SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:16 PM
Joined Nov 2006
37 Posts
Discussion
My issue with my remote

I am using a Scorpion hydroplane and i think there is a problem with the remote or something. When I have the little slider for the throttle all the way at the bottom and move the actual control, it turns on below the center point. I'm no expert but, isn't the slider supposed to control the sensitivity so that when you have it at it's lowest then it will just decrease the sensitivity? Not have it go below or something.

Also on the same control.. when I move the rudder sensitivity all the way to the right, the rudder is centered and while it is at the full right position I then move the control to the right and it doesn't go all the way to the right as it does go all the way to the left.

This is how it is out of the box.

Any help would be much appreciative. Thanks
OblivionLord is offline Find More Posts by OblivionLord
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:24 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
The sliders (trims) on the controls adjust the control positions... not the sensitivity.
For the throttle, the trim is used to set a cut-off point for the motor. IC motors usually the position is 1/2 way up on the trim motion for the lowest idle with the throttle all the way down.
Pulling the trim all the way down then shuts off the motor.
With electrics this isn't that big a deal.
For the control surfaces, the surface should move the same amount each side of neutral, and the trim should move the same equal amounts.
If this doesn't happen, then possibly the servo arm isn't on the servo at the correct orientation with the pushrod to the surface.
Set the trim at neutral, remove the control arm from the servo, and turn the radio on.
This electrically centers the servo. Then attach the servo arm to the servo, with the pushrod coming off it at 90 degrees, back to the surface. Like this..
The control surface should then move equally to either side.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:30 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,004 Posts
Just to add to Paul's explanation:

The off-center may also be due to the control rod being adjusted the wrong length. So when you've got the servo centered like Paul shows, you may then need to adjust its connection to the rudder so that the rudder itself is also centered. Usually there's some kind of screw adjuster at the rudder end or at the servo end of the pushrod.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
Joined Nov 2006
37 Posts
"For the throttle, the trim is used to set a cut-off point for the motor. IC motors usually the position is 1/2 way up on the trim motion for the lowest idle with the throttle all the way down.
Pulling the trim all the way down then shuts off the motor."

So it is normal for the slider to be at the half way point while the motor is turning a little?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:19 AM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OblivionLord
"For the throttle, the trim is used to set a cut-off point for the motor. IC motors usually the position is 1/2 way up on the trim motion for the lowest idle with the throttle all the way down.
Pulling the trim all the way down then shuts off the motor."

So it is normal for the slider to be at the half way point while the motor is turning a little?
That would be normal for a liquid fueled motor. For an electric it would be more normal for the motor to be stopped if the throttle is off and the trim is centered.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
37 Posts
Well I'm running an electric and with the trim set to the center it is running. So how do you calibrate that?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
A good quality ESC would automatically calibrate for that and it wouldn't be a problem. A computer TX can be adjusted with sub trims or other programming features. I am assuming you have neither one, so just sliding the throttle trim to the bottom is probably the best fix.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
37 Posts
it is very annoying when the slider is at the bottom for the throttle... just a slight touch of the throttle and it starts to go. When you put the throttle near the max and at the max it doesn't go any faster than max speed.

Could I perhaps take my remote to a hobby store and see if they can calibrate it or something?

It is a 4CH FT06-B remote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:35 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
For electrics, the trim is usually ignored, and the motor controlled by the throttle stick.
Some ESCs have the capability of shutting off the motor with a braking action, which will stop a propellor from windmilling in gliding flight.
There's really no reason to do this for a boat.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2006
37 Posts
well i calibrated the arm on the servo and the damn thing wont go in a straight line. Whats worse is that when i do adjust the trim so it can go in a straight line, it wont turn as hard to the right as it does to the left. The rotor at the back looks to move just as far to the left as it does to the right so i am deeply confused here.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 04:32 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OblivionLord
well i calibrated the arm on the servo and the damn thing wont go in a straight line. Whats worse is that when i do adjust the trim so it can go in a straight line, it wont turn as hard to the right as it does to the left. The rotor at the back looks to move just as far to the left as it does to the right so i am deeply confused here.
The model may have a tendancy to turn left due to the torque of the propellor. In aircraft we often set the motor up so that it's pointed slightly right to counteract that I'm not sure how it works with boats, but it may be that when you've got the servos centered like in Sparky Paul's diagram, you then need to adjust the connection between the servo and the rudder so that the rudder is slightly off to the right when its servo is centered

Trial-and-error will then find you a position where the boat travels straight with the servo centered, and you should then get more or less equal left and right turns. But the boat may still wander one way or the other if you change the throttle setting during a turn.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn