HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2006, 05:53 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Help!
Connecting Transmitter to PC

Well, I had used a program called "computer model simulator" or something of the sort before, and it worked fine with my transmitter I used. I used a basic one that came with my dragonfly helicopter (RTR). I have a cable that connects it to my serial port (it came with the helicopter, as well as the transmitter and program). So anyways, I tried to use it the other day, and I can't get the computer to recognize that I even plugged anything in. The program won't work unless somehting is plugged in, and I have tried everything (with it off, with it on, crystal out, crystal in, all kinds of stuff).

I then downloaded FMS because I thought I would give that a try. It won't recognize my transmitter is plugged in either. I don't know what to do. I don't want to spend $200 on G3, so I was trying to go the cheap route. Any suggestions?

P.S. I know my computers... I am not some guy that just turns it on and uses it. Also, I have a Hitec Optic 6 transmitter I would like to use, but the buddy cable connector is not the same as on my cheap dragonfly transmitter...

Thanks, Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:47 PM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck
I have a cable that connects it to my serial port (it came with the helicopter, as well as the transmitter and program). So anyways, I tried to use it the other day, and I can't get the computer to recognize that I even plugged anything in.
Unfortunately it seems to be hw failure.

The Dragonfly has a proprietry system to connect it to the PC. The internal uC in your radio provides serial bytes, these bytes are directly transferred to the serial port, and the cable is just a wire.

The majority of the radios send out ppm code. The "cable" is uses a microcontroller to convert the ppm signal to bytes for the serial or usb connector.

Considering it, your cable is working only with it's own radio. If there is no hw failure, you can use it for other simulators, like FMS, MS Flight sim etc. You have to install ppjoy, it receives the bytes and provides a virtual joystick for any standard windows program. Ppjoy has many possible input formats. First add a virtual joystick, then run ppjoycom and select "Zhen Hua" format. Calibrate it as windows joystick first, then try the sim program. Worth to take a look to the installation docs of ppjoy.

If there is a hw failure in your Dragonfly radio, you should buy a Hitec usb simulator cable for your Optic 6. (it converts the standard ppm signal to bytes for the usb input) It's about 30 usd. It has native windows driver, plug and play, no need for complicated drivers etc. Working with FMS, ClearView, MS Fligt sim etc.
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Old Dec 14, 2006, 02:19 AM
Tel Aviv
Joined Feb 2006
217 Posts
Quote:
The Dragonfly has a proprietry system to connect it to the PC. The internal uC in your radio provides serial bytes, these bytes are directly transferred to the serial port, and the cable is just a wire.
If you refer to Walkera Dragonfly, then you probably mean that it is a PCM transmitter.

If so, let me suggest you take a look at SmartPropoPlus which I wrote. It is Totally free and it supports PPM and several PCM formats, including Walkera.
You will need to create your own cable according the instructions and connect it to your sound-card.
shaul_ei is offline Find More Posts by shaul_ei
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:57 AM
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaul_ei
If you refer to Walkera Dragonfly, then you probably mean that it is a PCM transmitter.

If so, let me suggest you take a look at SmartPropoPlus which I wrote. It is Totally free and it supports PPM and several PCM formats, including Walkera.
You will need to create your own cable according the instructions and connect it to your sound-card.
Hi, I just wanted to say that your a GoD! I am a newbie in the R/C scene but I recently got my xmas present from my Wife a Kyosho Calinato r/c plane and I have no previous flying experience. I cannot afford right now any expensive sims and controllers but I do have an old sim cd somewhere from my friend. Using your site I plan to make the cable myself and testing it out before I try to fly my baby in the real cruel world :P

Wish me luck. Thanks again for your info it was invaluable!
oni222 is offline Find More Posts by oni222
Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:30 AM
The BA
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaul_ei
If so, let me suggest you take a look at SmartPropoPlus which I wrote.
Nice work! I've been using SmartPropoPlus to connect my DX7 to the 'puter with a simple audio plug and it works flawlessly.
GoLikeaFish is offline Find More Posts by GoLikeaFish
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Computer controlled Quadrotor

Hello, to who ever happens to read this. I need some help.
I have experience working with electronics but Im new to rc's.

I have a project and its purpose is to control a quad-rotor using Microsoft Xbox kinect and my hand movements as the controller.

First I bought a (Xbox 360 kinect) and a (Quad Pod by snelflight), I bought a ( spektrum AR 600 2.4Ghz reciever)

I also have a Dell Inspiron n5110 ( win 7 64bit, Intel i5 with WiFi and Bluetooth capability)

So I made program using Visual C++ which I intend to use to convert my sign movements to signals that will be send t to the receiver.

My problem is that I cant find anything that will send a signal to the AR600 that isn't a spektrum transmitter (rc remote)

So im facing the task of sending a signal through some type of tx device that bind with the AR600, and by the way, where does DSMX come in to play and does it have anithing to do with my computer?
XZer05 is offline Find More Posts by XZer05
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
hey, i have a dx5e and i cant get the controller to connect to my PC , i was trying to use smartpropoplus, and ppjoy or v joy something like that. i cant get it to work.. can anyone help to make it work?
Nastagol is offline Find More Posts by Nastagol
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,661 Posts
Sounds like you're trying to use a cable to the sound card. That does work though it's not as good as a cheap USB adaptor.

But if you want to carry on with it first you have to decide exactly what software you're using and what simulator program you want to use it with. Then if you follow all the instructions for installing the programs you can let us know what you've done and exactly what happened.

Then someone might be able to help.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
yeah, well, i want to use it with realflight simulator not sure wich one, i think its 4.5. but i dont have the cracked version anymore

i do have an usb adaptor for stereo and mic plug in it would that work? in that case what should i do?

i would like to use it with phoenix, i know i can get it, but would it work with a cheap usb adapter on directly in audio card? if you guys have any idea of which sim i could use, please tell me, just by curiosity could i use it with fs one?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 03:20 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,661 Posts
If you want to use your TX with stolen/ripped off commercial simulators you're not going to get much help here.

And don't you think it's a bit stupid telling everyone on a public forum that you're trying to break the law ?

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:47 AM
Joined Apr 2013
5 Posts
100% agree with slipstick. This is the type of group that loves to tweak and optimize simulator software and hardware, and to share knowledge with other enthusiasts. Posts regarding piracy have a chilling effect on sharing information. People don't want to be unintentional accomplices to stealing the work of the simulator providers that provide us with amazing and fun programs. And hosts don't want uninvited liabilities that threaten all the work invested in building a successful forum. Simply posting that type of request impacts everyone in this forum.
Pville211 is offline Find More Posts by Pville211
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
yeah i though about that yesterday, i will buy phoenix with the dx5e.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
Say No to stolen software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastagol View Post
yeah, well, i want to use it with realflight simulator not sure wich one, i think its 4.5. but i dont have the cracked version anymore
As someone who makes their living as a full time programmer, I'll have to agree with the others. Would you appreciate it if a programmer stole your transmitter?

Remember the Golden Rule.

And it sounds like you have, so I'll stop piling on to you with the others. But I think this is something for others who might be in a similar situation to consider.

I'm not perfect either. I sometimes download pirated music. But after I've listened to it I delete it. If I like it then I buy it, if not then it's deleted anyway. I think of it as similar to trying on clothes to see if they fit, or trying a demo mode of some software. If you find that it is of value to you, then make sure that the one who did all the work gets paid.
JohannM is offline Find More Posts by JohannM
Last edited by JohannM; Apr 17, 2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Just trying to be reasonable.