SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2006, 06:58 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Feb 2005
88 Posts
Discussion
Ft. Worth/Dallas Area Indoor Sites (Bedford and Arlington)

The Bedford and Arlington sites are unavailable this week and next, because the local schools are on Christmas break. Flying will start up again after New Years Day with specific data for each site given below.

Indoor Flying in Bedford

The regular R/C flying sessions at Bedford Boys Ranch Gym (100 x 105 ft with 25 ft smooth ceiling) will begin again on Thursday, January 4th. The gym is located in Bedford at the southwest corner of Harwood and Forest Ridge. The official time slot is 1:00 to 3:30 pm for R/C, but since there is a free flight group (mostly rubber band sport and Peanut-scale) flying up until 1:00, some of us get there early to participate in that, or just watch and talk to them. Also note that flying sessions get bumped for school holidays and occasionally at other times.

These Thursday sessions are open to electric (or CO2) powered R/C aircraft (except 3-D) and there is no charge to fly. Small helicopters, flown mainly in a hover, are acceptable, but larger helicopters or those that are flown aggressively are considered 3-D.

Contact is Rod Taylor at: rodtaylor33@sbcglobal.net for more info, operating guidelines, and to get on his email list.

Separately from this group, the 3-D guys have had a Friday afternoon session. But unfortunately, Bedford is not really ideal for 3D because there is no protection for spectators.

Indoor Flying in Arlington

The regular Tuesday and Friday flying sessions at the Elzie Odom Recreation Center will be in the usual time slot (9 am to 4 pm) beginning Friday January 5 (Tuesdayís session is bumped because school doesnít start till Wednesday).

Also as usual, since other recreational activities (and userís paying the normal rent) have priority over us, we may occasionally get bumped, or sent to one of the smaller rooms, or possibly limited on time. If that happens (and I know about it), Iíll try to get the word out. As of now, I know that we will be bumped for school vacations at Spring Break (March 12 Ė 16) and Good Friday (April 6).

If you have to come from far away, I recommend that you call ahead, just in case, to avoid being disappointed by a last minute change. The other side of this is that some folks have been able to fly at other than the scheduled time by calling ahead to see if anyone is using the arena (phone number of the front desk is 817 462-3700). Address is 1601 Green Oaks Blvd in northeast Arlington (about 1/4 mile east of Collins).

For those who havenít joined us before, this venue is an 80 x 180 ft indoor hockey/soccer arena with wood floors and about a 25 ft ceiling. There is a convenient pit area behind Plexiglas walls and nets, as well as accessible wall outlets for charging. The charge is $6.00 per pilot if you just walk in. For Arlington residents there are various memberships available that allow additional savings.

Electric aircraft of all types are flown, including helicopters and 3-D. So far this has been pretty informal and there has not been a compelling reason to have a lot of restrictions. While everyone is probably an AMA member, it isnít a requirement and there is not a frequency board or transmitter impound. We have a pretty courteous group and everyone seems to be able to fly all they want without imposing flight time limits. The centerís management is, of course, concerned with the safety (perceived or actual) of our flying activities. And consequently, have asked us to keep kids off the floor and to mind the second floor balcony, which is unprotected by walls or nets.

Because of the long time slotÖ and the fact it is a weekday, not many flyers are there all day (typically the most active time is late morning to mid-afternoon). So if no one is flying when you arrive at the front desk to pay your $6.00, just ask staff members to turn on the lights and prepare enjoy your own rather awesome, private indoor flying site.

Pat Squires
Capt Condor is offline Find More Posts by Capt Condor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:54 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,561 Posts
Appreciative!

Pat,

Thanks for all the great info! Hoping to make it to one of these sessions before TOO long.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Last edited by sr71fan; Dec 20, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:44 PM
Joined Nov 2006
24 Posts
Hi Pat,
live in dallas and would love to come out and watch and learn and ask a endless amount of questions....is that ok?
lonestarcarper is offline Find More Posts by lonestarcarper
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:39 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Feb 2005
88 Posts
Gary,

Be sure to give us a "heads up" when you head this way. It's been too long, man. We're tired of seeing the same old airplanes around here.

