Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 05, 2007, 01:11 AM
Joined Dec 2006
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Flyer
I've seen a Cx2 fly and I was unimpressed, especially considering I got my lama v3 for 99 out the door, the cx2 is 200 after taxes, and well doesn't look as cool...

Don't get me wrong I like the cx2 but I don't think its worth twice the price of a lama.
Have heard of many problems with Lamas, can't get parts, radios losing control and not very durable.(No first hand experience) My son has had several minor crashes with no damage, radio is totally glitch free and parts are readily available. Most important, E-flite/Horizon Hobby has GREAT support!

Scott
scottcp is offline Find More Posts by scottcp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2007, 01:44 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
I'll say this, i've tipped my heli over quite a few times, and the usual mainshaft that breaks on the cx, just snapps off on this heli, I LOVE IT, the blades bend back, it pops out...Two seconds back in the air and zero damage. Its just as stable as the cx, comes with extra blades and only 99 shipped.

The cx is a great heli, but for 190, I just couldn't justify twice the price.
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Jan 05, 2007, 11:45 AM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
The CX2 is my first heli and I think it flies great. I got mine for $205 w/tax from our local hobby shop. He didn't have any training gear so I just flew without them. I did my 4th flight this morning and for the first time started hovering with it facing me instead of facing away. The first time I flew it I only was hoving ~1 cm off the ground. However, on me 2nd flight I took it up to ~4 ft, for a couple seconds. I think it's a good beginner heli. If you have any questions just tell me.
eflightdude is offline Find More Posts by eflightdude
Old Jan 05, 2007, 12:29 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Z400Flyer - I'll agree on comparing an Orignal BCX and Lama V3, the lama is the better value..

but not so when compared to the BCX2, that is WAY better then the Lama I have, Now the Lama sits, and the BCX2 gets all the lipos!!!

I own an Esky Lama V3 and a BCX2, and they are NIGHT and DAY different, the regular BCX and Lama are close, but the BCX2 is in it's own league when compared to the Lama, and also the BCX2 is a 2.4 Ghz system with a CCPM radio...

the Lama is just basic FM with a 4 channel radio..So for the extra cash the BCX2 is well worth the money.

I can not say the same of the orignal BCX, the Lama was a better value.

As for flight response and Gyro dirft the BCX2 MUCH better then the lama V3 ever was.
2.4 Ghz system never a glitch, not so much as a twitch!

When my buddy came over to see the BCX2 he was amazed at how the BCX2 locked on and seems as if it has a HH gyro.

He tired the BCX2 and loved it, he never liked the Lama flight characteristics.

and I have to agree, the BCX2 seems to lock on and is very quick to resposed to stick input.

If you haven't tried a BCX2, then you should. I also thought the same at first, I figured it was going to be close to the Lama... Was I wrong...
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jan 05, 2007, 03:15 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
I understand the point of a better 2.4 Ghz Radio...I was unaware the BCx2 was using CCPM these days I will have to look into that, if its not then the radio isn't a selling point to me.

I like the bcx2, I just don't think its worth an additional 105$, imagine how many lipos and extra goodies I can get for my v3 for that amount.

Also I have tried the BCX2, first tip over and it snapped the stupid main shaft, my lama has tipped 3 times and all that happens is blades fold back, main shaft thing pops out and zero damage.
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Jan 05, 2007, 03:30 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Flyer
I understand the point of a better 2.4 Ghz Radio...I was unaware the BCx2 was using CCPM these days I will have to look into that, if its not then the radio isn't a selling point to me.
The CX2 is fixed-pitch, and the transmitter doesn't use CCPM when you pull it out of the box.

One of the DIP switches on the front panel of the TX turns on CCPM mode. If you had a spare Spektrum 7000 receiver you could use the TX on a CCPM helicopter in theory.

Not sure how you'd set the headspeed, though... I really gotta put this theory into practice on my Elite CP.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Jan 07, 2007, 01:10 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Could someone please confirm that the CX2 Rx is in fact an AR6100. If it is it solves a lot of probs for anyone wanting to fly an indoor micro with the CX2 radio gear (Tx) and maybe a DX7 later for outside (range). Leaving the CX2 intact and just buying another AR6100 with appropriate servos & ESC for a micro flyer would be ideal, saves a heap on a new DX7.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:16 PM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
I don't think it is as the rx is in a 4-in-1 unit, combining rx, ESC, mixer, and gyro.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:24 PM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
I wrote Horizon about the RX questions and will post when they reply.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:33 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
The CX-2 receiver has a two-deck installation.. the receiver part could be seperated ... The backside connections between the two boards would need to have pigtails soldered (not by me) to them to get to the receiver outputs for rudder and throttle.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2007, 02:54 PM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
I should get an e-mail from them in 24-48 hrs.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 10:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Hi,

For all practical purposes, the CX2 4in1 is an AR6100 with the header pins 'reconfigured' to mate it to a 3in1 daughterboard.
It is DSM2.
It WILL bind do a DX7 (in DSM2). It will not bind to a DX6 (which is DSM(1))

The LP5DSM tx is DSM2 (only) and is low power... range on the order of magnitude of 350 feet. You should be able to bind a retail AR6100 also.

FWIW, the DX7 can detect if present DSM2 and then Tx likewise... If it does not detect DSM2, it will broadcast DSM. In this way, it can support the AR6000.

The DX7 has quite a bit more power than the LP5DSM (which is LP (low power) for close in applications)

Daivd
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:46 AM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
Hi,

For all practical purposes, the CX2 4in1 is an AR6100 with the header pins 'reconfigured' to mate it to a 3in1 daughterboard.
It is DSM2.
It WILL bind do a DX7 (in DSM2). It will not bind to a DX6 (which is DSM(1))

The LP5DSM tx is DSM2 (only) and is low power... range on the order of magnitude of 350 feet. You should be able to bind a retail AR6100 also.

FWIW, the DX7 can detect if present DSM2 and then Tx likewise... If it does not detect DSM2, it will broadcast DSM. In this way, it can support the AR6000.

The DX7 has quite a bit more power than the LP5DSM (which is LP (low power) for close in applications)

Daivd
Thanks for the info.... must be a LONG day when you start typo-ing your own name.
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:54 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Dribbe: good info thanks, perhaps you could confirm CX2 range. In another thread the advice was that it got fuzzy at 200' and the range was in actual fact only 175'. No prob indoors but outside a bit ambitious. The guy had two failures at that range, the first in a tree, then hard dirt.

Also using the LP5DSM Tx with a 6100 for a parky, what would you estimate the range as there, the same because of the CX2Tx low power or would the 6100 sensitivity push it up a bit?

I guess the whole idea is to use either the CX2 Rx or its Tx in a dual role - the first option looks difficult because of necessary mods but the rest of us are hoping that the CX2 Tx would be adequate, especially now as the range issue has arisen, to then use that Tx in combo with a 6100 for a parky or indoor micro - saves buying a DX7 at this stage. The big draw is the 2.4 Ghz tech and hopefully zero interference/frequency clashes with other flyers at a party meet. Where I fly we have about a 2hr window period an evening a month and there are already too many in the 36 & 27 Mhz bands to get many flights in. Where time restricted like this, using the CX2 Tx first to fly the heli to depletion and then using the Tx for a charged up 6100 equipped micro flyer is a big attraction. Sure another battery pack would allow continuance with the heli but it's nice to have variety especially if the heli has a hard landing. Boffins might call it the practice of "redundancy and diversity".

Sorry if this is all a bit repetitious, just trying to nail down the options before parting with the green stuff.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Hi,
I did.....
------------------------------
----------------------------------
Range can vary a lot depending on many factors. I wouldn't put the product on the ground at that range, but 5 feet high, it should be fine. Officially, we make no claim, but that is our experience.

Many average pilots can easily keep a 3D or Cruiser foamy within 250 feet.

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor