, but I'll leave it where it is for the moment. It seems like the canard incidence is correct and I see no reason to change anything before a proper maiden flight on the slope. I am very much looking foward to doing the mainden flight some time in the next week.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235
Last edited by John235; Aug 07, 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2008, 07:47 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,462 Posts
John, That is a beauty and I know you are proud of it. You may be the first on the thread to use flaps and also first without power. With the low decalage and small canard wing, it truly looks like a conventional design turned around. Did you figure the wing loading? Is it fast? Best of luck with further testing and please give us the results. Charles
Old Aug 07, 2008, 10:04 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
1,315 Posts
The wing loading is 7.3oz/sq' based on the total area of both wings. It seems to cover quite a lot of ground even from a hand launch, so my impression is that the glide is quite long and fast. The flaps are only intended to have the effect of air brakes so I can land more easily in the space available, which I think might be a problem otherwise.

Flying on the slope will be a much better test of speed and it will be interesting to see how it compares to other types of models on the slope. My expectations are not so great because I think that many people have tried canards before. Hopefully there is something I can learn from the experience.
John235 is offline Find More Posts by John235