HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:09 PM
No warning points today!!
Hixson, TN
Joined May 2005
645 Posts
Discussion
How do you install CA hinges?

I just went on a small shopping spree at the LHS preparing for the 2 planes I'm going to be assembling this Christmas. I got me some FoamSafe CA (that stuff is more expensive then I thought), some 5 minute epoxy, and some CA hinges.

The CA hinges will be going on an HL Yak-55 and an HL Pitts S-2, but I have never used hinges before. So my question is, how do you install them? Is medium CA ok for putting them in, because all I have is medium but it says to use thin...ANY help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've got a sim sitting under the tree...I want to open it really badly.
flyingace451 is offline Find More Posts by flyingace451
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:17 PM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2004
873 Posts
for foam planes you should use tape. Packaging tap works pretty good. it would be very hard to hing a foamy since the foam is only like 3-6 mm thick
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi
Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:20 PM
St. Peters MO.
Joined Apr 2005
67 Posts
You dont use CA Hinges on these planes. You tape the controle surfaces on with a good clear packing tape
DOZZ is offline Find More Posts by DOZZ
Old Dec 16, 2006, 05:09 PM
No warning points today!!
Hixson, TN
Joined May 2005
645 Posts
Ah ok, I thought I'd get rid of the packing tape I've used because I thought no one else really did it. I guess I was wrong, so I'll hang onto the hinges for something else I guess. Thanks for the advice everyone, they were only $3 anyway! ...Can I open my presents now? *NO*....drats.
flyingace451 is offline Find More Posts by flyingace451
Old Dec 16, 2006, 05:13 PM
TP 1.21 Gigawatt Needed
Hendersonville, NC
Joined Jul 2005
1,103 Posts
I've used CA hinges on the same Yal with great success! Used medium CA.
It can be tough lining up the control surfaces, but the result is great.

Packing tape? No way, made that mistake before. Use Blenderem.
MikeBiv is offline Find More Posts by MikeBiv
Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:37 PM
Tyler, Texas, United States
Joined May 2001
168 Posts
I like book binding tape from 3M (#845).
Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Leonard
Old Dec 16, 2006, 08:09 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard
I like book binding tape from 3M (#845).
Very interesting! I'm not familiar with this tape but I Googled it and it sure sounds like it will make good hinges.

I wonder how well it sticks to EPP.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 16, 2006, 08:37 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
On my EPP planes I use CA hinges and GWS hinge material. I use 15 min epoxy to give me some working time. On the Ca hinge, I cut them narrow and use a hole punch on the sides to make them more flexable. The tape always comes loose sooner or later, more so on EPP, but I've never had a CA hinge come loose. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Dec 17, 2006, 08:29 AM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
704 Posts
If you get an Airfoilz Yak, they come with pin hinges that you epoxy in. And I believe their control surfaces are 6mm depron. So you don't necessarily have to use tape, you can make CA or pin hinges work. If you use tape, definetly use blenderm or Dubro hinge tape (which is blenderm). The only problem I have with taping hinges is that no matter how tight I think I have things, my controls always seem to still move up and down at the hinge line. Of course this makes my trim setting change during flight.
I've thought about going back to the pin hinges. Maybe if I just use one on each end and then use blenderm in the middle it would stop that from happening. Does anyone else have any advice or ideas?
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:24 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC
The only problem I have with taping hinges is that no matter how tight I think I have things, my controls always seem to still move up and down at the hinge line. Of course this makes my trim setting change during flight.
I've been using both Tyvek (CA) hinges and tape on my EPP slope planes and the result is nearly bulletproof. It's flexible yet holds an accurate hinge line which is important on planks like my 48" Moth (for example):

The elevator mix travel on the elevons is only about 1/16 inch total (as in from full-up to full-down). Despite the small amount of travel, this plane will turn on a dime and leave change. Aileron mix travel is around 30.

Needless to say, any slop in the hinge line would result in a plane I could never trim for hands-off level flight yet this Moth tracks like it's on rails.

Pete
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:37 AM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
oh yes, the Moth happens to be very sensitive, and all ive flown it is on realflight!
hats off to you for controlling that beast!
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:58 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermlin'
oh yes, the Moth happens to be very sensitive, and all ive flown it is on realflight!
hats off to you for controlling that beast!
It's actually not that hard to control. It goes right where I point it and isn't prone to doing things I don't ask it to. But that's because I spent a lot of time on details like hinge lines, mechanical linkage ratios, and nailing the CG in a no-compromise way.

That said, it's not a very relaxing plane to fly because of it's speed. For something with no motor, it will sure wend it's way through lots of sky in very short order. It's a plane that requires all your attention all the time.

Pete
Old Dec 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
704 Posts
Thanks for that input PGR, I'm gonna try it on my next foamie.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Dec 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
When applying CA hinges, first draw across the hinge line with a crayon. Then stick a pin right through the middle. The pin will make sure that the hinges are in both surfaces evenly, and the wax from the crayon will ensure that the CA does not stick to where the hinge flexes. The reason you don't want CA on the flexible part of the hinge is because it solidifies the textured fabric stuff, and places too much stress on the flexible plastic. They'll work fine for a while without the crayon treatment, but will eventually tear.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:48 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
cwojcik,
Best advice I have heard for those type of hinges. Thank you.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn