HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Hi Dave:
Thanks for jumping in with your expertise and dealing with these questions. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:45 PM
"I Did It On Purpose"
San Diego
Joined Oct 2005
173 Posts
For all of you that are concerned about the price being so much more than the lama, I got my for $160 from http://www.myrcsupply.net/index.php?...oducts_id=4399

At the time they had a free shipping offer as well and so mine was only $60 more than the lama-- well worth the 2.4ghz radio, 5th channel, and parts carried at my LHS.
50ccRacer is offline Find More Posts by 50ccRacer
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:10 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Thanks for all the previous advice guys. I felt well armed from these discussions when I picked up my CX2 yesterday afternoon (first ever heli). Watched the main man fly the LHS display CX2 - up and down the shopping aisles, landing and t/o's from various shelves and packages - everybody stopped shopping to view the demo. He sold 6 before lunch and a whole lot more today -18 all told in 2 days, has another 18 coming plus a reorder of same number. That's just one LHS here.

Anyway, got home and had two hrs to set it up and read manual - (charged battery over 1hr 50min) & did the right thing to check controls and servo directions after removing cockpit and unplugging motors - but alas found that the actual Tx levers were interchanged with what the book said. On this one the throttle is the RHS and rudder (yaw) LHS lever with same as forward & back for elevator (?) control. Apparently the throttle lever side to side movement is for aerilon control (?). Throttle in book is the LH control stick. This was important because for the 4in1 to arm after plugging in the battery, the throttle and trim has to be at zero. Found out through trial and error (of course the throttle stick will come back and stay there whilst the elevator stick centralizes) - but first time flyer did not realise this. Got it all connected and properly armed - why so short a time to plug in and then set the chopper down so that the piezo gyro can properly register its position, if you put the wire end of the battery into the fuse first you'd never make it in the time frame. Needs a switch.

So, battery wires on outside, set it up on the lounge floor, reconnoitered for cat
presence, and pushed throttle stick forward. Skids were just trembling so, used yaw lever to swing nose left & right with no lift off. There was no drift at all with all the trims centralized.

Repacked the chopper, loaded up the foamy reserves and arrived at the cycling dome.

A guy came over to see the package ( I think he has been an OZ champion 3D exponent ) and I explained the control stick prob - he thought that the unit was a different mode (1 or 2) to those used by you guys in the US. Anyway we got the thing out on the flat and very slippery central area of the velodrome and proceeded to explore the flying bit.

Well, as a novice I cannot believe that this chopper is so stable to fly. The guys at Horizon seem to have done an incredible job in creating this machine, and I didn't have to worry about frequencies - just got out there and flew it.

First time I pushed the elevator stick forward the thing was already hovering an inch above the floor and it took off dead straight for the full length of the central pitch - about 100'. Stopped on a dime, yawed to reverse direction, went up a bit, then a bit more, came down fast, throttled up and it did a light bounce to recover to a 6 inch hover and raced back to me, stopped and landed. I let it idle, my mentor said "pretty good" so I shut down the rotors and dried my sweaty palms and finally breathed.

Flying this will make you forget everything else on your mind, better than fishing. Next trick is to cautiously explore controls at home and for the next flyin get the CX2 up to a decent height and orbit. Can't wait.

Again, thanks for all the info, sorry if this is a bit off thread.

PS: Can someone advise on this Mode 1 or 2 question - not in the manual.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:25 AM
President, RC Dusters
Sandwich, IL
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
If the throttle is on the RT stick then that is mode 1. Mode 2 (US) is left-stick throttle.
gfdengine204 is offline Find More Posts by gfdengine204
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:24 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Thanks 204, one of the OZ supplier sites quotes Modes 1 or 2 options for the CX2 but doesn't explain the diff.

I'll make the amendments to the manual.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:26 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Since finishing this review I have had a number of additional flights and can in a large room make some quick runs with fairly smooth fast turns in either direction. Avoid making the changes to sharply as that might cause the blades to strike. By watching them in the transition I have been able to get more aggressive with my fast turns while avoiding any strikes. My Blade remains as good as new with no damage to it. Did my first group demo flight earlier this week and could have sold a dozen to the adults present. I am now off to the AMA show. Horizon has some interesting products coming out airplane wise in the next few months: Electric Spitfire RTF. Large brushless powered Cub with 80" wingspan and some plug and play models of current ARFs. What a great time to be in this hobby! Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:56 PM
United States, MN, Bemidji
Joined May 2003
523 Posts
When ordering what upgrade and replacement parts would you recommend ?
Fred Sanford is online now Find More Posts by Fred Sanford
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:02 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Yes Mike, I think once word gets around that frequency clashes are essentially a thing of the past with the 2.4 Gig technology and highly stable bundled RTF heli models are available at great prices then lot more people will discover a new hobby.

Couple of questions - a second battery ready to go is a worthwhile addition but what is a rough cooldown time for the motors after a full flight (the consensus seems to be that flight times of around 12 minutes are possible without over discharging the LiPo pack)? I like the idea of a motor heatsink and another thread contributor suggests drilling some cooling holes in the canopy, any thoughts?

PS how do I attach a pic to these posts
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:52 AM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
I got a E-mail from Horizon. They said that "The transmitter will work with the
ar6100 but it has very limited range."

P.S. Sirion, Click on New Reply after the last post instead of using the quick reply. In the Additional Options box there is another box that says Attach Files. Click on the Manage Attachments box and follow the instructions.
eflightdude is offline Find More Posts by eflightdude
Old Jan 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
I have played around with this heli for a few weeks and now I am out of blades. I am pretty good at flying it, but I get bored inside and tried to fly outside in mild wind. The thing just takes off. I shorteded the flybar and it gets really interesting to fly. I make attempts to fly it around and through obstacles inside so I go through the blades pretty quick. All the parts are out of stock at all the LHS and my online orders are on backorder. (still waiting for aluminum upgrades from Horizon)
crashnhelis is offline Find More Posts by crashnhelis
Old Jan 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
President, RC Dusters
Sandwich, IL
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightdude
I got a E-mail from Horizon. They said that "The transmitter will work with the
ar6100 but it has very limited range."
If memory serves, the Transmitter model number is "LP5DSM", and the LP stands for Low Power. Not something you want to try and use for anything more than indoor use, generally.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 05:40 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdengine204
If memory serves, the Transmitter model number is "LP5DSM", and the LP stands for Low Power. Not something you want to try and use for anything more than indoor use, generally.
I've tried that outside. Keep the thing close.. it will run out range.. but just about the time it gets too small to see and control.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:06 PM
President, RC Dusters
Sandwich, IL
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
OK tonight I had the opportunity to fly in a gym. I noticed when I gave full forward cyclic, my CX2 would start moving forward, then stop. I thought I was low on battery power, so I changed packs and tried again; same result. Same thing with left/right and back cyclic. Had the training gear on. Servo linkages are all in the stock setup (closest holes). Normal, or no? Would I notice better control either by moving my linkages in, or by removing the training gear? Or should I be looking elsewhere for a problem?

On a positive note, got thru 3 packs with no damage and felt in control for a good portion of my flying time.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:39 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Thanks, "dude" for the attachment info,

Thought I'd show the thread our flying venue we're lucky enough to use monthly in the evenings for a couple of hours.

It's pretty big cycling speed dome and has that central green area with a very smooth finish used for launch/landings, with some of the foamies using the banked track around the outside to keep clear of the heli's and big 3D stuff, one of which you'll see in the air at 10 o'clock.

Models normally perform a standard LH circuit and most withdraw to let the 3D's do their stuff for 10-15 minutes at a time, although the other night there were about 18 in the circuit including 3D's and a couple of X-Twin "Sports" flyers which go forever on the lowest throttle and are kept up high out of the clutter

We pay A$10 to fly, (juniors A$5) and A$2 to watch I think. As soon as the few bikes finish training at 8pm and clear the track flying is on. Great atmosphere; lot of mutual help; lot of laughs; respectful group moans when a hard landing (read crash) causes a model disintegration; traffic peaks within a half hour but by 9.45pm only a few survivors still flying, or battery packs depleted,etc.

Another pic is of one of the helis in low hover plus the 3D traffic hazard (you learn to move outta the way when these guys are up ). I found that the smooth surface was a boon in learning to fly the CX2, because you can actually practice quite fast forward movement and heading changes without liftoff. The main trick is to remember the heli has forward (or backward) momentum and needs a bit of time to stop, unless expert, before hitting the boundary walling. Simply because of its size, the dome is more forgiving than the average lounge room.

Next time I'll have the extra battery packs for multiple flights, so fingers crossed will advance to more interesting manoevres in the future, but judging by comment from the experts a few spare blades will be a wise investment.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
[QUOTE=gfdengine204] Servo linkages are all in the stock setup (closest holes). Normal, or no? Would I notice better control either by moving my linkages in, or by removing the training gear? Or should I be looking elsewhere for a problem? QUOTE]

Be brave and remove the training gear and you will have a new heli!!! Plus move out one hole but beware if you fly outside as you may get blade strikes with rapid changes in direction
chem is offline Find More Posts by chem