HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2006
215 Posts
Discussion
Indoor Flying in North Texas (Dallas/Ft Worth area)?

Are there any indoor flying sites in the North Texas area (Dallas/Fort Worth area)? If there are no sites are there any people on this board that live in that area that would like to get one started?

Thanks,
John
JoJa15 is offline Find More Posts by JoJa15
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2006, 02:03 PM
Texas, Plano, USA
Joined Jan 2005
810 Posts
I'm moving to the Dallas area by next summer. Would love to have a place to fly indoors! Keep me posted.
anestho is offline Find More Posts by anestho
Old Dec 19, 2006, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2006
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anestho
I'm moving to the Dallas area by next summer. Would love to have a place to fly indoors! Keep me posted.
Will do.

I found a place called Mike's Hobby shop: Mike's Hobby Shop

I flew my Carbon Butterfly there today. At home it feels like it is fast, in a wide open space you really realize how slow it actually flies. :-)

Next I am going to try some faster flyers at that spot. I hope to find a place that has about the same area without poles and a little higher roof. The nice thing about Mike's is that you can fly there anytime they are open.

- John
Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Rookie
United States, IL, Mt Prospect
Joined Feb 2004
403 Posts
Mike's is a nice place. I didn't know they allowed flying but the car tracks are awesome.

Rumor has it that Mike's will be closing in a year or two due to the impending expansion of I35.

There is an armory owned by the city of Bonham that can be rented by the day but I figured it was a little farther out than most wanted to travel.
TexasAce is offline Find More Posts by TexasAce
Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2006
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAce
Mike's is a nice place. I didn't know they allowed flying but the car tracks are awesome.

Rumor has it that Mike's will be closing in a year or two due to the impending expansion of I35.

There is an armory owned by the city of Bonham that can be rented by the day but I figured it was a little farther out than most wanted to travel.
There is a group of helicopter guys that fly there all the time. I asked if I could fly my indoor plane and Mike said yeah as long as I made sure my transmitter did not conflict with the heli guys. It is definitely better then a living room but still a little tricky to fly. You have to watch out for the posts and it is easy to get to the ceiling quickly. If people are racing on the track you have to be careful not to land or crash on the track or your plane could get clobered. :-)

I hope that Mike's does not close. It is a great hobby shop.

There are a lot of very large churches around here that I am wondering if one of them would rent out their space.

- John
Old Dec 19, 2006, 06:05 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Feb 2005
88 Posts
Flying Sites in Arlington and Bedford

John,

There are a number of regularly (and irregularly) available sites for indoor and micro R/C in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area. The Electric Flight Events page on R/C Groups is a good place to look for updates and special events:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I live in Arlington (mid-way between the two big cities) and usually fly with a group in one or two locations each week. The catch is that most of us are retired or can get away to fly during the day while the school kids are otherwise occupied. If you have to work during the day Monday thru Friday, the flying options are much more limited.

Anyway, I was preparing to post some info on my two favorite sites, so check the link above. My post should be up by the time you read this.

Other possibilities would be:
Monthly Sunday afternoon sessions at the Lockheed Rec. Center in Ft. Worth (see events page linked above)

Weekly (I think) Saturday evening sessions are held in Weatherford, west of Ft. Worth.

Occasionally, sessions are scheduled at the Rec. Center in Lancaster, southwest of Dallas.

Hope this helps.

Pat Squires
Capt Condor is offline Find More Posts by Capt Condor
Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Rookie
Joined Feb 2004
403 Posts
I also hope Mike's doesn't close. My wife works in Plano and I will usually drop by there when I am in town. This week I am finishing up a consulting job in Calgary and will be going to Mike's next Wednesday after lunch.

I got spoiled last winter flying in football field sized golf domes in Chicago. Calgary uses a recreation center gym and it is very hard on planes. They usually quit early when no more planes will fly.
SEGWAY(SP?) Hobby shop prices are outrageous up here even if you figure in the exchange rate.

I'm presently negotiating on a 6 month contract with a company in Plano and hope to stay home for a while. I live on a 2 acre lake lot with a 4 acre lot next door and have a dock. My son and I fly in the backyard and I'm considering organizing a floatplane get together.

Pat, I grew up in Arlington in the 60's and the Meadowbrook Recreation Center had really tall ceilings. They used to hold rubber powered endurance contests in there and it was a hoot.
Last edited by TexasAce; Dec 19, 2006 at 07:39 PM. Reason: never could spail
Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:39 PM
del
north of Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
1,827 Posts
Are folks still flying at the Bedford site? I flew there once years
ago, but what a bunch of good folks..

If so, who's still flying? Bob Wilder? The Shepards? And on and on...

--del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Condor
John,

There are a number of regularly (and irregularly) available sites for indoor and micro R/C in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area. The Electric Flight Events page on R/C Groups is a good place to look for updates and special events:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I live in Arlington (mid-way between the two big cities) and usually fly with a group in one or two locations each week. The catch is that most of us are retired or can get away to fly during the day while the school kids are otherwise occupied. If you have to work during the day Monday thru Friday, the flying options are much more limited.

Anyway, I was preparing to post some info on my two favorite sites, so check the link above. My post should be up by the time you read this.

Other possibilities would be:
Monthly Sunday afternoon sessions at the Lockheed Rec. Center in Ft. Worth (see events page linked above)

Weekly (I think) Saturday evening sessions are held in Weatherford, west of Ft. Worth.

Occasionally, sessions are scheduled at the Rec. Center in Lancaster, southwest of Dallas.

Hope this helps.

Pat Squires
del is offline Find More Posts by del
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Feb 2005
88 Posts
Bedford Group

A lot of the same folks are still flying in one or both of the Bedford groups. Bob Wilder's active in both and has been a mentor for a bunch of us thru the years. Jesse Shepard moved to Seattle last year to be closer to family. I think the freeflight group goes back at least 30 years in that location. Most of that crowd also remembers flying at the Meadowbrook Rec. Center (over in Arlington) that someone else mentioned.
Capt Condor is offline Find More Posts by Capt Condor
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:35 AM
MwuHaHaHaHaHa....
Naperville IL.
Joined Dec 2006
95 Posts
Soon as my JAR is done, I'd be happy to meet at Mike's, Weatherford, or anywhere in that area. I live in Aledo. Check out my blog, I need answers to my questions...[I][B] I should have the JAR done by mid Febuary. ($ I'm short on $, thats why so long.) Ironicly, I'm moving away from Aledo to Chicago. Naperville, to be exact.
JARdude is offline Find More Posts by JARdude
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:28 AM
10 Year Rookie
Joined Feb 2004
403 Posts
Jar,
When you move, check out Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst.
Naperville is about 10 miles from the Bensenville golf dome. With an AMA membership, you can fly there from 11pm to 1am every Friday and Saturday night for $10 night until April. It's awesome and the people are great. It has 30 something tee boxes and you select one when you pay your $10 and get the channel clip.
The western and northwest suburbs have huge parks about 10 miles apart and each one of them has an organized flying field usually maintained by local clubs but open to AMA members.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:07 PM
MwuHaHaHaHaHa....
Naperville IL.
Joined Dec 2006
95 Posts
Even more ironicly, I play golf. I will be in Austin over the holidays - Sadly, my plane crashesd a few days back. (Note to self: SKYFLYS SUCK) But that Jar will do the trick, and If I get what I'm asking "santa" for for Christmas, I'll be flying gas powered planes too. :P See ya!
JARdude is offline Find More Posts by JARdude
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:00 AM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,495 Posts
Where is the flying site in Bedford?
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Old Feb 02, 2007, 11:40 AM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
912 Posts
my understanding is that it is at the bedford boys ranch in bedford..

you might look it up on the internet for the exact location but i believe it is in the vicinity of central dr/ forest park area bordering harwood rd.

roy's hobby shop in hurst can probably give you more specifics.
philip frank is offline Find More Posts by philip frank
Old Feb 02, 2007, 01:31 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12497

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=bedford+ranch
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy