HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2002, 07:01 AM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Aarhus
Joined Jul 2001
115 Posts
Is this MEGA new or do they fool me?

Hi there, I just bought two mega's: 16/15/2 and 16/15/3
The /2 looks very nice, has leads like i've seen before.
The /3 looks has an odd design: instead of leads it has soldering sticks. Further, I can see a soldered joint trhough one hole, and its very close to touching the endplate.

Is the "/3 model" their new construction, or did they give me an old model from the trash?

16/15/2:

16/15/3:
PropelLars is offline Find More Posts by PropelLars
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2002, 07:05 AM
Elk Grove,Ca.
Joined Mar 2002
236 Posts
Yes, That is their new design.
701 Super Jet is offline Find More Posts by 701 Super Jet
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:56 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,503 Posts
I like it!

Wished my collection of BL motors were like this-sure would help the problems that I'm having with my Krontronik!
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Sep 13, 2002, 08:03 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Jan 2002
334 Posts
I agree with the other fliers. I just purchased a 4T from a vendor I fully trust (aircraft-world.com) and the motor came with the 3 soldering sticks on the back of the motor, instead of the 3 wires as the motors I purchased about a month ago.

Enjoy,

Flying Cat
Flying Cat is offline Find More Posts by Flying Cat
Old Sep 13, 2002, 09:07 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
i liked the earlier version better ...........gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Sep 13, 2002, 10:01 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
I tend to agree with gregg

Tell me there was a great big cry from modellers world wide to ..please, please, remove those nice factory installed leads with their gold plated connectors, from the mini Mega motors and I just might try to understand this move.....

But let me go on believing that this is just another move at eliminating material in order to create a better profit margin and to make the modeller's life a bit more complicated, and it results in some head shaking...

In electric circuits, the almighty CONNECTION is SO importent. I think this move will result in some rotten connections being made and the reputation of the motor and hence the company could suffer...!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:11 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Hmmmmm - I didn't really like those terminals sticking out of the back of the Model Motors miniACs like that and now Mega's doing the same thing. Time to drop a note to Ken and see what gives.....

(coming back a little later...)

On the other hand, this terminal setup allows you to have the motor leads be whatever length you need without splicing wires, and even allows you to solder the leads from the ESC directly to the motor if you'd like.

I'll still ask Ken about it.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Sep 13, 2002 at 11:25 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 04:17 AM
Mebbe I'll fly this year??
Colne, Lancs, ENGLAND, UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,092 Posts
hi guys. i also have just got one of these new mega's, and it's my first brushless. has anyone had a problem soldering wires to these terminals? i'd just like to know before i start on mine, as i don't want anything to fall off inside the case if i get the terminal too hot. thanks
Speed E Freak is offline Find More Posts by Speed E Freak
Old Sep 14, 2002, 11:08 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed E Freak
hi guys. i also have just got one of these new mega's, and it's my first brushless. has anyone had a problem soldering wires to these terminals? i'd just like to know before i start on mine, as i don't want anything to fall off inside the case if i get the terminal too hot. thanks
Id tin the cable end first and put some flux on the terminal. Then heat the cable and not the terminal when attaching the cable to the motor. That way the terminal stays as cool as possible and should definately be fine.

I got my Megas today and they all have terminals.

/Erik
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
Old Sep 14, 2002, 11:39 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,375 Posts
I got my Mega 1615/4T the other day with terminals also. I'd have much preferred the wires out the back. I'm going to put some short wires on with connectors and I'd have much preferred not to have to do this extra step. Soldering the ESC directly to the terminals is probably best but it certainly doesn't make it easy to move around if you have to solder and unsolder. Can't be good for the solder connection within the motor either if you solder and unsolder a number of times.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Sep 14, 2002, 01:19 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GBR2
I got my Mega 1615/4T the other day with terminals also. I'd have much preferred the wires out the back. I'm going to put some short wires on with connectors and I'd have much preferred not to have to do this extra step. Soldering the ESC directly to the terminals is probably best but it certainly doesn't make it easy to move around if you have to solder and unsolder. Can't be good for the solder connection within the motor either if you solder and unsolder a number of times.
Ive seen some guys who have soldered gold connectors directly on the terminals. A great option if you want to be able to move things around easily.

/Erik
Old Sep 14, 2002, 03:58 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Johansson

Ive seen some guys who have soldered gold connectors directly on the terminals. A great option if you want to be able to move things around easily.

/Erik

Well now...if your going to do that ...you might as well put some 3 inch leads in front of those gold connectors and.......Hey..! Wait a minute...now we are back to exactly what we had before...except the manufacturer got YOU to pay for the wire and connectors ...! Damm, ain't those manufacturers smart..! And what about US..are we smart..?

I rest my case...

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Sep 14, 2002, 04:36 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
I am finding terminals quite handy. If you solder 2.5mm MGM Com
Pro or 3mm Jeti female connectors directly to the terminals and add some heat shrink over, you will end up having very compact instalation and you would still be able to change motor rotation.
If you use electronic grade soldering wire, it will melt at much lower temperature than the one applied to the terminals, so desoldering something inside the motor should not be an issue.
It is very important to quickly pre-tin both connectors and terminals. Push the connector into a soft balsa stick in order to hold it while doing the final joyint. That way you don't have a heat sink as would be the case if connector is held with pliers and amout of heat required to make the joyint is much smaller.

Zoran
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva
Old Sep 14, 2002, 04:48 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Yep compact installation is what I need in my sp400 sized pylon racers. No room for several inches of wire and connectors between the motor and esc. I think that soldering connectors directly to the terminals are a good way of doing it.

Just one question though. My terminals arent all that straight. Are the mounted firmly enough to the motor so I can use a pair of pliers and bend them to be exactly straight?

/Erik
Old Sep 14, 2002, 06:23 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
My understanding is that connectors are actually rivetts and they can be easily bent even by hand. Be careful while connecting and disconnecting ESC wires (hold the motor end firmly) to avoid bending the terminals.

Zoran
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva