SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
canon that fire would be a great addon....no idea how to do that, thanks for the link though...amazing effect....really nice ship too...maybe someone will enlighten me on this subject...kind of a pun thanks mucho....oh....i'm in vancouver bc canada................vic
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Aug 31, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:30 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,639 Posts
Welcome to the wet side

Very nice work.

I saw you pop up on the airplane side a few times in the Gotha G-IV thread. I'm also a fan of WWI aeroplanes, but except for a few stick & tissue birds, mine were digital birds for a flight sim.

Hey Dan, I asked about threaded rod bracing which is how I originally planned to do Constellation - here's a fella actually doing it.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Aug 31, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:07 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Brace rigging

Jerry - yep - saw that in his post. Asked in a PM about his mechanicals.
He notes that he ties all his yards together though...want to hear about that and if any interest in separate control...

Yanc - ah, see now you're in Vancouver.
Hey - let's discuss your rigging and yard activation. A topic of high interest to a few of us. Really would like to find out much more about your whole build.
Beautiful woodwork, etc etc etc - really a great model....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:54 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
873 Posts
Yanc: Stunning work. What scale are these? My Surprise is 1:24 and she is a grand sailer but the work on yours makes mine look a bit kindergarden.

Absolutely excellent work.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
have to admit i'm quite overwhelmed by your kindness....i'm willing to bet that the quality of my work doesn't compare to that of you fellas....i'm just toooo impatient and impulsive, which is something i've tried to work on all my life and, i think, is part of the reason i have to build.......i'm kind of a measure once and cut 5 times kinda guy....but...somehow it gets done.. ...sorry...i have to use smileys....too insecure .....will try to draw some sketches on how i rigged the ship...i..a picture's worth a thousand words...especially in my case.....later.....vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Aug 31, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:02 PM
Joined Nov 2008
299 Posts
holy sht
thats incredible work, real nice job
dnchvs is offline Find More Posts by dnchvs
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:23 PM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
Incredible. Makes my current project look like a balsa shoebox in comparison. Yanco, I doubt theres many that visit this forum who can build with your kind of skill. In my opinion you are...without doubt, a true craftsman. Job well done and beautiful work.
catfishchaser is offline Find More Posts by catfishchaser
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
here's where i embarrass myself with my stick drawings ..took a photo......but what the heck...it gives a rough idea of what i did in past ships.....actually, i can hardly remember, so i'll have to figure it all out again it seems....this time round, i will use a small skill lithium drill for power if i can get to the wiring without too much difficulty....where to attach the invisible threads is a trial and error event as you can imagine....by the way, the model i copied was 1/72 scale, so i guess this is 1/36 scale....would be nice to find some figures for it but no luck ....was thinking of making dozens of simple little men out of pipe cleaners and paint them....from a distance might look neat...but that's another story..............thanks, vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 01, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:58 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,639 Posts
Yanc, we all obviously admire your work. I've looked very closely at the pics and have to say it's with good reason.

But...

You're on a forum of gear heads here. We love the glamor shots, but we wanna see under the hood too!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
under the hood?? under the hood??..yikes!! that's what i'm trying to hide!!! oh no!! i'm going to be exposed!!! my little ...my tiny.......gosh o' gee ....anyways....i'm happy to tell anythig i can regarding the build...but i didn't archive anything........cheers, vic
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:04 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,454 Posts
Vic, just found this thread. Stunning models, very ingenious approach to having workable running rigging. I couldn't match your level of skill in a dozen lifetimes. Love to see more pics.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:10 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,639 Posts
Try here and you'll see you have nothing to be ashamed of.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:18 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
private message

Sent you a PM on the firing guns.

If you are going to sail PrinceW a lot, you may want to consider separate controls for the foremast and for the main/mizzen. Certain maneuvers go best if the sails on those masts can be turned different directions at times.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:20 AM
belgium
Joined Aug 2009
29 Posts
hi vic good te here somone els bilding te same schaal like me

i here you lokking fore man on you schip. i had te same problem til i find te richt tois. normaly this are pirates but you can ribild them like i do.

and many thx fore te pic how you do you mast rigging
amazone is offline Find More Posts by amazone
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:44 AM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
thanks amazone....yes...i bought those figures too.....i think those are 1/32 scale and i correct myself...my scale is 1/36th.....so i would have to shorten those figures....like take off a section at the waist or shorten the legs......i read that sailors in those days were shorter too........fun to see someone had the same idea as i did..
jerry....looks great....those models ..an amazing concept....what a presentation!! ....i couldn't do that for the life of me
dan...didn't receive any pm....sent you an email in two parts...separate controls would be maybe too difficult for me at this stage...had i known you fellas in the beginning..maybe.....anyways i wasn't considering trying to sail the royal william correctly, so i found the simplest way to get it in the water with minimum control....i was mostly concerned with the visual emotional impact, opposed to a static museum piece.....just to go back an forth on a kinda sorta in a way, beamish reach.....in turning, i go into the wind, then back up in the opposite direction and away i go...of course i can only do this a few time before i reach shore watching these ships in the water is a flip flop for the heart...as you all have experienced....
ps...i wonder if i could make a rack for it on top of my smart car
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 01, 2009 at 10:16 AM.