HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
just a note to say ...sorry...have slowed down on ship a bit...too many distractions, even though i quit my apt. managing job, ...........have lost a bit of incentive, but it's temporary i'm sure...it seems that finishing all those sculptures will take alot longer than i thought, seeing that i'm not a sculptor.....i simplified the existing wiring for the lighting and decided to keep the bulbs that i had...i checked out the led's, but all in all, i figured what i had worked better for me. some of the larger led's had heat sinks attached to them...$10 each .interesting......................anyways, will get back later, cheers, vic
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Apr 19, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:01 AM
Sailing enthusiast
New Bedford, MA.
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
I just found this thread and all I can say is WOW ! I would never build a boat like these but I love them the same.

You say you only see the flaws but i'll tell you what sometimes the flaws are what give a piece of art its character and that's what you do, create works of art. I used to draw and paint for years and when I got to the point that people couldn't tell my drawings apart from a black and white photo my art lost it's magic.

You have a special talent, thank you for sharing it with us.
Sea Devil is offline Find More Posts by Sea Devil
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
sea devil....i see what you're saying....like some women i've seen who had slightly crooked teeth which made them specially attractive some even famous, and then they go for cosmetic dentistry, and then they look just like everyone else....the mystique-magic is gone..........thanks for the hands up.......though pics of ship won't show much change, i could post some tidbits of this and that as they come up....
shot one...i bent some diamond nail files...(carefully) to sand the tiny sculptures.....i really tried to sand the boobs on the ladies smaller, but no matter how much i tried, they always ended up the same size......my insecurities i suppose ...next shot ...the blocks, of which there are many, and many sizes.....self explanatory i suppose...have to work out a quick way of sanding them...using 1" belt sander to rough, then hand sand.......need a 1/4" belt sander .....thanks for the kindnessess guys....cheers, vic
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:22 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
boobs are very much ok,

You are a real artist.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old May 19, 2010, 09:59 AM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
thanks for the kind words...now it will add another extra year of work, for me to try to live up to that portrayal
Last edited by yancovitch; May 19, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
You have already lived up to it and past it. You now have an extra year for ship building. pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
bot

whell......i thought i'd post a couple, to show i'm still alive.....have done alot of work but it probably won't show much.....next.... to attach gunport hatch ropes and still more touching up...hull should be done in a few weeks and then...the rigging....but everytime i look away and then look back, i see something else i have to do.....but i'll draw the line somewhere......oh i just realized that i have to spray a number of thin coats on the bottom of the hull outside when it gets warm, to make sure it's waterproof.....we still have the heat on somewhat in the building...been quite cool here...my friend in montreal said she put on the air conditioner on may 1st....vancouver has quite a short summer...the rest....rain rain rain, with a pinch of snow.....oh well...i hope i get more focused and speed up somewhat....cheers, vic
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:00 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,551 Posts
Do you still have the other "largish" models you've done - Or do you sell them off after a while to make room for the next one?
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
hiya,
the first, based on the norske love, was donated to the transportation museum, here in vancouver, but it disappeared....someone there, took it to decorate their office, as far as i know......donating things is not a good idea. i donated an 8" telescope i built, to the observatory to be used for demonstrations etc. and that disappeared.....
i had the 13 foot victory on display in a boat store, and some japanese businessmen purchased it, packed it, and flew it to japan...had to cut the masts to fit the crate......think i got $9000 for it....that was in 1986 ....
when i finish this one, i'll have to find a temporary home for it, so it may be viewable, and inspire some young people...the maritime museum here is an embarrassment, so i wouldn't bother bringing it there....they probably wouldn't even want it ....it's not something easy to take to the water and sail, unless i could house it somewhere near a small lake...but i'll worry about that when the time comes....more picky picky stuff to do..taking much longer than i thought...thanks for the hello, vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 01, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:48 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
flags

hello again,
thought that someone here would know where i could get some flags ...largest, red ensign....8"x15"...5 smaller ones..royal standard, flag of the royal hi admiral, blue ensign, ..etc..... 4"x8"
had a printer try it here but they didn't come out well...$45 down the drain ....should have checked here first....i have the samples here from the smaller kit i had built.....thanks, vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 06, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:02 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
www.demo.com.hk/flags/flags.htm

I see they are down for upgrades, but you could send them a E-Mail on that page.

Hope this helps.

Buy the way you do fantastic work, hope it gets a very good home, the Museum in it's native country my like to have shutch a fantastic work of art
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
thank you ....and i shall do.......ok... i made my request to him...oriental fellow me thinks....and he responded with "Sure, on the way.
Somewhere between my files "
i wrote him back saying i didn't understand....and i haven't heard since....guess i'll just wait and see......
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 08, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:59 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Found the problem with the site.

www.demo.com.hk/index.htm

Hit the spenning ENTER go to free flags
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
ah i see the problem....
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 09, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
813 Posts
ahhh i see the problem....i was looking for cloth flags......
like these...................dimensions above....any ideas??
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 09, 2010 at 04:20 PM.