HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
Don,

I lost a 400' tower last night. I was at the edge of the Caprock, just south of Post all day. It was never above 22 all day where we were. NOT a fun day... I need a job doing something I like... instead of running a crew outside with a state and a half for territory...

Phoebusflyer... look for Laser Arts link at houstonhawks.org. There's a short kit with plans. Send me a PM before you order it.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Hey Jack, thanks for the info. I will give you a heads up. I was wondering, though, does the Yardbird share the same airfoil, planform, etc. as the Hawk? What are their biggest differences? Are the wingspans similar? I haven't studied your build thread enough to know. The reason I ask, is I've always liked the looks of your Hawk, also. Would like to hear from "The Man" his take on the two planes.
Thanks, and sorry to hear about the tower. I'm sure that only happens when it's cold and icy or when the wind blows like Hades. Right? Pipelines only have problems when it's that way too!
Thanks again.
Allen
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
Allen,

The Hawk and Yardbird share nearly the same wingspan... both about 128", and sort of the same planform. Otherwise they're just about completely different. The Hawk functionally has winglets and the Yardbird has tip panels. The Hawk uses a wider chord, S3021 airfoil, and plug-on wings. Yardbird has a S3014 airfoil, a 3-piece, bolt-on wing with no center dihedral, and currently, a few choices for fuselages. If you wanted to build a Hawk, you could order a Victory fuselage from NSP, a plan set from Isthmus Models, a 1/2" X 12", 7-degree joiner and a stab belcrank from Hilaunch, and a short kit from Laserarts, and have just about everything you need, besides cf spar stock and wood. The spar stock is .060 X .5 cf for the top and .030 X .5 for the bottom. The build thread is kind of cluttered but you can get through it... and I am not that far away. This tower collapse is going to be fun, fun, fun. However, it's not that far from Seminole.

I'm finding more and more R/C soaring guys in this area. I have a fellow glider guy in Portales, that I haven't met, yet. O. L. Adcock is just down the road in Roswell... I have gotten to know the Amarillo and Albuquerque guys... We'll have some fun when this weather lets up.

Jack
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
Chile, Región Metropolitana, Santiago
Joined May 2002
373 Posts
Jack,

Would the pod and boom from Skybench fit the Yardbird wings?

BR from warm Chile (gliding has been bad though ),

Alex
Alex J is offline Find More Posts by Alex J
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
Hello Alex...

I don't think Skybench's pod is made for bolt-on wings. I believe they're made for Oly III wings and others that plug on... Houston Hawk wings would fit nicely... Did you ever get your Hawk spoilers done?

Jack
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:17 PM
Chile, Región Metropolitana, Santiago
Joined May 2002
373 Posts
Too bad 'bout the Skybench fuse... no, I haven't installed the spoilers yet... to busy flying the Ventus ... and I also have a Oly II in the works... fuse is almost done... next comes a Skybench Sunbird... maybe I'll finish the spoiler whenever I finish the Oly wings (they'll be without spoilers)...

BR,

Alex
Alex J is offline Find More Posts by Alex J
Old Jan 17, 2007, 09:42 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
I got to do some more exploratory work on the fuselage tonight. I got a new bottom tray made and some 1/8 X 1/2 spruce reinforcement glued to it. I also figured out that 3/4" of ballast tray will be better than 1/2" so I moved the tray down. It will be less work when hollowing out the canopy block, too. Unfortunately the weather and my work are going to hamper my progress somewhat. I'll probably be busy off and on for the next 2 months with this tower thing, so I'll be posting some progress occasionally... I don't expect to have too much to do this weekend while waiting for decisions and parts... so I may get the fuselage built. Forecast says snow Thursday night through Tuesday... so, we'll see... I've been tinkering with my Dragonfly, and with getting my Hawk refinished, some too... I'm about to go from 1 flying glider to 4... 5 if you want to count my real one... Oh Yeah!

Jack
Old Jan 17, 2007, 09:59 PM
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Hey Jack, so of the two, which do you think is the easiest to fly, thermal, land, etc.? Or is there not a nickels much difference in the flying, etc. of both planes? How about the build, is one more challenging? I don't mind challenging builds, just trying to decide which one I want to tackle first!
Yeah, when this weather lets up we need to see if we can get some folks together and have some fun. I'm really looking forward to dropping in on you guys at Littlefield when the full scale flying starts getting great.
Thanks, Jack
Allen
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
Allen,

Even though I designed and built most of the first Yardbird, I've only flown it twice. I sold it to Alan Jones as a project because I was pretty sure I was moving... gotta watch those Alan guys... and he finished it. I have flown the original twice and it was nice. If it wasn't a pretty good experience, I wouldn't be going to the trouble to get mine finished. The Hawk, on the other hand, I have flown for more than 400 hours... yes really... and so far, it's the best flying RES sailplane I've ever flown. I may change my mind after I get my Yardbird done, but the Hawk's still my pick. Maybe Alan Jones will reply here since he's got more experience with the Yardbird. I emailed Mark Miller with questions about Hawk progress. I hope he gets the kits out soon.

Jack
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Thanks, Jack. Are you going out tomorrow? I will be out getting ready for tie-ins on a project we have down around Odessa. Anywayyyy, I like the sound of both birds, and unless Mark Miller replies soon and with a really Glowing report, I will probably go with the Hawk for now. I'm sure I'll build the Yardbird too, just a little later.
Can you tell me where a good source of CF is? I know about Aerospace Composites, but I have NEVER worked with CF. I just thought you might know a Wal-mart of the CF world. All that being said, is there somewhere I can go and get handling and construction tips for CF? I have seen several of the folks post about respirators, itching, etc. and I would like to visit a good place that lays it all out for you.
Thanks,
Allen
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:05 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
I don't know of such a place for carbon fiber... I usually take it outside in the wind and wear a mask, too. It's probably not something that a tiny amount would hurt, but how much is a tiny amount? I just buy the width and thickness I need and cut it with a dremel wheel... again, outside and with a mask. I don't want the dust floating around my shop area. Mark Miller is doing the Hawk kits. He's told me that he is in the process of making the fuselage mold. The plans are done, and he's sending me a final copy for checkout. The ribset is available already, and won't change. I hope the release date is soon... I need a kit, myself.... but I wouldn't be opposed to building it on a Victory fuselage if I have to. I really need to get on with this Yardbird and get my Hawk fixed. I was all the way down south of Snyder today. Just need to pass on my findings and wait for a decision from higher up... Tomorrow's paperwork Friday...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
I did get back on the fuselage briefly tonight. I clamped it all down straight and epoxied the wing saddle in place. Tomorrow night, I'll post a couple of pics and glue in the lower tray and nose block. I'll also probably make the lower, aft fuselage piece and get it fitted, but I won't install it untill all the control system is worked out. The lower front may get made tomorrow night, too. When it's finish sanded, if it seems strong enough, I'll just put Oracover on it. I'm going to try this stuff again, but only on the fuselage. I hear it's easier to work on solids than Monokote, so the fuselage, and fin/rudder will be white Oracover. If it seems to twist too easily, I'll probably glass it and paint it.

Jack
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:45 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebusflyer
I just thought you might know a Wal-mart of the CF world.
I think the CF world is monopolized by Gucci, not Walmart

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,776 Posts
Snowing in Clovis... We're buried...

I did some gluing last night on the fuselage. I didn't do nearly as much as I'd like as I am having trouble with the epoxy setting up. I have a heater going but it's inadequate and we're under 9" (so far) of new snow... and it's still coming down. In my lifetime this is the most snow I've ever seen. It's supposed to clear out tomorrow somewhat, and the wind isn't supposed to blow too much, so I may go fly in the snow... I need to maiden my Dragonfly... and with a snow cushion, maybe it won't be so bad... I'll do some more epoxy up in a bit and post a couple of pics.

Jack
Old Jan 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Jack,
Just relax, I live in Prescott Arizona -about the same longitude- and we had 4-5 inches this morning. Its gone and the skies are relatively clear. Im at 5800 feet altitude so it doesnt clear that fast normally. It will be clear for you soon.
I hope....
Bob
PS. WE all want to hear about the Dragonfly. Ive always wanted one, just for looks if nothing else.
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue