HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:13 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2002
12 Posts
Crashed Lite Stick - How to Repair? (Newbie ??s)

My maiden flight with my Lite Stick (Pico Stick) didn't go well (it's all my fault). The landing was "less than perfect" and I broke the fuse stick in two places: behind the motor mount and in front of the wing mount. I've only built this plane and a Wingo (styrofoam) so I'm not sure how to repair this.

Since it's wood should I use a wood glue? Epoxy? CA? Other?

Just shove the breaks back together with glue? Other reinforcement?

If I decide the breaks won't mate up, can I splice on a replacement somehow?

It really didn't seem like this plane is very forgiving on landings. Any help greatly appreciated.
SouthernFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthernFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:22 PM
Warren, OH
Joined Sep 2002
75 Posts
I would probably use slow (i.e. 30-minute) epoxy very sparingly, with thin plywood reinforcements. Wood glue takes too long and I think CA might be too brittle. Remember to keep the glue to a minimum so the Lite Stick doesn't become a Heavy Stick. Make sure to take your time to align things BEFORE the glue starts to set.

You might want to get a spare fuse stick or two if they are a concern.
Bob Mintus is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mintus
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:35 PM
KY
Joined Sep 2002
12 Posts
Bob Mintus,

Thanks for the reply. I've wondered about a spare but how can I use a spare if the rudder/elevator are glued to the one I've got?

Could I buy a sturdier fuse such as what comes with the Slow Stick/Dust Stik (carbon fiber right?)?
SouthernFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthernFlyer
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:41 PM
Warren, OH
Joined Sep 2002
75 Posts
If the stabs are glued to the stick, you could cut them away with a razor blade, making sure you didn't leave much on the stick. I would think you could buy a spare from a similar kit, but am not too familiar with a Lite Stick.

My Slow Stick uses square box tubing (I think aluminum), but the carbon fiber might be lighter.
Bob Mintus is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mintus
Old Sep 12, 2002, 07:22 AM
Now with more COWBELL!
Lexington, KY, USA
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
When I repaired my Stik a while back, I cut off the end of the fuse holding the tail feathers and spliced it onto a new piece of wood. Cut the ends at a 45 degree angle to give you more gluing area. Then I glued a small balsa plate (about an inch long, and wide as the stick) over the join area. It's been flown hard, and no problems all this summer.
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:26 AM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
I have also spliced a new motor mount on the end of my stick, if you have some 1/64 ply, this works great to reinforce the joint.
Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:22 AM
Joined Mar 2002
631 Posts
i have gone through a few of those

stiks this summer;

my next move is to get a carbon fiber stik; the quality of some of the stiks from gws is quite variable and some of the stiks are essentially just balsa and break easily;

horizon hobby sells a fuse replacement for 4 or 5 dollars; i went that route one time but the stik broke after 2 flights;

fixing them with epoxy will be a good short run fix but the stik is likely to break again;

just my $.02;

jeff
burgan is offline Find More Posts by burgan