HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2008, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Seff

We Arrived at 7:30 AM Wednesday and had perfect flying weather all day. Thursday was windy and was spent shopping for my new project which will be a light weight sheet balsa canard. Thursday evening we enjoyed the night light flying show with cool calm air. There was more canard interest this year and a professional photographer loved my Millennium SSX Slow Stick canard. I hope his employer also likes it. We left early Friday under windy conditions for home. We saw lots of friends both canard lovers and others we have met along the way. Attached are a few pictures. Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Last edited by canard addict; May 02, 2008 at 09:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2008, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Tom's canard.

First successful flight, today. Main wheels were too far aft on first attempt,
preventing take-off rotation.
The model takes off & flys quite well now.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old May 08, 2008, 12:08 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Thank you Lancer31 for the well done photos against a beautiful background. Please congratulate Tom for me on his successful design which reflects great craftsmanship. Charles
Old May 08, 2008, 07:46 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
Thank you Lancer31 for the well done photos against a beautiful background. Please congratulate Tom for me on his successful design which reflects great craftsmanship. Charles
I most certainly shall, Charles, and be assured, you just made an almost 81 year old's day! (And this 77 year old's, as well). Roger.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old May 08, 2008, 09:28 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
We Arrived at 7:30 AM Wednesday and had perfect flying weather all day. Thursday was windy and was spent shopping for my new project which will be a light weight sheet balsa canard. Thursday evening we enjoyed the night light flying show with cool calm air. There was more canard interest this year and a professional photographer loved my Millennium SSX Slow Stick canard. I hope his employer also likes it. We left early Friday under windy conditions for home. We saw lots of friends both canard lovers and others we have met along the way. Attached are a few pictures. Charles
Charles,

Great meeting you!! And the SSX Canard flies as well if not better in person than on the video. I bought a mini bipe from james at the event and think I will use my extra Micro SSX wing to do one of these myself! Thanks for the plans you provided. I was looking around for you and never saw you again, I see you left Friday. Saturday after the threat of the storm it was PERFECT weather. It got cooler and the winds were no where to be found

Again, great meeting you and hope to see you next year. Hopefully I will have a SSX Canard to fly with you by then.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old May 08, 2008, 07:01 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Diggs, It was great to meet you! You are a class act on the scooter. I have the Honda Silver Wing 600 scooter and enjoy the 55mpg. I hope you will build the SSX canard and if there are any vague building details, just let me know and more pictures will be provided. We left early Friday morning after 48 hours there. I hope to build a 36" Ga. Goose with my spare sheet balsa. The GWS 2205-15t with a 6-3 prop on two cells will power it. Charles
Old May 08, 2008, 08:42 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
That "Javlin" is one cool looking piece of weaponry! Love Diggs' take on two wheels too - if we ever get to a city where two wheels aren't regarded as targets, we're getting one like it - says Sue!

My ideal two wheeler does way better than any 55MPG. Wednesday, it did 63 miles on four bottles of Propel and three Powerbars

Gonna have to make SEFF one year, you guys are having too much fun and it makes a change to see folk there who did something, vice the magazine write-ups featuring who bought stuff. Thank you for the photos

Regards
Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 08, 2008, 09:14 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
Charles,thanks for posting the pics. Unfortunately i lost the Micro SSX Canard to a spectrum lock-out Friday night.It's nice to have the pics to look back on
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old May 09, 2008, 07:23 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck
Gonna have to make SEFF one year, you guys are having too much fun and it makes a change to see folk there who did something, vice the magazine write-ups featuring who bought stuff. Thank you for the photos
I second that.
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old May 10, 2008, 11:09 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Woo Hoo- I just flew a canard for the first time, All be it was a short maiden it flies and was cool just seeing a design that you built lift off and actually fly was nice. Thanks to whoever posted the canard C.G. calculator a while back, it saved my bacon.

Full story here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...18#post9730726
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old May 11, 2008, 07:49 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
Good show, Capt! It looked stable on ROG. Does it have good control authority up front? If not, it may be good to extend the ailerons and use elevon control with a fixed elevator on the canard wing. You seem to have a lot going well. If you want more stability in a canard type, you can increase the distance between the wings. Dereck, it would be great to see you and Magic 612 at SEFF with y'alls special designs. Charles
Old May 11, 2008, 08:23 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Capt
That is one amazing device! Bet you're not going to get any equipment overheating on there either

You can't beat going flying with YOUR creation!

Regards
Dereck
Maybe next year on SEFF, though we will be off on an overdue visit back to a small group of islands just east of Nooo Yoik in '09
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 16, 2008, 04:38 PM
Joined Jun 2005
2,439 Posts
It's good to hear from you again, bujora, and thank you for the show. Did you find the canard type smoother for the camera? Charles
Old May 16, 2008, 07:26 PM
Braila, Romania
Joined Oct 2007
273 Posts
[QUOTE=canard addict Did you find the canard type smoother for the camera? Charles[/QUOTE]

Well, Charles, I would say...YES, but.... :
I came to understand what Don was explaining in his posts: there is no inherent advantage of canards over other kind of configurations. It is about how well you do your homework on your particular project ! I have "succeeded"to design bad canards as well as other configurations.
Advantages come more from the practical side of things. Here are some of the design goals of my project and a few comments on how canard configuration helps more or less
1. Easy to be transported,assembled and disassembled in the back seat or trunk of a regular car. -- The lift generated by the 30% canard does help keeping the span of the wing small enough to fit, completely assembled, the above mentioned places.
2. Good penetration --90% of my AP sessions took place on windy conditions. It was easy to obtain good penetration for my canards.
3. Maximum protection for the motor-propeller and camera on "wherever you can" landings.-- Flying (and landing ) in whatever conditions you find when you arrive at the site to be photographed calls for some special measures ! Placing the motor behind everything else offers great comfort for the pilot in this case. Using big propellers with brushless motors keeps at a minimum the bad influence of the disturbed airflow from the fuselage.
CG location in between the two surfaces (canard and wing) combined with the need to fly with minimum ballast, will lead you to place the battery and the camera close to the middle of the fuselage. That is a very generous area that offers a lot of space and a lot of protection.
And last...the canard acts like a brake, absorbing the shock from whatever it will hit on landing. So far I could only "manage" to destroy the balsa elevators on the canard. Using coroplast and tape for hinges solved the problem.

As a disadvantage I will mention the difficulty to keep the relative position between the flying surfaces. This led me toward more structural simplicity : flying wing.

P.S. : It's been a month since I received Andy Lennon's "R/C Model Airplane Design" . It never left my desktop !
bujora is offline Find More Posts by bujora