HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2001, 04:24 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
How do you tell if you have a cold solder?

I'm reworking some battery packs. And was just wondering if there was a way to tell if you have a cold solder joint.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2001, 06:15 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
By looks, look real close. If you can't say its perfect, redo it. Another way of putting it is, if you are wondering if it is right, it's not.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jul 28, 2001, 07:52 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If you can see it, it needs to be shiny. If it's dull, it's bad. However, tough to see between cells!
I always try to pull my cells apart after soldering them. I also drop the soldered up strips of cells (before I complete the pack) on the bench a few times to see if anything gives.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 28, 2001, 06:28 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2001
38 Posts
If it's a lump it's bad. If it's flat and look like it's blending with the surface, it's good.
tahustvedt is offline Find More Posts by tahustvedt
Old Jul 28, 2001, 07:33 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,175 Posts
Shiny is good but I've found it hard to get on a battery because of the great heat sink capacity of the battery. If the solder is all liquid when I remove the iron, it's a take for me. The iron has got to be hot enough to melt it in under a second. You should be able to see the solder hardening in a few seconds after the iron is removed.
hoppy

PS Andy's comment on dropping the pack reminds me of the technique ham radio operators use when getting a new rig...drop it on the table from a couple inches up to see if there are any loose connections. Better to have the factory fix them while under warranty.

I've been using this technique on my RC eauipment. Dive it in from 50' and see if it still works.
[This message has been edited by hoppy (edited 07-28-2001).]

hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 28, 2001, 08:12 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Thanks. Looks Like I'm doing something right for a change.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
Old Jul 28, 2001, 08:56 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy:
Shiny is good but I've found it hard to get on a battery because of the great heat sink capacity of the battery. If the solder is all liquid when I remove the iron, it's a take for me
The iron doesn't need to be all that hot for solder to stick to a cell - but you DO need to have a large enough tip to be able to hea the end of the cell without all the heat being drawn out of the tip. 40W is more than enough to solder any size cell, more heat (power) doesn't help. That's why the guns are so useless - no mass in the tip.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W