HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:40 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,241 Posts
Great review!
I just got mine yesterday and have been having a blast flying all over the room, landing on skyscrapers (tabletops), and chasing the cat (just kidding) ;-)
I had to adjust the gain trimmer on mine down slightly to get rid of a little tail wiggle, but other than that it flew great right out of the box. I got the police body for mine and it was a little difficult to swap bodies, but not too bad. I also got the motor heat sink for mine and installed it after the first flight and I'm glad I did because they do get very warm. That cheap investment will make the motors last longer. It was quite difficult to install the heat sink. I had to loosen the motors from their mounting so I could get it to fit in between the motors and the rotor shaft. I'm thinking of cutting some tiny air holes in the canopy just above the heat sink for better cooling airflow.
The only thing I wish about this helicopter is that it would move forward faster for better wind penetration. Even if you hold the cyclic stick full forward the helicopters' natural stability wont let it go very fast. Good for indoor ops and beginners, but not outdoors.
All in all I'm very pleased with the BCX2. It is a lot of fun to fly!!!
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:44 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Thumbs
Wonder if Horizon will ever unbundle the TX so you could buy a DX7 TX and use it instead?
That would be awesome.......
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2006, 03:30 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,206 Posts
Moving the pitch servo pushrod out two holes on the arm enhances wind penetration.
But then the indoor manuvering suffers, not enough "back stick" to get back from obstacles.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:22 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Woohoo! Nose-in hover!

This thing is a joy to fly.

I bought a Corona years ago (around when I registered here), and never really got the hang of anything besides tail-in hover. I tinkered for a while, then moved to planes.

Even when I bought the CX2, I initially could only tail-in and side-in hover.

Last night I fabricated a USB controller and got about an hour's time on a simulated heli. I managed nose-in hovering and was doing (ugly) circuits of the field after about 15 minutes. None of it was pretty, but I was doing it, and not crashing much.

Today, I picked up the CX2, took off tail-in, and spun the tail around to face myself for the first time ever. It wasn't pretty, but it worked and I was hovering. Then I did lazy circuits of my "flying space" until the battery died just a couple of minutes ago.

The CX2 is actually easier than the simulator!

Kudos to E-flite for a fun helicopter that's more than a toy.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:27 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
Moving the pitch servo pushrod out two holes on the arm enhances wind penetration.
But then the indoor manuvering suffers, not enough "back stick" to get back from obstacles.
How much is the head speed increased? Also would it be easyer to get away from obsticles if the flybar was slightly shorter (more responcive).
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Great videos and write up! I get mine from Santa in a few days! Another question... can this radio be used with any of the flight sims out there?
Nailz is offline Find More Posts by Nailz
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:22 PM
United States, NY, Lake Grove
Joined Mar 2006
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
How much is the head speed increased? Also would it be easyer to get away from obsticles if the flybar was slightly shorter (more responcive).
The headspeed doesn't increase, the deflection of the swash increases, causing increase in angle of attack (tilt) of the lower rotors. The end result is better wind penetration and much faster FFF. The trade off is a little less stability and lots of blade clashes if you are hard with the sticks.

Nunu
NuNuJet is offline Find More Posts by NuNuJet
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:55 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
This doesn't increase the headspeed, it increases the amount the lower blade can move in the forward direction.
The easiest way to get away from obstacles is to identify them before flying, then don't into them.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:24 PM
President, RC Dusters
Sandwich, IL
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
I just got a DX-7, and this heli is on its way. Any idea if I can bind the DX-7 to the BCX2?
gfdengine204 is offline Find More Posts by gfdengine204
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:44 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdengine204
I just got a DX-7, and this heli is on its way. Any idea if I can bind the DX-7 to the BCX2?
No idea if you can but it can be done.

Unplug both motors from the 4-n-1 receiver (be sure to note where both plugs went and the polarity) then bind it to the DX7. Turn off the receiver and remove the binding plug.

Just use an aircraft setting and get the servo reversing switches set to move everything in the correct direction.

After all of the control movements match the directions that the manual says they should move for a given stick input you can add dual rates and expo to taste. Finally plug the motors back in and fly. After you get the copter trimmed, you can rebind to establish the failsafe positions.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Last edited by gwh; Dec 22, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:12 PM
Joined May 2006
2 Posts
Couple of questions:
1) I'm debating between the CX2 for around $190, or the CoCo Lama on closeout for around $120 as a first helicopter. Is there a significant difference in flight characteristics between these 2, or would people with experience on the Lama recommend the CX2 as being significantly better?
2) Is there a training port on the Spektrum transmitter that allows it to me used with FMS simulation software?

tnx,

George
hudog is offline Find More Posts by hudog
Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:11 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Mar 2006
261 Posts
I have broken enough blades, skids, and one body to finally achieve hovering and basic flight patterns with my eFlite Blade CX2.

Has anyone located add-ons for 5th Channel with eFlite Blade CX2 Spectrum Tx to provide lighting, releasing objects or other features using the extra connections on the 4-in-1 Rx?
bryadelm is offline Find More Posts by bryadelm
Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:13 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,241 Posts
I was flying mine outdoors yesterday when I managed to get it up to quite a good speed. All was fine until I turned it into the slight breeze that was present. Next thing I knew the upper and lower blades were smashing into each other and shattering. Down she fell from about 30 feet up and landed hard on the pavement. Aside from the smashed forward fuselage and the blades being damaged she suffered no other ill effects. (correction: see post 43) I have ordered a new front fuselage and more blades. She will fly again, although I will be more careful to fly much slower when ther is ANY hint of any wind.

I guess this truly is a beginners Helo and ideally suited for what it is designed to do, hover around slowly indoors, but my next helo will be more suited to my flying style.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Last edited by wmcneal; Dec 31, 2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:19 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudog
Couple of questions:
1) I'm debating between the CX2 for around $190, or the CoCo Lama on closeout for around $120 as a first helicopter. Is there a significant difference in flight characteristics between these 2, or would people with experience on the Lama recommend the CX2 as being significantly better?
2) Is there a training port on the Spektrum transmitter that allows it to me used with FMS simulation software?

tnx,

George
I will be able to answer this question in a few days. I have a Co-Co Lama V3, and Mrs. Santa brought me a BCX2 . I have not tried it yet.

The Lama is a very nice heli, and it is a bargain. You can get it even cheaper here:

http://www.bestdu.com/home.php?cat=252

I got mine from Hobby-Lobby during a crash sale for $100. The only complain I have is the battery and/or the charger. At about the 10th charge/discharge cycle the battery puffed up. I had to destroy it. It is still resting in salt water! Other than that, it is a fine product. I can hover, forward and backward fly and do precision landing (most of the time ). It handles gentle breeze. I was able to fly it around at my backyard. I am expecting the BCX2 to be even better.

ATAC
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:02 AM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
I have a dx7 can the blade cx2 be purchased w/o the tx?

Can one be pieced together from replacement parts? Is that worth it cost wise?

I really dont need the Tx as i have a dx6 and dx7.
mcharles13 is offline Find More Posts by mcharles13