SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:08 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Check out this new design (NEW TO ME ANYHOW)

Check out my new plan i just built. The wing is made of 1/8" depron with black depron (paper still on) spar. The wing is very strong and very strait. The stabilizer is also 1/8" depron with black pepron spar. Here are the specs on the plane.

Wing span: 32"
Wing area: 270 sq "
weight: 11.6 oz ready to fly
Motor: GSW EPS 300 C with 10x4.7 prop.

I just took it out in my front yard took it off and landed it a few times and it seems to fly great. I will give a flight report later tonight.

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Last edited by Mike Hall; Sep 10, 2002 at 08:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:09 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
top view.

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:10 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Side view.

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:45 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Looks great!! Own design or a nock-off?

I was thinking about slapping something togeather like that for small eletric as I fly the glow .40 size fun flies and love them.

I'm guessing it doesn't hover?
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:58 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
well I got the idea from the AND NOW but its really nothing like it and i dont know of any other planes besides something like a tiny that looks like this one. As far has a hovering, I think with the right battery back it would. you can hold it strait up with full throttle and it wants to hover but not quite. This is with a small Nimh battery back and with a more powefull batter i think it might hover. I know this EPS 300 C should put out over 12 oz of thrust with the right combo.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Hall; Sep 10, 2002 at 04:01 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:58 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
pic of airfoil in stabilizer.

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Cool.... Looks just like a Stickit from about 7 years back only your tail is shorter coupled, and the airfoil is a bit thinner to scale. I was just gonna scale down the Stickit

It was THE competition funfly in it's day.

Now you got me thinking about building that "someday" model.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:51 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
Man does this plane fly good But its way underpowered. what is a more powerfull geared motor setup that will not weigh much more than the EPS 300? I also would like to use more powerfull batterys but i would like to keep them under 2.5 oz to keep the plane light. With its light weigh its very stable with power off and flys like a trainer untill you start to turn and it turns around in a snap. I have been having a hard time getting into inverted flight. Anyhow have tips on how to get inverted and keep it there. I have been trying to roll into inverted but this thing rolls so fast i cant stop it fast enough

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:06 PM
I want that 1 this 1.....
OKLAHOMA
Joined Aug 2002
38 Posts
You could reduce youe control throws

BTW what are they at now?
soonerflyer is offline Find More Posts by soonerflyer
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:11 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
So just reduce the control through and it will roll much slower. I never thought of that. The contol throughs are about 1.5" each way. I like how it turns fast but It rolls so fast you cant stop it.

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2002, 09:35 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
If you have a computer radio you can also add some negative expo... Will tame it around nutral, but you can still give full stick for those blur rolls.

Speaking of control throw and plane reaction. If you have more than 45 degrees throw, you can actually cause the plane to react slower. Found this out on a fun fly some years back. 45 degrees was great so I though more would be better. Well the thing rolled and looped better at about 3/4 stick than it did at full stick. Put all throws back to 45 degrees, and it rolled and looped faster.
strange but true
Old Sep 11, 2002, 07:17 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Good looking And_Tiny_Now!

I agree, reduce the aileron throws to about 30 degrees for now, 45 degrees max, for the best roll rate. As far as inverted goes, try a 1/2 loop to get to it. If it requires too much down elevator, move the cg back and try again. With the symetrical airfoil, the inverted vs normal flight should require very little change in elevator. CG will likely be just a smidge behind the thickest part of the wing. Make sure your ailerons are in-line with the fuse for the most efficient flight. The 300 should be able to pull it, if it is trimmed right. Otherwise, a brushless would be the next step without adding weight. A 380/400 will require more battery, causing more weight, etc....

You didn't say what battery. You will likely want AAA's for decent current capability...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond