HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
ok ....i thought i'd drop another image of where i'm at ....next job is refining and finishing........alot alot of refining and finishing....like attaching maybe 300 rings to the hatches....re-carving the sculptures...which i think will be fun.....after that, the masts and rigging....the electronics and sailing mechanisms will be last.......i'll take some shots after finishing the hull......see you in a few months..
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:40 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,672 Posts
Victor,
She's a joy to look at Victor, but she's such a porcupine of things to get damaged - I cringe when I think of handling her at the shoreline.

Are you going with external ballast on this one?
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Launching

Vic,
Your workmanship is pretty stunning...beautiful model.

Jerry has a good point - wow, do you really want to sail that beauty.
Actually, shoreline damage risk should be minimal with a well designed trailer-like lanch cart. Works well for the Syren.
Where I've had real problems is when I have to approach the model on open water (in a kayak) to hook up a towline or make adjustments, and also when towing.

Picking her up/handling will also be tough. A combo lifting/handling/transport cradlemight need to be invented.

All the best.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
thank you so.....actually i'm just starting to enjoy looking at it now....i now drive a smart car....maybe on the roof .....anyways, she only weighs around 30lbs...one grabs the head and one, the tail....and places it in the water...while one holds it steady, the other fills up the hull with 10-10lb discs of lead..(which i think i'll paint)..until it's balanced at the waterline...c'est tout...but you're right...whatever is done has to be done carefully and well planned.........but it has to go in the water...i don't think i would have built it if it didn't sail .........hmmmm...had an idea of attaching a drag line, like a chute, to make it go real slow and more scale like, but that's another story, another time............oh ...threw in a shot floating...found a tiny leak ......one of the very few naughty things i did in my life...bought the plastic pool...tested boat...brought back pool for refund....sorry about that upstairs...
cheers, vic.....
Last edited by yancovitch; Jul 28, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 07:30 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,144 Posts
you should get a keychain cam and give us a walkabout of the entire ship, decks an all !! and cabins too !!

(my fantasy is taking the better of me....)

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Last edited by kusunokimasahige; Mar 11, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
you hit the right word.....fantasy......that's where it's at!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:25 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,144 Posts
Well........

HMS Surprise Onboard 1 (4 min 1 sec)

HMS Surprise Squal (3 min 50 sec)

Maybe in the future ...........

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Last edited by kusunokimasahige; Mar 11, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
wow!....thanks for the links...wonderful!!.............inspiring!!....... .......vic
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
setting up the blocks....i'll drill and shape all the blocks before cutting them..there's just toooo many, and too many sizes, to try to purchase them...got some boxwood from south america...not as dense as the north american stuff, but nice fine grain and easier to work with....
just thought i'd throw this in...now back to the finishing ..............vic
gosh....while looking at the model in the water i suddenly got fright realizing how much work it had taken to get this far
Last edited by yancovitch; Mar 20, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:19 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
Hello Victor;
So happy to see the ship in the water. She looks great. I can't believe all the work you have done on this model and the hard part (my favorite part) is now coming up,that being the rigging.
I would be especially happy to see a few pictures on how you make the blocks ect. My model of the Great Republic,which so far remains a figment of my imagination,will have many blocks of all different sizes and being able to make what I need would help a lot.
Please continue to keep us posted on your progress. There are hundreds and hundreds of people like me all over the world just watching what you do and hoping we can do half as well. I'll drink to that.
"Brought back pool for a refund" Hahahahahahahahahahaha! You crack me up Vic. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:16 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
thanks so much for your reply pete....you're kidding me about how many see this thread...thought there would be only a few curious dozen at the most.....
rigging...funny....it was always the part i liked the least...always gave me cramps in the hands, and neck.....the blocks...i'm just figuring it out as i go along...i'll post some shots when i start shaping them...nothing fancy...close enough for jazz ...regarding the rigging, i'll just follow the plans that i have whether or not they are accurate...i'll be making adaptations to make the rigging seemingly work anyways.
by the way......i feel a little guilty not checking out and supporting the threads of my fellow builders, but it takes all my energy or attention or will power just to get the things done that i have to do...like meditate, pratice the piano, and boat build....when the boat is finished i'll be able to browse and enjoy.....oh gosh...i forgot about the sails i have to make.....sheesh....oh by the way, i bought some sail material which is off white but a little shiny on one side...i chose this because the material was so flexible and flowing, which to me is so important..there's got to be a love affair between the wind and the sails.....stiff sails don't make it for me.....kinda like.......no....i better not say anything
Last edited by yancovitch; Mar 24, 2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 04:09 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
A couple dozen my eye. You may already know from looking at the title page that you have 100 posts on your thread and there have been 5,042 people view your work as of today. Hardly a couple dozen.
I know what you mean with the rigging. I get cramps in my back and neck so have to stop and rest when that happens. But I still like the rigging the best because after all the trials and tribulations of building the hull and deck and little houses ect. it's the rigging that makes it start looking like a ship. The more you add the better it looks. Then finally one day it's the last piece of thread or the last belaying pin to be installed and there she is in all her glory and man,"just look at what I built".
I've done a lot of satisfying things in my life that made me a lot of money but nothing has ever been as satisfying as building a ship model that actually comes out looking like the ship it was modeled after. It amazes me everytime.
One that would actually float and sail has been beyond hoping for.
However now that I have my feet wet with the Athena I'm learning that ships like yours and the others on this topic are certainly within reach and with the help of those who have posted their creations on here I don't see how I could go wrong.
This new topic has me thinking everyday about building my Great Republic and your thread has offered a tremendous amout of incentive to building what I call my dream boat.
Yes there are a lot of people watching this thread and if you don't get to say anything on another thread you have already done plenty for all of us. Keep up the great work and we will keep watching. pete
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:04 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,347 Posts
I'm not watching, I'm just loitering.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
millertime ...........................by the way i saw the plans for the great republic on ebay.....what a project that would be....
Last edited by yancovitch; Mar 25, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:09 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
When was that? I'd like to see them myself. Didn't know there was a section for boat plans on evilbay. Pete

Found it so thanks for the info. I'll send for a copy even though it probably replicates what I already have. Can't have enough info on a ship like this. Thing is there are no plans for this ship anywhere so whatever you see in print is somewhat accurate from written descriptions and the rest is pure conjecture on the part of the author. Nobody really knows the exact configuation of this ship. pete
Last edited by norgale; Mar 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM.