HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
About to close...

I remember the TV surgeons always saying, "Would you like to close, Doctor?" Let me tell ya, I'm ready to close this one... Control system and antenna path are there. I am not a fan of antenna tubes. I usually just fish mine in the beginning, making sure I have a path. I will then use a piece of cotton thread attached to the antenna when/if I need to pull it out. Tape both ends of the string, and when you're ready, use it to pull the antenna back in place. Anyway you want is OK... A tube just means more lead in the nose... If you do a tube, you can make the bulkheads more complete... not that they really need to be.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:35 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
The further I go...

... the messier I get. In these two pics, the fuselage bottom is epoxied in place, and the aft fuselage is ready to have the bottom 1/4 sheet and triangle stock installed. After that, we'll start the fin / rudder assembly, and start shaping this thing out while waiting for glue to dry, and snow to melt. Whet up your old trusty carving knife. It will need to be sharp... I really think she's going to shape up nicely. There's plenty of meat on the corners that doesn't need to be there. That will allow it to round out almost perfectly round aft of the wing. There will be a little slab-sidedness forward of the wing, but it will hardly be noticable with the curvy canopy block in place.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Sorry but we're closed...

The fuselage aft section is now closed. Pretty anti-climatic so I didn't take any pics. My schedule is warping so I will probably not post anymore for a bit. I am supposed to go to Albuquerque on Sunday for a staff meeting that lasts until Tuesday. From there I go to El Paso for a couple of days. I hope to take a model and fly with the Albuquerque boys a bit on Saturday.

Progress so far... We have the wing built and waiting for finish sanding, covering, and spoiler rigging. The stabs are built and just need finish sanding, mating to the fin, and Monokote. The fuselage is almost completely built, awaiting shaping, sanding and covering. The fin / rudder still needs to be built and fit to the fuselage. The canopy block needs to be shaped, hollowed, finish sanded... and covered. I had hoped to make SWC, and fly this model in RES. It ain't gonna happen... sorry... I'm very disappointed about that. I'll be very lucky to make SWC at all. I may get to do some work on her tomorrow... if so I'll post a pic or two...

JW
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:01 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Much to do...

... yet, but progress is being made. Began by laminating my canopy and beginning the shape out of the whole thing. Still a lot of shaping to do and have to make the back of the canopy mate up to the wing. Even with just the octogon shape of the aft fuselage, the fuselage is nose heavy. When I take another ounce or so off in rounding, the finished model will probably balance with very little nose weight. However only time will tell on that. I have to do more shaping up front, as well... Lots of tail yet to build...

Here's a sneak peak.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Got a little...

... time unexpectedly this afternoon, so I continued the canopy fitting session. Looks OK to me so far. Lots of finishing work to do. Looks a little like a DG - whatever. They all have almost no nose cone and the canopy goes way out front. I'm a little disappointed in the weight of the fuselage, but there's still some meat to take off in places. The aft bolt and T-nut are in place. I used a countersunk 10-32 nylon screw there since the main bolt will be handling most of the stress, anyway.

Here she is...
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Another Look

A couple more so you can get the flavor of this fuselage.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:57 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
I use two 10-32's on mine. Plenty strong.

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:45 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Bolts

I was afraid a 10-32 would shear with that chunk of lead if I landed hard.. I used 2 10-32s on that green BoT and had no problems. I launched it plenty hard... Here's what my bolt pattern looks like... A couple of patches of tape and there's no drag...

Vertical tail when I get back from El Paso... about Thursday.

Thanks AJ

Jack
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
One more view...

... just to keep you interested...
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:02 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Looking good, Jack! Can't wait to see the finished ship!
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Old Feb 03, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Back home and...

... back at it... I have the fuselage shaping finished and I'm starting the vertical tails. That non-constant taper is kind of a bear to build. sure looks nice, though. The NACA010 makes the tail relatively thick, but that's what I wanted. The moment is a touch long for the chord, but about right for the span, so I believe the rudder authority will be good, even at reduced throws.

Anyway... here's what's happenin'
Old Feb 03, 2007, 11:59 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Vertical Mount

The vertical tail is mounted on the fuselage with epoxy. The slots for the belcrank have to line up, and that's when the pushrod has to go in. In order for the fin to fit correctly, the bottom portion has to be fit to the contour of the fuselage. I did this by wrapping 80 grit paper around the tail cone and using very short sanding strokes with the piece. The pics are very self explanatory...
Old Feb 04, 2007, 12:06 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Well...

... It ain't a flat sided box anymore. I am considering sanding a bit more off and making a mold from it. I know the glass fuselage would be a bit lighter, especially if I thinned the tail boom a bit. Not sure I want to go to that much trouble... Anyhow, it's looking more like I intended from the start, so here's a peek...
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Well, after all that work and careful consideration, I'm redesigning the vertical tail. I built the fin and just didn't like it... so I'll probably jump back on that tonight...

Going out to fly the real one today...

Jack
Old Feb 07, 2007, 10:13 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Just back from the edge of my world. The possibility of being transferred to Albuquerque came up today with my boss. He says it's about 70/30 that we will go either to Albuquerque or Ft. Worth within one year. Also said I'll probably have first choice between myself and the other guy at Winslow. Our territories are definitely being looked at... and I got a raise in salary today...

I should have the vertical tail done by Friday night. I'll post some pics and explanations. If the weather cooperates and turns to crap Friday night, I may have the airframe totally finished by the end of the weekend, and maybe some covering done. Details of the tail are finally worked out. I am actually working on another secret project in conjunction with this one, but no details are available...

Jack