HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:56 PM
Troutdale, Oregon, United States
Joined Oct 2003
288 Posts
Discussion
6 bladed prop

Well, here I go again, looking for the impossible. Has anyone ever made their own? Could 2 -3 blades props be combined? I am open to any and all ideas but am deadly serious on finding a solution.
peter
peterpont is offline Find More Posts by peterpont
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:17 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,507 Posts
Its deffinately possible, one recently in groups posted but i cant remember who
but it does require building a accurate jig to mill saw the correct angles when cutting up the hubs of the props then they were clamped together using 2 turned lipped washers that were notched around the circumference for the blades to poke through so the prop hub was completly encapsulated.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:28 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,076 Posts
You are modifing the crap out of a safe 2 props by leaving sharp edges that can shatter without any warning at any rpm.

Non running, fine.

Flying, your lawsuit at a flying field.

Can you balance it for running balance ?

EDIT.

What plane used 6 bladed props ?
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:35 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,507 Posts
OK so your a nay sayer that still does not say it cant be done safely,no rpm figure has been discussed,vario prop seem to do it ok with 4 blades.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:08 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpont
Well, here I go again, looking for the impossible. Has anyone ever made their own? Could 2 -3 blades props be combined? I am open to any and all ideas but am deadly serious on finding a solution.
peter
Sure. I've designed lots pf props to make yourself..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585380

I guess I could do a 6 blader if you asked me nicely..

Hub area would be the tricky bit..Also RPm would be a tricky thing..if you go low enough its safe.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:12 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
Its definitely possible, one recently in groups posted but i cant remember who
Lynxman? Starting at post #312 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=propeller

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:22 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
Some big turboprops. The newer Hercules variants certainly have them.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:40 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
The hub is the problem... you could use varioprop blades, or perhaps heli tail blades.

ATR airliners have 6-bladers, as well as the hercs.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:46 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,698 Posts
An all wood solution is possible..if the power levels are not too high...which they will not be if its a true scale prop. Generally you end up with pretty low RPM and pretty coarse pitch.

Milling up a varioprop type hub in metal is quite an undertaking..
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:58 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
True... however, a hexagonal core block to which you could screw six T-Rex tail blade grips wouldn't be too bad, nor would the fitting to do the job of the 'rex's pitch slider.

And since a T-Rex tail does 19000 RPM stock, it's going to be pretty strong even if you use the plastic grips. I think it's a runner, but you'd only get something like a 6" diameter. Motocalc tells me a 6 blade 6x4 takes around 400W at 15000 RPM and creates a kilogramme of thrust; not shabby performance.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 04:26 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,698 Posts
Oh..6" is not an issue..I was assuming it as 10-12" diameter..I wouldn't want to run that much over 5000..
Old Dec 12, 2006, 04:31 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Well, for bigger you'd want to do the same thing, but with T-Rex 600 or Raptor blade grips. Really big, I guess you could use main blade grips... but that's getting silly, you'd need 2500W to turn a 6-blade heli head using 325mm blades...
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:38 PM
Troutdale, Oregon, United States
Joined Oct 2003
288 Posts
6 blade prop

WoW! Great response from knowledgable people. I am in the process of building a 5% replica of the Dehavillan dash 8 Q400 (402) I am antiscipating a prop length of between 8 and 10 inches. I plan to gear for a lower rpm and may use additional forces to add to the torque and thrust of the plane. I have to work out the weight issue as well as the wing loading as these planes(commercial turbo-props ) had a very narrow wing.
What compromises I will have to make along the way will determine the use of a scale prop (6 rather unique blades).
thanks again to all and please keep following this thread and add to it when you feel a need.
peterpont
peterpont is offline Find More Posts by peterpont
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:37 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
<snip>

How about this one.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:04 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Well, one possible advantage of the heli tail grips idea is that you could do variable pitch, which could save quite a bit of power getting enough thrust for takeoff.

So, I ran the numbers on a 5% Q400.

I assumed a 1.42m wingspan, 15.77dm^2 wing area, and 1950g all-up weight.

It seems if you use T-Rex 600 tail grips and blades to make 9.45x9 6-blade props, and you use something like a pair of Hyperion Z3025-12s direct drive on 3s2p 1800mAh lipo (or one 3s 1800 pack per motor, equivalently), you get a plausible model. It will probably need flaps, with a 13.1m/s (47kph, 29mph) stall speed clean, but it'll fly around for about half an hour at optimum cruise (4.5 minutes WOT), and top out at around 30m/s (108kph, or 67mph). Sounds nice to me.

However, variable pitch would be a big win; by going VP with a range from 6" to 13", you could probably ditch half the battery capacity, drop the stall speed to 12.5m/s, and at the same time increase the top speed by 20%... and still keep 22 minutes of duration. You'd also get the option of a bit of reverse pitch for braking, and even the ability to make the cool pitch-sweep sound big turboprops make as they do their taxi checks.