SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
Joined Aug 2005
31 Posts
Discussion
Mode 1 vs Mode 2 Flying and tremor problem

I'm looking to move from mode 2 to mode 1 (sick of being the only local not flying mode 1....and all model stuff here is mode 1 and I like rtf stuff). I am not the greatest heli flyer on mode 2 but I can fly.

Lets just say that getting the brain to respond to mode 1 is VERY challenging, and the bird has not yet taken off as I need more sim time. Mode 2 always seemed more natural to me and I am yet to be convinced that going to mode 1 will server much of a purpose as I said mode 2 seems more logical, however more practice may make mode 1 more familiar.

One MAJOR challenge I have is that I have variable hand tremors...not great for flying let alone heli flying. Left thumb does not like the left/right movements too much (without jerking) so I'm also trying to learn pinching the stick flying method (used to be thumbs only) which give me much greater control.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for punishment LOL......

Any feedback re experiences from changing modes in heli flying would be appreciated. I.e. not sure if I should go to mode 1 at this stage as I think I am past the initial benefit of having the same mode re buddy boxing. This statement may however be nullified later if I push further into heli flying where having a buddy could help get me out of major problems. One thing I have noticed is that there are never any buddy box setups going for the local heli flyers....they just take it really slow and learn each method (see online tutorials etc).

I guess the bottom line is do I persist on mode 2 which is opposite to LHS gear and clubs for something that feels more natural, or force myself to relearn on mode 1 hoping that it will eventually feel natural.

Plane flying either way is not too much of an issue...however again I like the feeling of 1 stick flying which cannot be achieved using mode 1.
rathalian is offline Find More Posts by rathalian
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:23 PM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
Hi Rath:

Can't comment on modes but my dad had Essential Benign Tremor and something he did to reduce the effect of the tremors was to add an extention to the sticks so that it required a greater movement of the stick to obtain a given control response. That way, the tremor movement relative to the required movement to change the flight path was reduced.

All the best to you and good luck with the flying.

Lee
Radioguy is offline Find More Posts by Radioguy