SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:19 PM
Silkeborg, Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
7 Posts
The first danish MM C-180 is coming on fine

Hello MM C-180 fans

I have also been bitten by the bug named: MM C-180

And thanks to Dreamerīs fantastic story on his MM C-180, I just had to have one. So I bought one from Doug (thanks for the very fast shipping of the kit, Doug).

So I decided to bring you the first pic. of my MM C-180. As you can see the fugelage is coming along just fine. I have started putting on scale-details. Just could not wait !!!
The wing is next. It will be fittet with ailerons and slotted flaps. And of cause less dihedral because of the ailerons.

You will get pics later when the wing is more complete....
M. Buchreitz is offline Find More Posts by M. Buchreitz
Last edited by M. Buchreitz; Sep 12, 2002 at 05:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:25 PM
Silkeborg, Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
7 Posts
The first danish MM C-180

and hereīs another pic.....................
Last edited by M. Buchreitz; Sep 12, 2002 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 03:33 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Flaps and ailerons, no less! I really look forward to a flight report with the flaps, as my next wing will have them. Also, I'm waiting for your AUW. Good work so far, too!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Sep 13, 2002, 03:51 AM
Silkeborg - Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
20 Posts
Danish MM C-180

Hello Dreamer

Sorry to ask this dumb quistion, but what is an AUW ?
Michael B. is offline Find More Posts by Michael B.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 03:54 AM
Lord Flashheart is sissy!
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Apr 2001
43 Posts
Hi there Michael

Are you bringing it to Aspach?

See you there anyway - I guess.

Max Abildgaard
Immelmann is offline Find More Posts by Immelmann
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:15 AM
Silkeborg - Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
20 Posts
MM C-180

Hi Max

Nice to hear from you again. Sorry, but I am not coming to Aspach this year. My little daugther takes too much time. But I will be back next year. Have a nice trip to Aspach - and do NOT drink too much of that german "Korn".

/Michael Buchreitz
Old Sep 13, 2002, 07:16 AM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,567 Posts
AUW: All Up Weight
MrMootsie is online now Find More Posts by MrMootsie
Old Sep 14, 2002, 03:49 AM
Silkeborg, Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
7 Posts
The danish MM C-180

All Up Weight: (thanks for the information)

Well, right now the AUW on my MM C-180 is 3,8 oz and that includes finished/covered fugelage with undercarrige, elevator- and rudder section. Wing is without ailerons/flaps and still to be covered.
So I expect AUW to be apx. 9 oz with 4 servoes and hardware.
Iīm looking at the small geared Hacker bruchless in order to get more power, not for normal flying but for better performance on water. And the weight of the small Hacker is "only" apx. 2 oz.

/Michael Buchreitz
Old Sep 14, 2002, 07:33 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Well Michael, you've inspired me. I've started building a second wing for my cessna with fowler flaps, ailerons, and a STOL kit. I couldn't wait

Martin
Old Sep 15, 2002, 06:14 AM
Silkeborg, Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
7 Posts
MM C-180

Hi Dreamer

You must let us know how your STOL-kit works out in flight. Also please let us know how you make it.
I have read an article about the Robertson STOL kit for the C-180. Thatīs pretty amazing stuff when they apply it.

By the way, why are you making fowler flaps. The original C-180 has slotted flaps (the ones with the gap when flaps are coming down).

Really looking forward to hearing from you when wing no. 2 is coming along. By the way, you could use the original airfoil. Itīs the NACA 2412 and itīs also a very nice airfoil for models. Most modelers are using the NACA 2415, but thatīs only the thickness of the airfoil. My large C-180 has the NACA 2415.

/Michael Buchreitz
Old Sep 15, 2002, 01:43 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Michael, between fowler and slotted I probably have the terminology messed up, but I'm doing it per the full scale anyway. The leading edge cuff I did simply by copying the rib plan into autocad and rotating a copy of the rib until it was about 15 degrees negative incidence on the original rib plan. I slapped the two together and cut out new ribs. We'll see how this works out, but it's essentially how the full scale is done, as the cuff doesn't modify the remaining 90% of the wing. I finished building the control surfaces last night and will be working on the mechanics of the flaps/ailerons and dropping ailerons sometime today. I have a plan!

Martin
Old Sep 16, 2002, 03:16 AM
Silkeborg - Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
20 Posts
New MM C-180 wing

Hi Dreamer

Thanks for your update on your new wing. Sounds great!!!

Can not wait for a pic. About the linkage in the wing, I have planned to use 2x6 g. servoes in the middle and using small pianowire as pushrods. The slotted flaps are linked with 2 small V shaped hinges so that when the flaps are up and closed, you can see 2 Vs on the underside of the wing. And when you apply flaps via a puhrod, the flaps come down and out - making the slot (i think is called that). I have, by the way, made the trailing edge on the wing concave and the leading edge on the flaps as an airfoil. So that should make scale like flaps.
The ailerons are hinged "normal" like the hinge on the elevator.
Using the ailerons as flaps is a good idea when you apply STOL leading edges on the wing. They do it on full size C-180s so I am looking forward to hearing how it works out in flight.

/Michael Buchreitz
Old Sep 18, 2002, 01:58 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Michael, I'm curious and have to ask... since my brain is going into overtime throwing around all kinds off different pushrod styles and methods, I'm wondering: how are you linking your pushrods to the flaps such that they will allow the back and down movement without either binding the pushrod or having a huge hole in the covering on each side for it? Pictures would be great. My flaps are hinged and I've put a bit more work into my wing. I'm nearly ready to mount and hookup the servos before covering, so I needed to ask. Thanks!

Martin
Old Sep 18, 2002, 04:47 AM
Silkeborg - Denmark
Joined Aug 2002
20 Posts
MM C-180

Hi Martin.

Well, I have not made the pushrods yet. But from the servo(in the middlesection of the wing) I will make pushrods in 0,5 or 0,8 mm. pianowire running through out the ribs to the middle of the flap-span in plastic tubing and connecting to a 90 degree plate made in either thin plywood and a plastic horn sitting on a thin piece of plywood which is glued in between 2 ribs. The pushrod from the plate and to the flap will be made out of thin carbonfibre tubing = hard to bend and very light-weight. The pushrod will run through the concave trailing edge and connect to the flap on the top of the leading edge on a very small link.
When I have made it you will be the first to know and recieve a pic.

/Michael Buchreitz
Old Sep 19, 2002, 12:09 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Michael, I racked my brain and came up with a decent compromise between good strong function and lack of lots of non-scale pushrods hanging in the breeze. Check out this thread which has many detailed pictures of my flap and aileron push/torque rod connections.

Martin