HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Discussion
any non crashable planes?

so i got my su-27 shock flyer. built it in 3 days making sure i did it all right. balanced the thing so damn well it was amazing. control throws were perfect. today a nice 55* no clouds no wind. i go to a local parking lot near my apartment. its a commuter lot so after 4 its pretty empty. as i take flight im so excited to be flying again with something nice and small. then a box truck cuts thru the lot real quick and down my plane goes in a gust from the truck passing. least i had it for 2 minutes.
uugg
flyboy367 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy367
Last edited by flyboy367; Dec 11, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a su-27 shock flyer?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:02 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy367
so i got my su-27 shock flyer. built it in 3 days making sure i did it all right. balanced the thing so damn well it was amazing. control throws were perfect. today a nice 55* no clouds no wind. i go to a local parking lot near my apartment. its a commuter lot so after 4 its pretty empty. as i take flight im so excited to be flying again with something nice and small. then a box truck cuts thru the lot real quick and down my plane goes in a gust from the truck passing. least i had it for 2 minutes.
uugg

One word... ZAGI
sdueck is online now Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:14 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,949 Posts
Non crashable planes? No such thing. All planes crash and they all break if you crash them hard or often enough. The trick is finding the ones that break into big pieces which are easy to glue back together.

As in EPP planes.

Many EPP planes don't fly worth a darn but some do. Take the Hacker Super Zoom for example (hint, hint).

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
zagi does crash ask thermlin' then it got ultra coated

so do eflite cessna 182s ask me today... hehe stupid stupid thumbs.... o well only cracked the cowl broke motor mount again and shattered the prop...

there are two types of models...

those that havent flown
and those that have crashed

so if you want an uncrashable model dont fly it

duh

but whats the point of that

just go to local store and by a revell plastic airplane model and glue it together alot cheaper for the same effect
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:36 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Agreed. Make your choice: do you want a model, or do you want a flying model? Without instruction from someone who can fly, ANY airplane will crash, model or fullsize. Go out to the airport, and pick an easy-flying aircraft like a Cessna 150, jump in, and teach yourself to fly; before youi take off, kiss your butt goodbye...

Models are the same, just some are mor repairable than others, some bounce better than others, but expect to crash. If you can't handle the failure, then follow paintz2007's advice, and join IPMS.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:40 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,091 Posts
SuperFly of course! That's a easy one.

http://www.superflyrc.com/SF_Frames....me=SF_Home.asp
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:47 PM
san jose ,CA
Joined Jun 2004
541 Posts
chect the vid of the super fly smking into the fence at high speeds. it rocks
rumplestilskin is offline Find More Posts by rumplestilskin
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:02 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
Mini IFO & Unicorn

(It's all about having fun)
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:29 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
A slow to medium speed EPP flying Wing is best, but after teaching RC on Slow Sticks, Pico Sticks, Sky Scooters and some EPP planes, I realized the Wings were just a bit too twitchie. So I came up with a twin boom set-up on a Slofly Wing. It flew great. I could fly it into a 2 car garage and out on a windless day, or fly it in 15mph winds and it would go stright up vertical till out of sight. It would loop and turn in slow flight, in 6ft and it bounces of trees, poles, cars etc. But Slofly didn't make that slow wing any more so after experimenting, I built one out of a Wild Wing with a IPS motor. It flys slow enough to run and catch and loop at 50% power. Plus it bounces off most things and if the nose breaks, it can be glued in seconds. Check it out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:36 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
PCW= pocket combat wing
Its a tough plane(wing) but not a good beginner plane.

I fly mine into things for fun!!!

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:33 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck
One word... ZAGI
DING DING DING!! It's true. Maybe a Unicorn Wing with a NiMH pack, as LiPos don't take the hits as well as the airframe.

You'll need quite a bit more room to fly in than a parking lot though.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Dec 12, 2006, 08:16 AM
Monument Colorado
Joined Oct 2006
83 Posts
There are two kinds of planes. Ones that have crashed and ones that will crash.
brucebuck is offline Find More Posts by brucebuck
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:49 AM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
One of my favorite sayings (and I saw it here...) is that there is an expiration date on every plane - however, unlike a carton of milk, it's not printed on the outside! Sometimes it's a couple years, sometimes it's a couple seconds. Don't let it get to you!

I scratchbuilt a 24" su27 shocky, and my son dropped it on a wing before it even got a chance to fly. Stuff happens.

Repairs can be done pretty easily (although they might not look that great) with lo-temp hot glue, or if necessary just get a sheet of sturdyboard and cut your replacement parts. Good luck!
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
Hey now,
While it's true there's no such thing as an uncrashable model there are those that take it better than others.
The IFO, EPP wings, and others like those do tend to survive more crashes than many models, shockies especialy.

IFOs have their limits, wind being a biggie. Wings although cool, don't fly in such confined spaces as parking lots.

Prolly your best bet would be to move into Fan Fold Foam.
A sharp X-acto knife, some foam safe Ca, a few carbon rods/tubes, and a little thought will get you a fun to fly model that costs little and is quick and easy to replace when (not if) you crash it.

I like the $20 Yak Hobby Lobby sells, you can recreate it from templates in twenty minutes for about a buck and a half. You could double the size of your shockie "jet" just as easily, or go to the scratch build foam forum here and find dozens if not hundreds of nifty looking good flying designs you can build quickly.

Yes, it'll still crash. Yes, it'll get torn up. So what? Pull the gear out, cut a new one and fly the next day. For that, when you cut one out, cut two or three, build them up, and when you're ready just dump the avionics in them.

I figure your choices are these:

1) Quit flying (not an option really )
2) Build to crash (doing this pretty much makes sure you will crash, it makes for heavy un-fun models that don't fly well at all.).
3) Cry everytime you smash up an expensive kit/ARF and spend *lots* of cash on new models weekly.
4) Build cheap, easy to replace models with low emotional investment, build a lot of them, swap gear, and keep flying.

RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck