SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
definitely words of wisdom....i'll check the degrees after i put the shrouds together.....wouldn't be hard to extend...put a heat sink close to the yard and solder a couple of diameters of brass extension tubing after cutting the rod.....
...............one thing though....i'm mainly building this for show and slow.....i won't be sailing this like you fellas....some look like racing yachts...my ports are open, although there are troughs to catch any water....so i won't be heeling to any large degree... hopefully.....yes it will sail, but with limitations.....i might even attach a fishing line to the stern and feed it out at a scaleish speed on occasion, or like i mentioned before, attach a water parachute as a drag...don't care if it stays in one spot with the sails full..........and..... only on a small lake or large pond.......i never thought a square rigger would go into the wind at all...maybe a limited beam reach....it's purely for the visual beauty rather than the sailing excitement...a working sculpture.....a step above a stuffy display case in a stuffy museum.......but if the angle movement of the yard is too small, i'll take those steps as you suggested....thanks!...
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 02, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
ok...regarding the twine....i got these nylon spools from a netting company...except for the white(for the running rigging), they are tarred.....so i will have to give a clear flat protective coat to avoid staining the sails...may try beeswax too......the white will be stained brown like the skraggles below...i think i invented a new word........or just misspelled it .....they were around $12 each....and were all i could find close to the right size needed.......i must have spent a couple of thousand on this boat so far...a wild guess.......i will have alot left over.....no more big projects after this...my $800/mo pension won't allow it .....
Old Sep 02, 2010, 02:05 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
Quote:
.it's purely for the visual beauty rather than the sailing excitement...a working sculpture.....a step above a stuffy display case in a stuffy museum......
nice to have somebody that thinks the same as me.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:54 AM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
danl.....you're absolutely right....i didn't realize how close to the masts they were......will rip them out and try again..the large ones too thick to rebend.....sure glad i posted in this forum....perpetuating my trial and error syndrome ..thanks, again.....
Old Sep 03, 2010, 07:10 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,375 Posts
yard attachment

yanc
here's a diagram from the Syren "archives"
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
yep i ripped the old out, and will bend new, extended, as you suggested...only the bottom three yards need to be changed....makes a big difference! ....you saved me a bit of pain there
Old Sep 04, 2010, 11:24 AM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
by the way

i checked with lucc about this, and i thought i'd get some extra feedback.....when one is trying to project the gunport placements to the side of a model, i never knew which way was correct.....enclosed photo....i tended to project from a vertical placement of plans....which was very difficult...maybe there is a correct way to do this......?
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:05 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,562 Posts
You're a little beyond gunport placement now, aren't you?

Use cardboard templates for each station marked with gun port lentils and sills, waterlines, wales, knuckles, moldings, etc. Then battens on the hull itself will fair up all the marks.

Gun port sills are typically a specific height above their deck - so marking the top of the deck line will get you your gun port line. On ships like the Bill the deck lines didn't follow the wales. You can see that in the Victory, where some gun ports, especially fore and aft, cut into the wales instead of conforming to them.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
thanks jerry....i deleted my response here, cause i thought i was getting too distracted.....cheers....
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 06, 2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
ditto here too....my sense of humor keeps getting carried away....working on finishing gunports now......
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 06, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:03 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
hope i'm not posting changes too often.....lower guns done....guns with carriages next........cheers.....
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 10, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:54 AM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
380 Posts
looks very good now.

ps : you can never got to much updates
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:01 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,132 Posts
Nice !!

http://www.koreus.com/video/mini-canon.html

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
cannon

.....hilarious.....! by the way....i'm not worrying about my imperfections any more...just saw a program on tv where stephen hawkings mentioned that, were it not for an imperfection at the time of the big bang, we and the universe would not ever have existed......(hmm... not sure about my grammar )
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 15, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:45 PM
Joined Oct 2006
825 Posts
cannons

cannons are basically done...... may fiddle around with adding some lines at the end...or may not........the row of cannon balls was a strip of 1/2 pearls i got at an art store...the strip had a sticky back....talk about simplistic cheating ....seems to work though....just figured out this light dolly this week...very handy......should have thought of it before..........ok...standing rigging next....some touch up painting, i'll do when my shoulders get sore......still have to figure out, build, and install the drives and servos before the rigging gets too complex....yea i do everything backwards