HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:42 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Help!
How to get your wife to fly with you......

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like for their wife to fly with them. I have tried talking my wife into flying for almost a year now, she seems like she is interested but yet still not 100% . I would like to know if there is anyone out there that is lucky enough to have the wifey fly with'em. I'm thinking that if she does finally agree to try it, that I will get a GWS Pico Cub SG kit and paint it her fav color........Yup you guessed it PINK. Just imagine a Pink Pico buzzing around. If you guys have any other ideas for planes or ways to get her involved please post them. On the plane I want it to be slow,cheap(not consrucion wise), easily repaired and a good trainer.
I would also like to know if there are any women out there that fly but husbands don't and if you have ever tried to get him to fly. Also if there is anyone who does not wish for their signifcate other to fly with them.
Thanks Harry
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:43 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
My wife is happy to fly with me as long as its to the Carribean.
vintage1 is online now Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:53 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,459 Posts
Have you put her on the sticks of an Aero Ace yet? Just a "toy" rc plane but its about as crash proof as your going to get. Great way to teach oreintation and low stress to fly and keeps your wallet happy.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:54 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,496 Posts
I don't. She's not wired for R/C.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:02 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Yup, I second the aero ace. Picked one up for myself last year, and took the wife with me to fly in the school gym... she gave it a shot, and that evening we went out and bought her one.

We flew it a few times, but as it warmed back up into spring, she had me drag her bike out, so that she could ride (she rides about 30 miles a day on a road bike when it's warm out). After that she lost interest.

I did pick up a SuperFly in July, and that seemed to spark her interest. I bought her one of those and a set of superfleas for us for the gym season, but I haven't been able to get her interest again...

Oh well I guess.

It would be nice for her to fly with me, but if she doesn't want to, that's okay, as long as she doesn't keep me from doing it..
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:10 PM
Isle of Rhode, US
Joined Sep 2004
1,041 Posts
I personally like the space my wife encourages regarding occasional flying...

It is funny that she shows absolutely no interest in flying - but finds the construction of a scale plane impressive. Only problem is, I can feel her mind saying "all that focus and attention to detail ... hmmm.. how can I get him to work that into the bathroom... "
SKY KING is offline Find More Posts by SKY KING
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:27 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I find it may be a catch22, yes I would love for her to fly but then again it is nice to just get away from everything and relax. Although I still think its something that can still be relaxing todo together. The good thing is that other then the plane I have everything needed to get her up and going. I have an extra Futaba Tx should I get a trainer chord and teach her that way?
A plus side to wanting to fly is that she would be more understanding in the purchase of new toys!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:30 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
About 4-5 years ago my wife bought herself a Pico TM and painted it gold & black, put a 3 blade prop on it and some large foam wheels. It looks good and flys well, but she only flys it once and a great while. When she does fly it she will have me take it off and land it. She's also flown one of our Aero Aces and does pretty well with it. She has her own DX6 TX that she won last year in the pilots raffle at the AZ Elec flight fest.
She really likes to go to the various flying meets and overall loves the hobby, but she isn't an avid hands on pilot.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Last edited by KLH; Dec 18, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:35 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
901 Posts
My wife goes flying with me...

I bring her a comfy lawn chair & a good book & pay attention to her between flights. But she has no interest in learning how to fly.
jimklein is online now Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:45 PM
Yes, right there.
Comox, BC, CAN
Joined Jul 2003
581 Posts
Mine has agreed to let me teach her to fly as long as she has a (sigh) pink biplane covered in Hello Kitty decals... :-\
I'm thinking a GWS tigermoth...
SpleenRippa is offline Find More Posts by SpleenRippa
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:11 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
My wife tried it, didn't like it ... So I fly with the club, while she stays home -- most times. She does come out sometimes to take pictures (maiden flights usually) or walk the dog while I fly.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:12 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Oh yeah, Kristy flys with me. She started out on the Easy Star. We painted it up like a cow, cuz she likes cows. Really looked cool in the air too. Then she stepped up the the Twinstar II. I still havent finished the Nebraska Cornhuskers paint job for her. We put twin brushless on it from the get go. She does really well with it, but only goes flying with me on occasion. I think she is just happy to get rid of me for half a day or so when I go flying.

Laine
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:49 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Women do not like to fly.

Some women will take it on for a time (many examples, and us men just eat it up) but it is relatively short-lived.
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old Dec 18, 2006, 09:04 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpleenRippa
Mine has agreed to let me teach her to fly as long as she has a (sigh) pink biplane covered in Hello Kitty decals... :-\
I'm thinking a GWS tigermoth...
I stepped out for a minute and the wife jumps on here and read the replys to this thread. She called me on the cell and asks if here plane can have Hello Kitty decals. Thanks alot what am I in for now?
Old Dec 18, 2006, 09:14 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy
I stepped out for a minute and the wife jumps on here and read the replys to this thread. She called me on the cell and asks if here plane can have Hello Kitty decals. Thanks alot what am I in for now?
Yup Waterboy, another good point in this discussion. Women are often involved very closely, and very smartly... Hello Kitty decals will be great on your plane.
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Last edited by rob mueller; Dec 18, 2006 at 10:14 PM.