HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:38 PM
Airplane Nut
Montana
Joined Jun 2005
337 Posts
After having one of my servos strip, i replaced all 3 with HS-55's. The stock servos have a little bit of slop you can notice if you grab a pushrod and wiggle it up and down. That's gone now with the HS-55's.
The factory is sending me the receiver crystal for the purple (ch 54) axe and I'm going to fly it with my 9C. It's a negative shift receiver, so if you fly JR or Airtronics, your best bet is to just swap out the receiver with one of your own.
Anyone have plans drawn up for some upgrades? (brushless; h-h gyro; belt drive tail; hs-65's; etc...)
dfalcon is offline Find More Posts by dfalcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:39 PM
Airplane Nut
Montana
Joined Jun 2005
337 Posts
subscribe
dfalcon is offline Find More Posts by dfalcon
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:47 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
Say, what kind of RX antenna do you guys use on a heli this size, Azars?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Dec 22, 2006, 01:04 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
378 Posts
The length of the stock blades sound a little short for the weight that is being lifted. Will the single motor tail using 245cm or 255cm blades keep the tail behind the nose?
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:39 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
So does anyone have a honest comparison of how this heli handles vs the G3.5 sim model? On the sim it seems very underpowered and very slow during flips and rolls. I modded the G3.5 model and reduced the flybar weights by 50% and added a 2800Kv Himax motor to "wake it up".. Now that I think about it the G3 version of the MX-400 was very underpowered as well they both had the climb out (in stock form) of what my CP2 has but they were no where near that of my real MX-400 running on a 400DH or my Honeybee King.

cheers,
Ray
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Dec 22, 2006, 03:32 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynet11
So does anyone have a honest comparison of how this heli handles vs the G3.5 sim model? On the sim it seems very underpowered and very slow during flips and rolls. I modded the G3.5 model and reduced ...
I also modified the G3.5 model: To make the model handleable by me, I added a heavy dose of expo. The model has a Lipo battery and I gave it back its stock NiMH.
With this, I could pull a loop (barely) with the model, but not a flip or a roll (I could hear the rotor rpm drop as it dived like a brick into the ground).
Then I did another modification (doable in real life with the right transmitter):
altered the idle-up mode to have a 100%-80%-100% throttle curve (instead of something like 90%-50%-90% in the original model, not sure of the exact numbers, but they seem low).
Now I could manage (barely) a flip/roll.
So if the sim is accurate, mucking with the throttle curves should help it.

Two caveats on what I have to say here:
1. I modified the model to run with the heavy stock NiMH.
2. I am a newbie. In real-life (non-sim land), I have only flown coaxial helis,
and will be trying to fly my first non-coaxial soon (switching it over to a non-stock transmitter with low rates and expo).

But at least G3/G3.5 now has some micro-heli models for me to try out (Axe CP/EZ).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Dec 22, 2006, 03:36 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
So does anyone have a honest comparison of how this heli handles vs the G3.5 sim model? On the sim it seems very underpowered and very slow during flips and rolls. ...
I forgot to mention. Try post 6 in this thread (comparing hovering stability):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610102
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:26 PM
USA, MI, Benton Harbor
Joined Feb 2006
456 Posts
I've got about 6 batteries through it now. Can hover within a 4 foot area for about 30 seconds. Then, I get a little behind and start to chase it in circles. I think its an excellent platform to learn on and then advance to CP aerobatics.

Can't believe the plane only pilots in the above post are already doing figure eights. Congrats guys! I must be a slow learner. Just wait till after Christmas, I'll be flying circles.
s65jet is offline Find More Posts by s65jet
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklyte24
yes guys, id suggest putting better servos. i replaced my broken one with a hitec cheapy 55 servo and its much better..
heck u can get the hitec one for like 14$?.. while the retail of the axe cp servo is 20$..
anyways have fun with ur axe cp guys happy holidays too
If you're going to change the stock servos, may I suggest that since the AXE CP is a CCPM heli, that all the servos should to be changed to the same brand/model at the same time - that mixing servo brands and/or model can cause strange flight charactoristics because of mismatched servo speeds/torque ratings.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Last edited by babblefish; Dec 22, 2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Quote:
So does anyone have a honest comparison of how this heli handles vs the G3.5 sim model? On the sim it seems very underpowered and very slow during flips and rolls. I modded the G3.5 model and reduced the flybar weights by 50% and added a 2800Kv Himax motor to "wake it up".. Now that I think about it the G3 version of the MX-400 was very underpowered as well they both had the climb out (in stock form) of what my CP2 has but they were no where near that of my real MX-400 running on a 400DH or my Honeybee King.

cheers,
Ray
I've flown both (SIM and actual heli). The SIM is definitely easier (my cat can fly it, and he has a limp). Haven't tried 3D on my actual AXE yet - partly because I don't know how, but mainly because I'm chicken. I can 3D the SIM all day long, but then I don't have to pay for parts....

On a related note, I've mentioned before that I thought the AXE EZ (coaxial heli) on the SIM was way too easy and that the actual heli will probably be harder - well, I flew the real one and it's not too far off from the SIM; or should I say the SIM is not too far off from the actual. The real heli is a bit more responsive (thank goodness!) and seems to have pretty good tail lock - better than the original Blade CX. The EZ flys fairly well and is a good alternative to the Blade. The main differences between it and the CX is that the CX has better fit and finish and sounds a lot smoother.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Last edited by babblefish; Dec 22, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 08:09 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
I originally wanted to get a cp heli as my first heli. I have 3d plane experience, and on g3.5, can hover nose in, tail in, do loops, rools, and circuits without crashing. I was dissuaded from the cp to a honey bee fp mk2. I dont have one yet. Today I went to the hobby shop and started to look at the axe cp. What I found was that the swash plate to begin with, was about two to three times as thick as the bcpp, and overall, the heli just seems much more durable. Has anyone crashed it and tested its durability? Is it a good first heli? Thanks.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Dec 23, 2006, 08:27 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
I've flown both (SIM and actual heli). The SIM is definitely easier (my cat can fly it, and he has a limp). ...
A question. How much easier do you find the SIM than the real Axe CP?
You had mentioned elsewhere finding that the SIM was a bit easier to hover,
but "not by much" (post 6 in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610102 ).
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Or Die
I originally wanted to get a cp heli as my first heli. I have 3d plane experience, and on g3.5, can hover nose in, tail in, do loops, rools, and circuits without crashing. I was dissuaded from the cp to a honey bee fp mk2. I dont have one yet. Today I went to the hobby shop and started to look at the axe cp. What I found was that the swash plate to begin with, was about two to three times as thick as the bcpp, and overall, the heli just seems much more durable. Has anyone crashed it and tested its durability? Is it a good first heli? Thanks.
I have been checking it out rather thoroughly and noticed the thicker swash as well. Here's the other thing I noticed. It's a Bell design, not a Bell-Hiller, which can mean a couple different things:

Since it's not a Bell-Hiller, there a a couple fewer parts to break in the event of a hard crash. Thats a good thing.

Since it's Bell, it's not going to be as responsive as a Bell-Hiller. That can be both good and bad. Good for a new pilot as it leaves a little more room for pilot error. Bad for a more experienced pilot because it will not perform 3D manuevers as "tightly" as a similar bird with Bell-Hiller.
Also, it's a little heavier than the heli's its made to compete with (CP, CP2). Again, this is good for a beginner as it makes for a more stable bird, bad for an experienced pilot because it slows the bird down.

Those are just my observations based on pics I've seen and info I've gained reading these forums.

I plan on picking one up real soon and comparing it side to side with my VNR3D.
jjdustr340 is offline Find More Posts by jjdustr340
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:17 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
Would any of you reccomend it for a begginer against an esky honey bee fp2?
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Dec 23, 2006, 09:28 PM
Joined Apr 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Or Die
Would any of you reccomend it for a begginer against an esky honey bee fp2?
Read my post above yours for some thoughts about that.
jjdustr340 is offline Find More Posts by jjdustr340