HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:23 AM
Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2002
138 Posts
Dx 6

Can my DX6 transmitter be used to fly the new Blade CX2? I also have several
A6000 receivers, can they be used with the CX2 transmitter?
Thanks
Bob
bobsan is offline Find More Posts by bobsan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:40 AM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
Bob,

No and No.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:57 PM
EEC
That should do it, oops
NW Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
174 Posts
I've been messing around with cx2 for about a month as my first helichopper. I found it to be very tough, surviving several hard landings, tumbling down the stairway, and just falling out of the sky when I freaked too close to the chandelier. I've replaced 8 or so individual blades and not had any related damage due to the non-pivoting blades the author was concerned about. I did spend a bit of time trimming in. I had to twist the pot to keep it straight, and raise the foreward swashplate servo link to keep it out of reverse all the time. After about five battery packs I was flying down the hall, up the stairs, and landing on the back of the couch. When the pack is about 3.2v, the cx2 won't hover more than 2 inches so you and the battery are done after about 12 minutes. As a first helicopter I do recommend the pingpong ball training gear. I never came close to tipping over, but they are just long enough to help protect the rotors when you drift to close to the wall, curtains, or table leg. For kicks I've got a mini wireless video mounted between the landing gear. Next comes a led spotlight with police body and maybe a lift winch run off ch5. Fun little first chopper.
EEC is offline Find More Posts by EEC
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:29 AM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2001
534 Posts
To clarify, the CX2 pack voltage should not be allowed to go below 6 volts or 3 volts per cell. To discharge the pack to 3.2 volts will shorten the life of the battery pack. My CX2 will easily still hover at just over half stick when the pack voltage is down to 6.0 volts. I advise against flying until the CX2 can't hover - with mine the pack would be seriously overdischarged.

Because its so easy to fly these heli's into overdischarge, I think its a good idea to use some kind of indicator. I made a simple indicator with a zener diode, resistor and LED. There are comercially available devices for this purpose.
Rob Hair is offline Find More Posts by Rob Hair
Old Dec 28, 2006, 06:46 AM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEC
For kicks I've got a mini wireless video mounted between the landing gear. Next comes a led spotlight with police body and maybe a lift winch run off ch5.
What mini wireless video are you using and where did you purchase it?

Also, have you located a lLED spotlight, as I just purchased and installed the police fuse?
bryadelm is offline Find More Posts by bryadelm
Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:22 AM
President, RC Dusters
Sandwich, IL
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hair
To clarify, the CX2 pack voltage should not be allowed to go below 6 volts or 3 volts per cell. To discharge the pack to 3.2 volts will shorten the life of the battery pack. My CX2 will easily still hover at just over half stick when the pack voltage is down to 6.0 volts. I advise against flying until the CX2 can't hover - with mine the pack would be seriously overdischarged.

Because its so easy to fly these heli's into overdischarge, I think its a good idea to use some kind of indicator. I made a simple indicator with a zener diode, resistor and LED. There are comercially available devices for this purpose.

Rob,

About how long do your flights go 'til you hit critical voltage? Also, do you know of any reputable retailers that sell the low-volt indicator?

Thanks!
gfdengine204 is offline Find More Posts by gfdengine204
Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2001
534 Posts
Sorry, I haven't actually timed any of my flights, but I'd estimate that I'm getting close to 10 miuntes of hover.

I recall that there have been low voltage indicator devices offered for sale, but I can't remember where. I did a quick search and found these:

http://lightflightrc.com/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=221018&pp=15

Having not used either, I can't make a recommendation.

The device that I made was just quickly put together and doesn't have a very abrupt change of state. I may make a better version with a small PCB. If I do I'll make a post describing it. An alternative would be to measure the battery voltage every minute of flight (you should measure the battery under the same load as when flying) to determine how long you can safely fly.

Its a shame that Horizon didn't incorporate some type of indicator into the 4in1, since I have found that its very easy to fly the CX2 well below 6 volts.
Rob Hair is offline Find More Posts by Rob Hair
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:36 PM
Flying at You Crazy Fast!
Joined Nov 2005
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh
Bob,

No and No.
I wonder why they didn't make it compatible?
rcnyc78 is offline Find More Posts by rcnyc78
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:47 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
The radio that comes with the blade CX2, is an updated 2.4Ghz system, the DX6 is the first generation 2.4Ghz system. The newer radio works differently enough to make them not compatable with the DX6

The new radios have improved range and are now rated for larger nitro models, and the frame set are faster, so the radio / servo response is faster compared to the DX6.

That is why the new 2.4Ghz RX's will not work with the older DX6.

----

Whenever the battery flight time starts to drop off and the chopper is in good shape, it is 99.9% the lipo is just starting to die.

I have some lipos that have lasted longer then others, I never abuse them and I have a balance charger to keep the cells within spec.

Most companies just give you the min rated lipo for the setup they sell, and the blade lipo is not that great. It is only rated at 10C and that is not that great now days most lipos are 15C or better.

When looking for a replacement keep in mind the higher the C rating the better the cells, and that in turn makes the lipo last longer.

If you are flying a chopper that is drawing 8 amps and you are using a 10Amp max rated lipo, that is still close to it's rating and it will degrade the lipo quicker then a lipo that is rated for 15amps and you are only drawing 8 amps.

I have a Lama V3 and a BCX2 and hands down the BCX2 is a better flying chopper with crisp controls. I like both, but if you are looking for a great all around chopper the BCX2 has to be consider.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Last edited by HoverDown3K; Dec 29, 2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:09 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
I've seen a Cx2 fly and I was unimpressed, especially considering I got my lama v3 for 99 out the door, the cx2 is 200 after taxes, and well doesn't look as cool...

Don't get me wrong I like the cx2 but I don't think its worth twice the price of a lama.
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:13 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
...in another thread it was stated that the range of this transmitter is not great enough to fly a plane with....this info was quoted to have come from Horizon. A guy was able to use his DX7 Tx to fly the CX2 and was selling the CX2 Tx for $50. so the question was raised about using it in a plane. A small plane kept close in, maybe.

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:13 PM
#include <rcstuff.h>
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Jan 2006
691 Posts
Quote:
I've seen a Cx2 fly and I was unimpressed...
Z400Flyer,

So you have not actually flown a CX2 yourself?

Check out this video: Video of Blade CX2 flying outside

If you weren't impressed, I suspect it's either due to the pilot (with all due respect) or the fact that that specific CX2 was probably not set up correctly.

Regards, RH../
Redherring is offline Find More Posts by Redherring
Old Dec 31, 2006, 06:22 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
With reference to post 28 above, I discovered that the reason my upper and lower blades kept hitting each other was because of a broken blade pin on the upper inner shaft that allowed the upper blades to teeter too much. I reccommend to anyone thinking of buying or who owns one of these copters, to upgrade to the aluminum inner shaft from the start, part number EFLH1240, as this seems to be a weak point for this model. It is very easy to change this part out and will save you the hassle I had of constantly replacing blades. Other than that I am still enjoying flying mine very much!!
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Jan 01, 2007, 09:28 AM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcneal
With reference to post 28 above, I discovered that the reason my upper and lower blades kept hitting each other was because of a broken blade pin on the upper inner shaft that allowed the upper blades to teeter too much. I reccommend ...to upgrade to the aluminum inner shaft from the start, part number EFLH1240, as this seems to be a weak point for this model.
I agree that it is a major weak point! I upgraded to the EFLH1240 Inner Shaft w/ALUM Head/Hub BCX. I also have a custom CNC lower rotor head. However, I still had a major crash with my new police body due to the upper and lower blades hitting each other while flying a high speed (relatively) circle. The plastic blades are too flexible for this type of flying.

To get up any speed with the CX2 outdoors with <5 mph wind, you need to be flying sideways, not forward. I do not recommend doing this, as you will likely have blades hitting and crash, like I did. Stay to low speed simple flying patterns outdoors and hovering indoors with the CX2.

I have over reached the flying capability for the CX2 and am searching for my 2nd helicopter.
bryadelm is offline Find More Posts by bryadelm
Old Jan 05, 2007, 12:39 AM
Joined Dec 2006
6 Posts
Just had to tell everybody how awesome the CX2 is. My son (11 years old) got one for Christmas. I was a little concerned it would be to hard for him to fly and would lose interest. Boy was I wrong! By the third battery he had it trimmed and was hovering as good as the guy at the hobby shop (without training gear). Now he can't wait to fly my CP Pro which I haven't been able to attempt to fly/crash, because of a bad receiver and not enough time on the FS One sim that Santa brought us. By the way, one call to Horizon Hobby customer support, had a new Rx in three days! Also have great website for FS One assistance. BEST customer support from Any company I have ever dealt with.
Scott
scottcp is offline Find More Posts by scottcp