Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2001, 06:41 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Which is a good receiver for the .40 to .60 size e-plane conversions???

I never had really shopped for a lite weight receiver and just thought i'd ask What's everybody is useing??.I have a fma tetra in my twin star.i also use a fma fortress for a test receiver but never have checked the weight.thanxs for your help.stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2001, 06:56 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,343 Posts
It's probably difficult to find a better small receiver than the RCD/Hitec 555.
Sparky Paul
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2001, 09:10 PM
Pine Bluff,AR,USA
Joined May 2001
94 Posts
Nothing beats a JR. I am a glow heli pilot mainly and they are harder on RX's due to vibrationa nd etc. than anything out there. A JR is the creme of the crop. Futaba's are not as good and Hitec's are fine, but lack the refinement of a JR. JR does cost a bit more I admit, but as the old saying goes, the good things are cheap and the cheap things aren't good. I do hear great things about the Multiplex RX's though. Their PPD RX's that are half PPM(FM) and half PCM. You set your TX to transmit in PPM and the RX still has pre-set hold points like a PCM does.
TopGun is offline Find More Posts by TopGun
Old Jul 28, 2001, 10:01 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Agree with Topgun

I fly both Jr and Hitec. Favorite, due to years of reliable flight, is Hitec Supreme.
Great reliablility, 8 channels etc.

Price is right, excellent reliable erformance

Standard for Eflight seems to be the Hitec 555

DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 28, 2001, 11:24 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,275 Posts
The answer to this question is directly tied to the brand transmitter that will be used with the receiver and the type of signal propagation used. You cannot use JR or Airtronics receivers with Hitec and Futaba because of the frequency shift-JR and Airtronics is positive-Hitec and Futaba is negative. There are also other factors to be considered.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:21 AM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
You should consider the FMA Extreme 5 receiver. It is one of the lowest cost dual conversion receivers on the market. It is definitely worth consideration.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:51 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Question: How many channels do you want (now); and how many might you want in the future?

I have a ton of Hitec 555's for 5 or less channels, and a Hitec Fortress for 8 channels. Bulletproof in my experience; readily available; relatively inexpensive.

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jul 29, 2001, 01:00 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
I'll agree: Hitec Surpreme or Super Slim (which is just a 7 channel repackaging of the 555 I'm told) or the 555 itself (for 5 or fewer channels). Note that these are available in both high or low shifts so can be gotten to work with whatever transmitter type you have.

I've also had decent luck with FMA receivers and have an Extreme 5 I need to try out.

Of course in a plane that size, the receiver that came with the transmitter should be just fine.... 3/4 of an ounce on a 40 to 60 size plane isn't going to be that big a deal. I fly planes that size with my full sized Airtronics Rxs.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 29, 2001, 02:45 AM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
FMA has the only true dual conversion micro receiver on the market. this will be the next one i buy, as you never see them for sale used. i too fly JR, nothing but.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Jul 29, 2001, 03:38 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
On a big plane like that you can use anything you like. If you particularly want a small Rx I'll second the Hitec 555. Lovely piece of kit.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jul 29, 2001, 04:26 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
You won't beat Futaba for dependability. I gave away a jr 7 channel because of reliability problems. The jr shift is different than Futaba by the way if you buy one it won't be compatible.
Hitec is ok for the price but not up on quality control issues. Their service is top notch though.
Multiplex seems to be leading edge but relatively new here. not widely distributed either.

For a 40 – 60 size plane E or other wise you shouldn’t need micro gear. I’d get a Futaba FM
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jul 30, 2001, 12:26 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Gentalmen THANK-YOU for the replys! Rite now i fly only 4channel airplanes.i use a futaba skysport radio&a hitec focas 3.i do have a older futaba pcm radio but i use that for my giant scale planes.Have fun,stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44