HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:11 AM
Lino Lakes, MN, USA
Joined Dec 2000
148 Posts
Need info on a new plane - FoldingFlyer

I was doing some research and came across a Speed 400 foam board plane called the foamflyer selling for a mere $20 or 3 for $50. They appearantly are being distributed by Norvel but the plane's web site has almost no information on it. www.foldingflyer.com Does anyone know anything about this plane? I'd like to know wing size (length, area), gear ratio, prop used, weight, battery (cells, type, capacity) used, as well as servos and receiver recommended. I assume it is a parkflyer, but how fast does it fly and is it aerobatic.

I'm sure someone on the zone must know something about this one.

Thanks
GHarvey is offline Find More Posts by GHarvey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2002, 11:03 AM
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Dec 1996
355 Posts
I ordered 2 of these kits a couple of years ago right after they first came out. They are still in the box, I haven't put them together yet. Not sure about the wingspan, but I believe it's designed for a speed 400 with the Mini Olympus gear drive (2.3/1) The material more closely resembles coroplast rather than foam.
cnims is offline Find More Posts by cnims
Old Sep 12, 2002, 11:15 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
That was actually several years ago, it was very heavy and would barely fly with a geared 400. I'd be really surprised they're still selling them. Because it was so heavy it needed to fly fast so I wouldn't call it a park flyer. It worked a bit better with a Norvel 061 engine and without the weight of the battery but then you needed even better reflexes.

After fiddling with various electric setups I eventually put a little diesel on mine but it didn't last very long.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Sep 12, 2002, 11:57 AM
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Dec 1996
355 Posts
Steve,

What electric setups did you try with this plane? Did any of them give satisfactory results?
cnims is offline Find More Posts by cnims
Old Sep 12, 2002, 01:25 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
I contacted Norvel about these recently and they are out of production. I happen to find a couple in a hobby shop. Very simple to make at home, which is probably one of the reasons why they are gone. The pattern is printed right on the foam board, so you only need one to make scratch builts at home.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:37 PM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cnims
What electric setups did you try with this plane? Did any of them give satisfactory results?
Sorry I can't really remember now, it was a while ago. Obviously none were good or I would have stuck with them. I think I tried S400 direct on 7 and 8 cells and probably a SpeedGear 400 6V but I don't recall if it was 1.85 or 2.33. Nothing I tried would climb above head height so I gave up and stuck the diesel in instead. At least it saved the weight of the battery.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin