HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:59 PM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Discussion
Specktrum DX7 and my first Turbine

In my week off at Christmas I am going to build my first Turbine model and am paranoid about glitching...... I have over 30 electric models and have had my fair share. I am therefore thinking about the Specktrum DX7 2.4 gig setup as being the way to go as it claims to be 'Glitch free'................What do you hardcore turbine boys think ?

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is online now Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:28 PM
Burnin Kero & Diesel Downunder
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Well I will have one very soon myself and plan to try out first on some sport prop models to see for myself then it will go straight into my jets if alls well.
The reports Iam hearing coming from some of the experienced jet flyers who have used it so far the DX-7 works just fine and so far no complaints at all other than limitation to 7 channels. I would be very curious to hear if the DX-7 maybe even 'better' (range/interference wise) when installed in composite airframes than current systems..... I would expect RCJI will do a full product review on the DX-7 sooner than later.
Marty C... is offline Find More Posts by Marty C...
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:07 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,311 Posts
I personally dont get the claims that Spectrum makes about block outs so they improve that situation by adding an additonal rx in another orientation ie DX6, park range,

Then they release the DX7 and double the rx up two fold for a total of 4 onboard rx and 4 antenna orientations.

What is blocking it ?????

Seems to me a turbine is a huge hunk of metal, then tailpipes, then carbon bypass and fuselage construction. Those little rx in the nose of a jet wont even clear the width of a turbine.

It also seems strange that they have not ruled out turbine use, so I'm after more definition of this anttenna blocking and how it relates to turbine enviroment.....
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:57 AM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Well I just ordered on should pick it up tommorrow

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Dec 16, 2006, 02:55 AM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Got it and am very impressed. In the uk you tend to get the Heli version but it is the same as the Aircraft but has the gear and flap switch reversed. Also no charger or rx pack in the uk version and no rachet on the throttle although a rachet strip is provided and I changed it easily. Any JR charger is ok but DONT USE FUTABA as the polarities are reversed on JR. Here are a couple of pics. The duel receiver in different locations uses two channels and prevents and blocking of the signal by say the turbine

Dont use AR6000 receivers however as they are not full range

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:11 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f
I personally dont get the claims that Spectrum makes about block outs so they improve that situation by adding an additonal rx in another orientation ie DX6, park range,

Then they release the DX7 and double the rx up two fold for a total of 4 onboard rx and 4 antenna orientations.

What is blocking it ?????

Seems to me a turbine is a huge hunk of metal, then tailpipes, then carbon bypass and fuselage construction. Those little rx in the nose of a jet wont even clear the width of a turbine.

It also seems strange that they have not ruled out turbine use, so I'm after more definition of this anttenna blocking and how it relates to turbine enviroment.....
Lots of good info in the radio forums about this new system.

It does not have 4 RX units. The DX-7's AR7000 has two RXs, each with two antennas. The earlier DX-6 had two RX units in one case, with one antenna on each RX unit.

The DX-7 uses the next generation of DSM technology invented by Spektrum: DSM2.

The new design is testing out perfectly in all types of models, with no blocking by masses of metal or carbon or batteries.

They have not only NOT ruled out it's use in turbine models, it has been tested in turbine models for many flights and fully approved for turbine use by the company.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,410 Posts
I am looking forward some "real life" test flight in Turbine models before I myself switch from my Graupner MC24 to this new technology !!

So far I use the "dual rx diversity"system from ACT Germany with the "dual frequency" Tx module made by ACT for the MC24. So, it is safe proof and therefore I have no urge to switch to 2,4 ghz, but still I am interested to switch to it as soon as it will be widely approved and used in the Jet community :-)
bmaaa is offline Find More Posts by bmaaa
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaaa
I am looking forward some "real life" test flight in Turbine models before I myself switch from my Graupner MC24 to this new technology !!

So far I use the "dual rx diversity"system from ACT Germany with the "dual frequency" Tx module made by ACT for the MC24. So, it is safe proof and therefore I have no urge to switch to 2,4 ghz, but still I am interested to switch to it as soon as it will be widely approved and used in the Jet community :-)
I am going to test it in a IC model first but all the reports comming out of the US look good............... Someone has to be first

Dennis