HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:39 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Using Acetone as a CA debonder?

I've read that you can use acetone to get CA off of your fingers or get your fingers apart in a worst case scenario. (No, that is not personal experience btw) And was wondering how this would work on blasa? Any damage to the wood? Heck, any better suggestions?
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:06 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
About the only way acetone would "harm" balsa (change might be a better word) would be by expansion or raising the grain, same as any wetting agent might. If it's been painted, of course that would likely suffer also. Yep, acetone will remove CA, but sometimes you have to keep at it by applying, rubbing, repeat same. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:42 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Just did an unscientific experiment and it would appear that controlled force is actually better on the wood than using acetone. The subject was two pieces of 1/8" liteply butt joined at the laser cut edges with a 1/16" spruce on the back across the seam. On one side I used acetone applied witha syringe and used a knife with a #11 blace to gently pry apart. It seemed to work fairly well at softening the butt joined edges although this resulted in some splitting of the spruce. On the other side I just used the #11 blade in a rocking motion and used the acetone on the butt joined edges and this resulted in almost no damage. Another modeling lesson learned!
I will give the wood a day to dry out before regluing in the correct configuration.
My apologies for posting a question and then answering it also.

Thanks for the reply Fumblethumbs
Old Sep 11, 2002, 01:27 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Two good tricks to de-bonding a CA'd joint;

Hot water bath - now for balsa this isn't quite a viable alternative.
Applied heat - Using a hairdryer, covering iron, etc. apply heat to the joint. At around 160F the CA should soften up enough to allow for an easy release.

Regards,
Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Sep 11, 2002, 06:34 AM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I will try the heat trick on my next mistake. Should be soon knowing me
I need to stop building so late at night, that might help also.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 06:13 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Just don't use heat to debond CA on carbon fiber rods and tubes, as heat also degrades CF.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Sep 11, 2002, 06:17 PM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Pure nitromethane is the best solvent for cured Cya....try it!
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Sep 12, 2002, 01:32 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hederich
Just don't use heat to debond CA on carbon fiber rods and tubes, as heat also degrades CF.
As long as the applied heat does not exceed the Tg of the epoxy system used then you will be okay. Typically, applying heat in the neighborhood up to 160F will soften the CA bond but, to a lesser degree soften the epoxy system.

CF WILL NOT be damaged at this temperature, now if you used a blow torch...

Regards,
Roger
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:52 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
A blow torch isn't needed to damage CF. There have been several reports here of people weakening CF rods when using heat guns on coverings. For the average person, using heat to de-bond CA on CF would be risky at best. Using acetone is much less risky.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 01:06 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hederich
A blow torch isn't needed to damage CF. There have been several reports here of people weakening CF rods when using heat guns on coverings. For the average person, using heat to de-bond CA on CF would be risky at best. Using acetone is much less risky.
Hi Dave,

Yes using too much heat would be risky but as I've mentioned one only needs to apply UP TO 160F , using a heat gun would easily exceed that temperature in a matter of seconds. At that point yes you would damage (but not carbon fiber) the adhesive which binds the 'CF tows' together.

Notice I mentioned/recommended a hair dryer or Hot Water? Water in itself works well as CA does absorb moisture rather well thus speeding up the process of releasing it from a substrate.

Regards,
Roger
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:09 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Roger, yes, it's possible by using a thermometer to heat water up to exactly 160 degrees, and then dip CF rods or tubes into it in order to release the CA. This would at least be more controlable than a hair dryer, which may or may not exceed 160 degrees, depending on the setting and distance from the CF. However, using acetone would require a lot less effort. While all of these methods would produce similar results if performed correctly, I suspect that the majority of people would opt for the ease of simply applying a drop or two of acetone.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2004
11 Posts
Acetone to clear tips

For several years I have been using Acetone to clear the tip's that plugs on to the CA BOTTLES. I put some in a glass jar with a cover, and leave it over night, it works like charm
mrohm1
mrohm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrohm1