HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2006, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
Discussion
royal william

[IMG]vic-1[/IMG] [IMG]vic-2[/IMG] [IMG]vics bot[/IMG] [IMG]royal william-2[/IMG] [IMG]rw1[/IMG] [IMG]rw2[/IMG] [IMG]nsk1[/IMG] [IMG]nsk2[/IMG] [IMG]vasa-1[/IMG] [IMG]vasa-2[/IMG]
ok, now that i figured how to get the photos on the forum, i'll write an explanation. it'll take a short time..thanks..
first, is an 8 foot model of the royal william which will be, in two to five years (due to a multitude of sculptures which i'll have to figure out how to build), a radio controlled sailing ship, which is scratch built, and coppied from the eruo model kit, which i built as shown in the second two photos. it won't be exactly the same. i'm building it by using photos so graciously donated by grant walker at the us naval academy, of the royal william in the rogers collection.
the next two photos are of a large modified r/c version of the billings norske love which i built 30 years ago ...it looked great in the water..
next two, are photos of the vasa built from plans from the vasa museum with added decorations from the mantua panart kit or whatever its called now. just a static model of course.
ok now...the next two are of a 13 foot r/c model of the victory built about 19 years ago. it was actually pulling three of us along in an inflatable in false creek in vancouver....the sails turn and of course, the rudder.
i keep pretty much to myself, and only a few of my friends know what i build on the side.... i figure so few people are interested in ships these days. eg....i had the victory on display in the window of a store. (the only one who was interested) and after hours, i stood outside for an hour or more to see peoples reactions....in front of the ship, along with other stuff, was a little inflatable bar to put your drinks on in the swiming pool. a few people remarked on the boat. many didn't see it, but i often heard the exclamation: wow, we gotta get one of those inflatable bars!!!
we have a maritime museum with a great ship modeler, lucian ploias, but the museum with only one or two dozen great ship models, seems nothing more than a maritime kindergarden....hard to believe it was, up until this year, home to the executive director james delgado from the sea hunters.....to me its an embarasment. just not enough interest from the public i guess. i only submitted these photos because a friend modeler persuaded me to do so. i'm not a maticulous builder, but rather a trial and error builder 70% trial 30% error, and ends up building mostly from photos and guesswork..hard to find a right angle on any of these ships as a reference for measurements.... anyways, i've taken up enough space..thanks for looking, vic
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Dec 14, 2006 at 09:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2006, 05:32 PM
Builder of funny ideas
Hamilton, Ont
Joined Nov 2006
57 Posts
What a gorgeous model! Ive never looked into how to set up a square-rigger for RC, what channels and how many do what?

Good luck, that will look sweet on the water.
LordStrato is offline Find More Posts by LordStrato
Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
quite simple...only two chanels, unless you want to have little fellers running up and down the ratlines....for the sails, a nut on a long screw, the line attached to the nut on one end, and the other, attached to the outsides of the main yard. from there, i attached invisible thread, joining all the yards, keeping the threads parallel with varying widths depending on the width of the yard. the yards attach to the mast with a simple hinge..steel rod in copper tubing....which keeps the yards at right angle to the mast...was thinking of adding a clip on underwater motor to attach to the keel in case of a sudden blow so i have some more control. but its probably silly, anyways, cheers....vic
Old Dec 14, 2006, 07:42 PM
Suspended Account
kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
577 Posts
Quote:
i'm not a maticulous builder, but rather a trial and error builder 70% trial 30% error

You must be a great photographer, Vic. I can't see any of this 'error' you're talking about.

Those models are magnificent.
badaltitude is offline Find More Posts by badaltitude
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:38 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch
i keep pretty much to myself, and only a few of my friends know what i build on the side....
Thank goodness your buddy convinced you to post here! Your models are gorgeous and deserve worldwide recognition.

You probably have many ideas and techniques, and much knowledge you can pass along that we can learn from. The internet with forums such as these are the ideal breeding grounds to bring fledgling modelers together with the 'old salts'.

I'm really glad you decided to post the pictures.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
gee thanks, you are very kind.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,781 Posts
My husband is stunned ...and humbled by your beautiful display of craftmanship.

Toe's Up's Wife, who is an empassioned lover of the grand tall ships of yore.
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Dec 15, 2006, 04:26 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Vic, you have to take photo's with a higher resolution, I couldn't spot the errors you were talking about Man, I'm humbled!
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:10 AM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
I can only guess at the hours you have spent on these models. They look beautiful. I (and many others) really appreciate the trouble you went through to post here. If you ever feel 2nd place to an inflatable bar again...just come here and get the recognition you deserve. This kind of work falls into a whole different kind of classification. Your work is more like fine art.
Beautiful......simply beautiful.
Boatfox is offline Find More Posts by Boatfox
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:55 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
i thank you, considering the angles.......... i put something together, and say, thats ok. then six weeks later i glance at it while practicing the piano, and jump up and say "its crooked!" and have to straighten it, or rebuild it. in other words, getting all the angles and shapes reasonably uniform and straight or balanced, was the hard part, especially when the plans are skimpy or building from pictures. and i must apologize to the knowledgable modelers for not knowing the names of the various parts of the ship, as all the model kits i built in the past were in italian.(: ... like some people, i had a passion for these ships, and these models were built out of passion.
i'm in awe of the workmanship and artistry that went into building the real ships during the past centuries, not to mention the seamanship.......i call myself the seasick shipbuilder. ...and i had to make them sail...i had to..........thanks again, vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Dec 15, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
amazing...Victor! I'm not surprised at all that everyone really appreciates your skills! Doing this all from scratch....looking at a picture...astonishing.

I am a really good friend of Victor's. I've had a privilege to see some of these boats up close! Wooooooooooooooooow!

See you soon Victor! Paul
paulandrew is offline Find More Posts by paulandrew
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:23 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

Your ships are a true work of art, floating museum pieces.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:16 PM
Irregular... need..fiber!
a snazzy little suburb of L.A. called Encino
Joined Jul 2005
403 Posts
You may proceed without fear of torpedo attack in my lake any day! Please share any knowledge or wisdom you can with us humble modelers, you are truly an artist.
Cap'n Horrible
HorribleHarry is offline Find More Posts by HorribleHarry
Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:01 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,616 Posts
My that is some lovely work! You are indeed a master model builder.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 16, 2006, 08:22 AM
Salty1
Joined Oct 2006
19 Posts
Exellent workmanship and apparent love of the Old Sailers regardless of seasickness!!
Keep tacking your craft to perfection!!!
Salty1 is offline Find More Posts by Salty1