HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

3D Hobby Shop 47'' Yak 54 ARF Review

Get Real explores the 3DHobbyShop 47'' Yak 54 During a Cold And Windy Winter!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:47.2"
Wing Area:424 sq. in.
Weight:34-38 oz.
Length:37.5" (without spinner)
Wing Loading:11.5-13 oz/sq. ft.
Servos::4 Hitec HS 65's
Transmitter:Spektrum DX 7
Receiver:AR6000
Battery:Thunder Power 2070
Motor:Torque 2818T/900
ESC:Airboss 35A ESC
Prop:Apc 13x6.5E
Available From:3DHobbyShop.com

As soon as I watched the video of this all new yak, I knew i had to have one (ok, maybe two). From its larger size to its good looks, this is a lot of plane for the money and it has a lot of nice features. There's 3 color choices, free fast shipping and for a limited time if you mention higherplaneproductions.com you even get an added bonus with your order. I ordered mine with the Torque 2818T/900 brushless outrunner and Airboss 35 esc combo right away and now I get to fly it/and let me tell you... its a lot of fun.

Kit Contents

Quality is high throughout! Fit and finish is excellent.

The kit contains:

• A quality carbon fiber wing spar and landing gear.;
  • thumbscrews for wing attachment and removal (no tools needed);
  • velcro battery strap (a must have for aggressive pilots);
  • good landing gear axles;
  • an included optional pull pull rudder set up;
  • a very nice one piece hatch canopy (no gluing needed);
  • the magnets for securing the canopy's hatch (for easy access and quick battery changes.)
  • cowling & nice looking baffle for proper cooling
  • a very attractive decal sheet.

Kit Requires (all available at 3DHobbyShop.com):

• Radio; 4 Channel or higher(computer radio preferably)
  • Esc; 35Amp or more (Airboss 35 worked very well)
  • Brushless outrunner; Torque 2818T/900 (similar powered outrunners will work as well)
  • 4 servos; Hitec hs 65's work best
  • 3 cell lipo; TP 2100 prolite with 12x6e prop or TP 2070 Extreme with 13x6.5e
  • Prop; APC 12x6e to 13x6.5e
  • 2'' spinner. Dubro spinner

Assembly

The yak 54 goes together quickly and most of the work is done for you. I assembled the yak by the book and found it to be a Bullet Proof build and everything was straight and true (no sanding or heating required).

Note that the cowl requires some extra trimming and that's to be expected. A nice looking baffle for cowling is included (the cowl takes in a lot of air and can possibly eject canopy if baffle isn't used).

Auw was well within the suggested 34-38 oz range with recommended power set and lipo (36.5 oz with tp 2070). For complete assembly start to finish see step by step assembly in the build thread.

Completion

Flying

I got lucky on maiden and the wind was fairly calm. It was soon easy to get comfortable enough to knife edge a few feet off the ground shortly after take off... its rare that a plane feels that good from the start. And it just keeps getting better the more I fly it.

The yak is very well mannered. Its larger size makes it easy to take off and land in wind conditions that can toss smaller electrics around. I've put a number of flights on the yak and most have been in overcast skies with high winds. It handles wind very well and you'll find you'll be able to fly it in conditions that make smaller electrics a handful or just flat out keep them grounded.. no fun not flying because a little wind (the yak does really well regardless of wind).

The yak really flies well and inspires confidence. It's very stable and goes where you point it. Coming down low in calmer conditions is fun/stalls are gentle. The Torque motor and Airboss 35 esc provide plenty of power for quick recoveries and unlimited vertical climbs. There's plenty of power to hover with excellent punch out. It's at home at slow speeds just as much as at higher precision and aerobatic speeds. Rolls are axial. Snap rolls are quick or slow depending on entrance speed and stop well. Hammerheads aka stall turns are very nice with plenty of rudder authority.

The yak really shines in knife edge flight with very little coupling. The yak flies aerobatics really well and I tried some light 3D with it also despite the wind. Hovering requires very little effort though the wind tended to blow it across the sky at times while in a hover. Harriers and elevators were also affected by wind but I'm sure with more stick time and calmer wind conditions I'll be doing a lot more 3D with the yak.

Its larger size and stable flight at slow speeds make it easy to fly in smaller flying areas with confidence. It truly is the best balsa plane of this size I've flown yet. The yak 54 is also very durable, as I found out recently in calmer winds when I smacked the runway REALLY hard while having fun. Damage was very minor compared to the impact and it's good as new now... just a further testament to the design and quality construction. Even if you have some scrapes with Terra firma there's full parts back up available. 100% of the replacement parts for the airframe were in stock when I checked (though the repair didn't require any parts for the plane itself).

Is This For a Beginner?

No. I've been flying for about a year and a half now. I'm an average pilot with basic aerobatic and very basic 3D experience. As well mannered as the yak is, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone that's not comfortable with at least a 4 channel aerobatic park flyer. Its very stable and can be kept in tight flying areas and flown very slow but isn't a trainer for learning how to fly.

Aerobatic Flying Video

Downloads

3D Video Provided By 3DHobbyShop.com

Note about videos: The Yak in this 3d video is totally stock, built according to the manual and weighs 37.5 oz. Flown w/ APC 13x6.5 prop.

Downloads

Conclusion

The market has been demanding larger electrics that can still be powered and fly well on a single 2100 size pack and the yak really fits the market with excellent quality and flight performance. The 3DHobbyShop.com Yak 54 flies really well and a broad range of pilots, from experienced park flyers to seasoned 3D pilots should really enjoy it. The price is a bargain for this size and quality! the combos make the bargain even sweeter. When using the recommended set up, flight performance and response are excellent. If your a newer to or learning 3D pilot like me, the Yak 54 is very stable and will make learning go easier.

Great job 3DHobbyShop for a well thought out design that really performs well. I'm really looking forward to future releases from 3DHobbyShop.

Plusses:

• Great performance
  • Great price
  • Very complete, high quality kit
  • Even cowl baffle is included
  • Combo packages make price even better
  • Very little rudder coupling

Minuses:

• Had to trim cowl to fit. (I had to find SOMEthing!)
Last edited by Get Real; Jan 21, 2007 at 07:13 PM..

Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:45 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Well Done Get Real---beautiful plane for sure!!! Another A+ for Ben and his crew at 3dHS
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:52 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Thanks/Im looking forward to better weather for more flying with the Yak and more video.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:51 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,373 Posts
That snap half way through the first video is the fastest, most violent snap I have ever seen. Nice.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:20 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Thanks,the yak does a lot of things really well. snaps and knife edge are some of my favorites .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:05 PM
Sir Buildsalot
Stockbridge, GA
Joined Nov 2002
646 Posts
YEAH!!!

Where did you get those nice full wheel pants? They look nicer than the stock ones.
MailOrderGuy is offline Find More Posts by MailOrderGuy
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:44 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
There the wheel pants for the katana/i liked the looks to .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:17 AM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P.
That snap half way through the first video is the fastest, most violent snap I have ever seen. Nice.
Yes, that snap was pretty tight

Not sure about the last song though
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Mar 03, 2007, 01:32 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
More Video !

Weathers still cold/windy/and dreary. Cant wait to get the Yak in the air this year .

Yak Video: Yak In Light and High Winds
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2007, 04:44 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Yak 54 Park Flying !

Had time to get some video of yak 54 this week. calm morning weather.. very relaxing to fly in.. even in a very confined flying area with trees everywhere .

Yak 54 Park Flying Video
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:22 PM
Paul Teesalu
Goleta, CA
Joined Aug 2006
253 Posts
Great review dude!
The park flying video is nice, I really like the blender at 3 minutes and 9 seconds of the clip.. Vertical on torque motor is amazing
ss2p is offline Find More Posts by ss2p
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:43 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Thanks, i was really taking it easy because the park is a little confined and i rarely used full throttle. The torque motors do perform well,ive flown the same set up in two other 3DHobbyShop planes.. once while testing some things one of the planes was well over 41 ounces and still had very good punch out from hover.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
I like the look of this plane , can you hand launch it? does it have a lot of glide , i normally like to trim my planes with the motor off by throwing it and seeing if it glides straight .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:22 PM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,084 Posts
Well, for starters this plane isn't sold by 3DHS any more. They discountinued it and are working on a V2 of the 47" Yak and have put pics here and there. I'm not sure if there was a release date yet, as they have some other projects that are coming out sooner (Vyper, Slick 42", Extra SC 40" and 103" - That's what I know of off the top of my head)....

Re: The hand take-off, someone else may have a better idea being it has been a while since I had my 3DHS Yak, but 3D planes (especially in this 47" size and up) aren't really meant for hand launches, but it can be handlaunched I guess. I did it several times, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Also, 3D planes aren't known for it's 'gliding', especially the Yak (In my opinion of the 3DHS Yak vs the Extra SHP or Velox). They will 'glide' somewhat with the power off, but not for long.

Hope that answers what you were looking for...
mattk0 is offline Find More Posts by mattk0
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
cuz im such a bad pilot when i lose control or stall and my plane starts to fall at lest theres one last thing that can save it is the glide .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1