Lonestar,

Watchers and questioners are always welcome at both places. Just be cautious. People may offer to let you fly something... "just to see what it's like". Innocent people have become addicted to flying toy airplanes indoors as a result. And it can get expensive. You have been warned.
Capt Condor is offline Find More Posts by Capt Condor
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:12 AM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,884 Posts
Gary

I agree with Pat that its about time you showed up for some of the local DFW doings. Here is a couple of more dates to add to your calender. We will be flying the Sunday 21st of January from 12 to 6 at the LMRA facilities at 3400 Bryant Irving Road in Ft Worth. Also February 18th and March 18th same day same time and I can guarentee perfect weather and minimal winds. As always you are welcome to come as well as anyone else wanting to play. Merry Christmas folks.

ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:29 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
Hey, what about evening times for the working stiffs? For those of us that can't get there during the daylight hours.
MonkeySee is offline Find More Posts by MonkeySee
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:35 PM
Joined Nov 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Condor
Gary,

Be sure to give us a "heads up" when you head this way. It's been too long, man. We're tired of seeing the same old airplanes around here.

Lonestar,

Watchers and questioners are always welcome at both places. Just be cautious. People may offer to let you fly something... "just to see what it's like". Innocent people have become addicted to flying toy airplanes indoors as a result. And it can get expensive. You have been warned.
I have a pico stick and a tiger moth...but I am afriad I am not very good, also if anyone is intrested the company I work for in carrollton has about a 100,000 SQF warehouse that is empty this time of year its were I have been doing alot of my indoor stuff.....
lonestarcarper is offline Find More Posts by lonestarcarper
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:49 AM
Joined Aug 2006
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarcarper
I have a pico stick and a tiger moth...but I am afriad I am not very good, also if anyone is intrested the company I work for in carrollton has about a 100,000 SQF warehouse that is empty this time of year its were I have been doing alot of my indoor stuff.....
I would be interested! Where in Carrollton is it located? I live and work just north of there in Lewisville.

- John
JoJa15 is offline Find More Posts by JoJa15
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:40 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
What's happening in Dallas on December 26? I will have a layover in Dallas from December 26 to December 27... It would be cool to have something to do!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:36 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Oh man we went flying the 23rd. Right near DFW. If you come out again, PM me.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:02 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
LOL -- I just got home!

The wind was absolutely PERFECT on December 26th... Alas, I did not bring my airplane to Dallas, and was kicking myself for it!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jan 01, 2007, 02:10 PM
The Colony, Tx
Joined Sep 2004
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarcarper
I live in The Colony and would be very interested in finding someplace close by to fly indoors. Send me a PM with details. Thanks

Drew
igiveup is offline Find More Posts by igiveup
Old Jan 01, 2007, 02:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igiveup
I live in The Colony and would be very interested in finding someplace close by to fly indoors. Send me a PM with details. Thanks

Drew
Drew, if you find a place let me know. I live nearby in Lewisville and would love to find a place close by to fly indoors. If we cannot find a place we might be able to get enough people together and convince a church, sports center, or school to let us use their space.

- John
JoJa15 is offline Find More Posts by JoJa15
Old Jan 01, 2007, 06:40 PM
The Colony, Tx
Joined Sep 2004
93 Posts
Sure thing John, I am currently substituting for LISD so I'm hoping to make some friends in the school system and maybe I can get someone to let us use their gym to fly in. I'll keep you posted.
igiveup is offline Find More Posts by igiveup
Old Jan 05, 2007, 09:16 PM
Flower Mound, TX
Joined Sep 2005
6 Posts
I'm watching your posting about LISD area to fly indoor gyms as its not far of where I live in. Wished to know one of the gym teacher for asking... (I can try to approach) High school gym are alittle bigger than elementary school gym and University-college campus gym could be a better size benefit like at UNT in Denton.

Umm, how about at Texas Stadium in Irving when the Cowboys move to new stadium in Arlington for vacant to fly at old place? Year of 2009, ha!
007flyerROB is offline Find More Posts by 007flyerROB