Works for me!
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 08:39 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Jack,

I gave you my current CG, but forgot to weigh mine for ya. I'm at 52 oz. right now. I'll credit some to sky sheen.. (which you WILL need), and minor crash repairs. I also beefed up the Art Hobby fuse some because the wing mount area is pretty fragile, and required a stick of CF laminate on each side. Your wood fuse will weigh more than the stock AH High Aspect fuse assy., but I'm sure will be stronger where it's needed...

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Jan 08, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
AJ,

?Que es "Sky Sheen"? Are we talking about the reflective leading edges? Heck, mine may be heavier than Roland's before I'm done... My wings and tails are really coming in light but this fuselage is giving me fits... My biggest problem is I can't seem to remember that I'm going to shape and sand half of it away...

I got new stabs drawn and ribs cut for 2 stabs last night. Tonight I weenied out and repaired stabs for my Hawk. I'm going to have it back in the air by the weekend, just in time for the next snow... I knew better than to leave Houston... You guys will have trees leafing out in 2 weeks... but at least I'm not having to mow right now. Oddly enough, here at 4300 feet, the wind doesn't bother the models as much as down at sea level... you don't have to ballast up near as much. At 6000, over where the ABQ bunch flys, it really doesn't take much at all.

Sorry for rambling, and I'd better get back to it... SWC is coming and I may yet get to go.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 08, 2007, 09:28 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
"?Que es "Sky Sheen"? Are we talking about the reflective leading edges?"

Yup!

Your lighter tail will help a lot. I think I put 5 OZ in the nose of mine to balance the Vtail... You will save in both places.

AJ
Old Jan 08, 2007, 09:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
So, AJ,

You think 45 oz. is doable? I might still make it to that. I may yet start fresh on this fuselage. By the way, any idea what your tails weighed?

Jack
Old Jan 09, 2007, 05:06 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
I think it was 3 oz. The first Yardbird was 39.5 oz on maiden, it had CF joiners. The 2nd wing used steel and by then, the fuse needed bracing and other stuff was added. You are also using one servo for spoilers.

Yes, 43 is doable.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 09:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
On with the show!

Well, I cut out all those nice pieces for 2 stabs, and then repaired the one for the Hawk. Looked easier than building a new one. Then I spent most of last night drawing a V-tail. Well tonight, I'm building stabs. I printed off 2 sets and taped them together... and got most of the way through the first one. This is about 2 hours worth but consider that all the parts for the second stab were cut at the same time. I even did the leading edge sheeting and trailing edge notches all at once... mass production... I'll build both just in case I need another one soon... and I'm still thinking on the fuselage, but had some urekas on a napkin when I got home.

Work is happening again so I'm pretty bushed, and probably will only epoxy the axle tube to finish this evening. So, here's what is done so far. I'll epoxy the tube in, and lay the top cf spar on so the epoxy gets it too. The front tube will go in after the two halves get cut apart. I'll separate them just enough to be able to cut the tube before applying epoxy. That way I can use the belcrank to set the front tube for a perfect fit. The bottom sheet will go on after the front tube is in... yep, it's built upside down. It will actually have just a touch of dihedral, since one side was built flat. Looks wierd with a touch of anhedral, so keep up with which side is up...

Another word about sanding. We're making these stabs and the fin with 1/20" sheet. I am notching my ribs very slightly for the .007 cf spar caps. That's about the thickness of 2 sheets of printer paper. That will keep me from having a spar bump. The sheet I'm using is very light, and sort of soft. I'll be block sanding these stabs starting with 240 grit and no pressure. I only want the major irregularities knocked off of them to begin with. We'll finish sand these with 320 and 400. It will be very easy to sand through the sheeting, so keep your build accurate, and make sure your sheeting sticks to the ribs perfectly. Be careful with those tiny ribs. Also, taper the thickness of your trailing edge to match the ribs... you'll thank me later for that one. If you haven't started your wing, you may want to use an emery board cut to 1/4 and notch the wing ribs, too... That will save some sanding and some strength. My next one will be done that way.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Jack,
Compufoil says that NACA 010 is a 10% thick foil. Did you leave it at 10 or did you thin it a little?
Dave
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
Left it 10% thick at the root, but blended it to NACA008 at the tip, which is 8% thick.

JW
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
Read 'em and weep...

Well, Ok... read the scale. This has the rods in and all. Just needs Monokote. I was hoping to bring in the stabs at 2 oz. or less... just the stabs... This was a good surprise even to me, at 1.7 oz. with all the hardware. They seem pretty strong. Not easy to twist. I used pretty firm 1/20 sheet on this pair. The other set of sheeting is a bit softer, and lighter. It may come in lighter, yet. I will probably be a bit easier on the epoxy in the joiner area, too. As long as they are strong enough, the lightest pair will be used on this project.

Let's talk about glues a bit. Glue, not in the joint, is just weight. I have some little pipettes that I use for ca glues. They allow me to use just enough. Even though this stuff seems to disappear, it adds almost all the weight of itself to the airframe.... so be careful to use enough, but not too much.
Last edited by schrederman; Jan 24, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
My wife is...

... maybe... trying to tell me something... Soooo... I'll be taking a cleanup break... We'll probably resume with the vertical tail Saturday, since the weather's about to turn white again.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 01:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
Sorry, would love to be working on it, but it's just too cold for my heater to keep up in the garage. Probably no progress until later this week. I may get permission to bring in my Houston Hawk and polish the fuselage, and maybe do some covering...

Jack
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:50 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,675 Posts
What the ...

... heck is this. Long-time Clovis residents of this area say this is the worst winter they ever remember... and it ain't over, yet. It's certainly worse than last year... I guess I'm paying for taunting our northern brothers about their winters while I was still in Houston, where spring will probably begin in a couple of weeks...

Anyhow, it's given me time to think about this fuselage situation, and I've been doing some more drawing. My concept is sound, with a few dimensional changes. Looks like I may be going to Albuquerque and El Paso this week so I'll hit it hard about Friday night.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:16 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Hey Jack, where can I get plans and other stuff for a Yardbird?
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:11 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,422 Posts
Jack,

You got off easy. Here in Tulsa we have a 2" layer of hard frozen sleet. WHen you walk on it you leave no footprints -- if you can stand up. We got off easier than places 50 miles to the southeast. Our precipitation froze before it hit the ground (sleet) -- it didn't stick to the wires and trees very much. 50 miles away it came down wet and froze to hard, clear ice -- bringing down trees and power lines. 14,000 people in McAlester (not including the dudes in prison there) are (and will be for some time) without power. Just remember, at our lattitude spring still comes every year (almost),

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban