HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2002, 03:16 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
The Adventure Begins....

Well,
The adventure has begun. I just received my Pico Stick S in the mail along with my GWS-MC2002 Quick Charger in the mail on Wedneday. My GWS Pico Flight Pack comes in the mail hopefully Saturday. The adventure has begun. I will be keeping an up to date account of my trials and errors in the world of R/C Flying. Thanx Patrick

PS- I found an experienced Slimer pilot that I think will help me learn to fly. Will there be a problem with him flying an electric, since he flys Slimers? Like are the control basically the same, because I dont want him crashing my electric when he trys to fly it.

PSS- Should I use 5-Min Epoxy instead of the GWS Glue for the Pico Stick S construction?
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2002, 03:27 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
Congrats...It's a great feeling when your plane climbs out straight the first time and you suddenly realize you are flying it! I am sure your friend will be a big help...just don't let him try to put gas in the plane!

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Sep 12, 2002, 03:30 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Congrats your doing great..
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Sep 12, 2002, 04:03 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
The only real difference is that he's probably use to flying with ailerons, and your handing him a plane with only rudder for turning.
If he's like most IC pilots that I know, (myself included) it'll take him a couple minutes to get use to using rudder only.
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Sep 12, 2002, 05:46 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Couple Minutes

That couple minutes better not equal a crash. LOL
Old Sep 12, 2002, 05:50 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
good luck, putt!!

Good luck Putt!!! I think you'll be very surprised at how quickly you catch on. You won't be able to get the grin off your face!

The GWS glue it useful, don't scrap it. Remember you have to use it as contact cement though. For building the stick use 5min epoxy or probond instead, better working time.

I'll be watching for the flight report.
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:18 PM
E-Flight Addict
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2002
846 Posts
Beware of the foam $ balsa magnets. they seem to be lurking in the most obscure places
smittylube is offline Find More Posts by smittylube
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:34 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
The Stuff

Heres Everything I have, besides the radio. It should be here Saturday or Monday. Thanx Patrick

PS- I am happy that I might have someone to help me fly it. I have read of people damaging there planes badly because they tried to teach themselves, and maybe now I wont damge my plane AS BADLY as some others I have seen.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:52 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Congrats Patrick, you're well on your way.

Have you been practicing with a flight simulator? Can you fly the Litestik around and land it okay on the runway? It really helps with the control reversal if you're not used to it.

Best of luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:55 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
FMS

Hello,
I can fly all the planes on FMS perfectly, but I dont have a transmitter to use or a joystick that works. I have to use the arrow keys, and that is really easy. So I dont really know if FMS is gonna help, because I was only using arrow keys. Thanx Patrick
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:16 PM
Catskill Mountains
Joined Feb 2002
100 Posts
Hey Putt,

GO over to the forsale/wanted forum. Someone is selling the interface cables and a copy of FMS for 18 bucks.

Good luck

Ryan
ratman is offline Find More Posts by ratman
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:20 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
wow Patrick, if you can fly FMS with the arrow keys the PicoStik will be a piece of cake.

A joystick makes it more realistic but also easier. By using the arrow keys you should already be used to making small quick movements of the controls and then releasing them. One of the 'keys' to successful slow flying.

When you go to the stick just do the same thing as the keys. Give the stick a nudge and let it center again. Just be very gentle and the PicoStik will fly the same as the one in the sim.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:53 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
I really have to emphasize what Basketcase just told you; use SMALL control inputs on the sticks once you have the transmitter in hand.
Let that other guy get in the air and trim it for you. It could save you some damage. But I think having flown the FMS, even with the keyboard will help. You probably have right and left/coming and going, pretty well establish. Now you just need to reprogram those thoughts for the sticks.
Best of luck!
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:58 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Mods

Hello,
I will be building on Sunday. Any tips before I start. Should I put some packing tape on the LE of the wing. Also for the Dihedral strings, would fishing line work ok. Thanx Patrick.....

PS- How much dihedral do I want when I am done with the fishing line stuff.

PSS- I have heard of changing the boom to carbon arrow shaft, but I think I will keep wood for now.
Last edited by putt_13; Sep 12, 2002 at 10:15 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 11:01 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
Definately need minimal control inputs-I can attest to learning that! You will also likely need much less servo throw than you think.

As a new pilot I have found apparent control reversal to be troublesome at times even after getting used to it on FMS. Real flight releases a little more nervous energy . I read a couple things that I think will help; 1) when the plane is coming towards you and starts turning (and of course falling) move the rudder stick towards the side the model is turning. That will have the opposite effect and get it going straight. 2) You could also try turning a little so you are looking over your shoulder at it-then it will be intuitive. I like the first one better and will do it till it becomes second hand.

You will have alot of success I am sure because you have done research and clearly prepared well! Have fun building the plane! I think that part is alot of fun...

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar