SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:43 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Thanks George I will give that a look. Perhaps I can shim my existing mount for that but it's always good to have sources. I also see that we're moving the back landing gear versus the manual. Which is what I have right now. nice
bronney is offline Find More Posts by bronney
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:45 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Here are the tail braces done. I do have a question if anyone can help. When I hold the wing as of now and fling it real hard like a fan, up and down, as if it's a bird flapping, I do feel that the wing flexes. This is normal right? Or for an AP payload it's not supposed to flex at ALL? In that case I might have to do some wing braces. Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:17 AM
Crashin 1 plane at a time
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
73 Posts
The slow stick wings do flex a good bit. after you break them in a bit and the tape settles they flex. But it should be fine. Some people like to brace them up like crazy, which is fine. I carry about a 3oz AP payload with a stock wing and does great. As long as you don't plan on doing a full speed dive and pull into a loop she will fly.
tor_kamata is offline Find More Posts by tor_kamata
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Ah that's good to hear. I haven't taped up the wing for scruffings yet but even if I do it won't help the flexing much. My cam will be around 6 Oz. with mount. But yes I won't be looping and diving with this. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:31 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Back landing gear.

The back gear didn't hold after putting on the camera so here's what I did to beef up the back gear. I ran out of thick piano wires so I used the cf cut to wrong length for braces the other night. Works perfect.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:20 PM
Joined Jun 2005
339 Posts
Bronney
If you ever want to try floats, they are very easy to install. Just buy a slope version, place the extra front wing sadddle behind the trailing edge wing saddle and use the extra landing gear for the floats. The balance will come out perfectly and the floats can be mounted in seconds. I also used the additional fiberglass rods and dihedral brace to reinforce the wings. My Ss has two sets of leading edge and trailing edge fiberglass rods for reinforcement. The floats I use are the Wingo floats from Hobby Lobby. They are light but strong. Good luck if you ever want to fly off water. Loads of fun. The floats also work great for flying off snowy fields.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...06&pid=U288125
georgefromvt is offline Find More Posts by georgefromvt
Last edited by georgefromvt; Dec 19, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:20 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Thanks mate but let's see how I do on land first lol. I am only 3 months into this.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Quick update. Camera mount done with zipties. I am gonna put 10 more zipties on this this Sunday. Weeeeeeee! Perfect CG at 4-1/8". Perfect centered videos.

[EDIT]Thrust angle also 4 degrees right and down, with shims on the screws against the motor side.
Last edited by bronney; Dec 20, 2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:05 PM
Joined Jun 2005
339 Posts
Balsa Products isn't carrying the yellow SS. I want to cry. Would have loved trying a yellow wing on my stick! This was their reply when questioned if they would carry the yellow stick. "It appears that GWS is going to carry colored slow sticks. I do not think we will be carrying the other colors at this time. The number of replacement parts and kits would just be too much for us at this time.
Sorry,"
Jim
georgefromvt is offline Find More Posts by georgefromvt
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:39 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Yellow SS is sexy. Man that SSV2 is just cool.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
quick update.

Another quick update. I ran out of 3mm cf and don't wanna use the factory glass rods. So I used 2mm cf and made a third spar. The joiner I made out of tamiya plastic tubes. It won't survive impact but I am going to tape it up real god, perhaps even with a thin strip of foam. A lighter did the dihedral.

[EDIT] update, and here's the third spar done.
Last edited by bronney; Dec 22, 2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:57 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
So how does one carry a 1 meter span plane to maiden when you don't have a car? You cross hobbies! Besides rc planes, I also play airsoft! And here's a rifle bag solution
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
Here's the maiden today.
122406 Kai Tak, Hong Kong. Highlights. 2.5Mbps (5 min 26 sec)

That's the second flight. The first flight I didn't have the cam on and it performed flawlessly. I was so confident I slap the cam on the second flight without testing on dummy weights first.
Last edited by bronney; Dec 25, 2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:02 PM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,413 Posts
bronney,
Have you ever tried the SS wing without the dihedral?
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old Dec 24, 2006, 07:30 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2006
378 Posts
no I haven't. But I quite like it with dihedral.. I got this plane so I can fly something different from the 3D I fly.. very relaxed and graceful. Well trying to be graceful