HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
customflagmaker.com has responded to my inquiry and said they would get back to me at the beginning of next week...they needed vector formatted files which they'll try to find.....i hope they know i needed cloth flags
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:15 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
yancovitch:

Kmot did a thread on cloth flags about a year ago that you could make your own with a jet printer. Do a search I know it's out there.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:34 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
371 Posts
You need to find a garment print/screen printer that does "Discharge printing" or Sublimation Printing" both direct to fabric.

I'll check with the printers I know and see what I come up with. You may need to find good full size tiff images. No jpg images. Too much data is lost to print from.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
i had a printer, who prints on t-shirts give it a try...silk didn't work...it bled...and thin cotton came out faded, and mainly on one side......i gave him a clear printout of the flags to work from.....i would really like silk as it flutters so beautifully....but, whatever
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
Joined Jan 2010
371 Posts
I have a screen printing business. Since 1984. I would not screen print these. The processes I am suggesting are called DTG or direct to garment printing. It's a matter of finding a shop that has the right equipment for the task at hand. I agree silk fabric would give the scale wind flutter you are looking for.

I have posted on the commercial garment printers board for any one who can help with this project. The forum is world wide. I expect to get some response on Monday. Most the printers don't work weekend that I know.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:23 AM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
thanks...well it seems that a solution may be available...DTG....isn't that the printer which is used to print on t-shirts?...which i already tried....?...or?

by the way, since i had already sprayed the bottom with varithane satin, and didn't want to try to mix resins or epoxies with the varithane, i found a can of varithane spar varnish, and have turned the ship upside down and am in the process of brushing on 3-4 coats of the stuff....i think i'll be ok then....i may finish with a coat from the spray can, since it has a nicer more even finish........hmmm....not that easy a task .....varnish doesn't seem to want to dry properly.....gonna take a few weeks to accomplish this.....
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 12, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
371 Posts
DTG is direct to garment computer printing. But I know a lot of printers just like this forum has builders all over the world, the top printers have their own forum as well. I have started a discussion on the forum about DTG to silk or other very light weight fabric. The discussion currently is about bleeding through from one side to the other and how to print both sides without having to make two flags and sew them together back to back.

A solution will be found. These people not only print but the manufacturers of the printing equipment and software programing are involved.

I expect more experienced people in the printing business to respond tomorrow. Hopefully answers will come. The average screen printer even with a DTG machine doesn't have the know how to do this sort of specialized printing. We find those who do the R&D at the manufacturing level.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask questions of the very best in the business.

I have already gotten people who know the history time period of the flags. British contract pirates.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
wow...talk about selfless people!!....

british contract pirates...
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 14, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
well i ordered the flags from custom flagmaker....i just payed them, so we'll see what happens....it was around $40 including shipping.....will let you know....thanks cliffhanger for your help.......
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:54 AM
Joined Jan 2010
371 Posts
Hope that it is what you wanted and turns out well.
It was no trouble.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:31 AM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
sails

oh....i was thinking of using some egytian cotton for the sails, as recommended by a modeler...before i had use polyester dyed in tea....any recommendations?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:08 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,602 Posts
Sail cloth

I've become a fan of the Dupont Supplex SC&H uses in their kits.
I go over it a bit on my build log starting at post 384 and running to post 394, or there a-bouts.

It's also discussed on the Wawona build thread starting at post 56.

Look at DanL's Syren for an idea of how it looks and holds up - that's what sold me.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jul 21, 2010, 02:50 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...-Nylon-Fabrics

this is the link that Jerry gives in his topic.

I'm almost ready for ordening 2 yard.

But it's the color I'm not out.

White= white.

I want to color them with coffee or tea so that ive got old used sails.

Jerry or anyone else, have you experimented with coloring the supplex.

is it possible.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:14 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,602 Posts
I haven't tried yet, but naval vessels had flax sails which tend to age more gray than brown - so I was gonna try some black RIT on a scrap bit, and some very diluted ebony stain on another and see what happens.

In my case, the ship's fairly new, so I'm just trying to take away some of the bright white, not make them look like some old tramp coaster's rags.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
going in an hour to look at some nylon fabric at a fabric store..actually the fellow works from his home.....we shall see.......ok....the sample shown to me was a very fine nylon, not shiny, and looked quite nice....i think i'll go for it if it is available....should find out fridayish.......
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 21, 2010 at 09:40 PM.