HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:56 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Mar 2005
121 Posts
last question... i think... not much more to ask about... ha

getting to work out the pushrods and such... i've already had a bit of a pain mounting these servos in the pod. at first they were up in the nose at an angle to try to keep more weigh forward... but there was no way i could manage to get the nose cone on with how tall the servos... so that's why there is a plywood deck there... had to redo, rethink it. so where the servos are now seemed to be the best place to locate them... i couldn't even mount them to the pod, they are mounted as low as possible, on separate mounting blocks, just about touching the floor of the pod... still with all of this, i was hoping to get to use the second hole on the servo horn... well as it sits now, (what you see) the servo arms are rubbing on the nose cone when it's on... so i don't think i can trim it down any more with it still holding it's strength.. so i think i might have to use the innermost hole now. any thoughts?? i guess at this point, i really don't have an option, i'll just have to see how much movement i can get in the tail surfaces. and if need be i think i can extend the servo range in my radio. we'll see what happens.

matt
jmfitzgerald is offline Find More Posts by jmfitzgerald
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Matt,

I sometimes mount my servos on an angle. You can put the output arms closer to the center that way and use all the arm you need.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Mar 04, 2009, 12:51 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Mar 2005
121 Posts
well i'm now shooting myself in the foot now... i was hoping to get it all done today (tues) for it's maiden tomorrow (wed)... but i don't think that's going to happen... as i was worried, i just can't get enough throw with the servos to move the tail surfaces how i would like. and now to correct the problem, it think i might have to redo the entire pod layout? i also might need a shorter servo, because when i had them further up in the nose i just couldn't get them to clear the nose cone because of the height of them??? and i'll probably need new push rods because they will be too short, or i guess i could "extend" them???

i'm just a bit bummed, because i was SO excited for the maiden tomorrow. anybody out there that has used an art hobby high aspect pod, can you post how you arranged your servos, what they were, and what solution worked for you???? and anyone have any great ideas to get me back on track??? thanks!

here is some pics to show what i am currently getting. the rest of the install went great today, i think i've got a great ballast system rigged up, and everything else is great except the most important part, the R&E in and RES ship!!!
Old Mar 04, 2009, 07:14 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
723 Posts
Matt,

Your stab throw looks to be plenty. I'm assuming you can get an equal amout of up?

As far as the rudder, can you move the clevis on the control horn in toward the surface any? That would get you more throw. Not sure if would get you enough, but worth a try before you start pulliung things out of the fuselage.

If it doesn't get you what you need, I would go with Jack's suggestion and mount the servos at a slight angle across the fuselage so you can use longer servo arms.

John
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Old Mar 04, 2009, 07:27 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
I used the High Aspect fuse and had the same problem with the servo horns rubbing the nose cone on the prototype Yardbird.

My solution was to lay the servos down with the horns pointing up. I have maximum throw available. The on-off switch is gooped to one of the servos.

You could extend the length of the inner rods with a long threaded rod at the servo end. They will just screw into that inner rod (go in at least 3/8"). I had to do this in a pinch on another ship and it works...

But I see you are using carbon rods... You would have to splice them somehow...

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Last edited by solo6796; Mar 04, 2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:01 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Mar 2005
121 Posts
thank you, all, for your input... now i think i got it all sorted! i was able to remove the wood around the control horn in the rudder to extract it, once it was out, cleaned i up, put a new balsa mounting block in there, and reinstall the control horn MUCH closer to the hinge line, vs where it was at. now i can get 2 1/4" movement in each direction, which i feel much more comfortable with, vs the about and inch in each direction i was only getting with the original install.

i also finished up the spoilers, and boy did it take some work... shaving some balsa here and there, fitting this and that, and wallah, done deal.

now it's all ready to go, but one more question on the CG, jack. you said start with 4 5/8" back from LE and you even fly it at 4 7/8"... and man that seems to be far back with a root chord of 9"... and if i run the numbers in a CG calc, (see attached photo) it tells me much further forward... any thoughts? could it be the differences in our fuses or tails? but that sure seems like a big difference.

Matt
Old Mar 06, 2009, 04:34 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Mar 2005
121 Posts
it's a success!!!

it fly's!!! with support from fellow club members, i went for it today even though it was pretty windy! i got the the field about 11:30, did a range check, and had to adjust the antenna placement just a bit. eventually had to string it up to the top of the rudder and then all was well. next was the test glides....... it was a bit nerve racking trowing something into the wind, that i have been working on for the last 2 years on and off......... but, holy moly this thing wants to fly, and floats FOREVER!!! i walked a LONG way to go retrieve it, so then up on the winch it went. it was a bit windy, almost too windy for me for me to even to goto the field, but the forecast isn't looking any better the next couple of days. so with an unballasted RES ship, that weighed in at 47oz (total, with added nose weight), it got pushed around the sky quite a bit. it even flew backwards a couple times! but the big news is, even though it was getting pushed around alot, i still got an 11 minute flight out of it, just wind surfing! it was great! now just waiting for some better weather to really start trimming it out, but it was a GREAT first outting for it! many thanks to all, for the support!

Matt
Old Mar 06, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Matt,

Did you take the sweep into account when you figured the CG? Where did you end up putting it?

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Nicely done... you came in 1 oz. lighter than mine.

JW
Old Mar 06, 2009, 07:09 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Mar 2005
121 Posts
i started at 4 1/2" back from the LE. i got a GREAT test glide, but that was about my only window of somewhat calm air. after that, it became pretty windy and i really didn't get a feel of how the CG really was. it was very turbulent up there for such a light unballasted ship. but with all that said, i was pretty impressed that i was able to get an 11 minute flight out of those conditions, and especially for the first day out! i think its going to be a REAL winner!

matt
Old Mar 06, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
I can tell you folks that Matt's plane looks great. I've seen its innards too, while he was building it -- meticulous! He's a craftsman. During the build, he came over to use my milling machine to make a little slot in the bottom of the stab, and the two of us spent about an hour fiddling around to remove about 1/4 gram of material.

Anyway, it's a wonderful job and a neat plane. It was way too gusty and turbulent today to really trim any RES plane, but spring is here, and he'll soon have it all sorted out. He was all smiles when he packed up and headed home.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Mar 06, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Far out, Man!!! (Oh heck, I probably just dated myself.) There's not much in the modeling world as satisfying as having someone else enjoy your designs... now if I can just find someone to plot my Journey plans for me...

Jack
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
521 Posts
Getting close to done with my YB. Weight with servos and battery in the nose as she currently sits is ~39oz.

Just need to hook up the linkages, cover, install spoilers etc. Shouldn't be long now

Sorry for the embarrassingly bad photos, my digicam is down and my phone has a weak camera.
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Cool... Please post a close up of those tails...

Jack
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:57 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,332 Posts
The tail looks like the Alcyone construction.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 16, 2009, 04:54 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Cool... Please post a close up of those tails...

Jack
Any particular part you want to see? My phone camera is pretty lame so I don't know how much detail I can get. They are a different design than the plan. The vertical has a touch more area than the original (slightly different shape too). The horizontal is basically copied from a couple different models I have. About the same area as the original YB design. I'm still deciding if I want to put carbon spar caps on it or not.

The bellcrank area is sheeted with 1/32" ply on each side over a builtup structure and is 3/8" thick sanded to a nice airfoil shape.
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe