HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2006, 08:18 PM
Jason Noll
Champaign, IL
Joined Sep 2004
362 Posts
New Product
Vrolet F3P and Freestyle

I am dropping a note to all of you to let you know that my 2007 indoor model is now available at Fancy Foam Models. Mike Hammel and I have worked very closely to produce a "top notch" indoor airplane that you will all enjoy flying as well as building. This airplane is 2 years in the making and its early versions have won the ETOC and the E-Fest. After many hours of improvements and many different opinions I have developed what I believe to be one of the best indoor models available. My goal was to have this model competition ready right out of the box with an all-up-weight of no more than 7.0oz with the heaviest set-up. You can chose from two different version of this model, one being an F3P version with drag brakes, different wing spacing and a few other secrets for precision flying and the other being a Freestyle version for all out Freestyle. You can purchase these two models at www.fancyfoam.com

This thread will be open for discussion, updates or questions with the Vrolet.
Jason Noll is offline Find More Posts by Jason Noll
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2006, 10:02 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Mine will be here Monday.
2 F3P versions..
wgeffon is online now Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Dec 09, 2006, 10:27 PM
Team Airfoilz
Derby Ks
Joined Feb 2005
927 Posts
Looks good. Look forward to flying with you at Chitty 3D. I'd love to get behind the sticks of one of these!
Ryguy is offline Find More Posts by Ryguy
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:34 AM
TEAM EXTREME / HORIZON HOBBY
United States, NJ, Tuckerton
Joined Oct 2006
601 Posts
Hey Jason,
Mine arrived today, both versions. I built the F3P version today with no problems, it goes together very fast and true. The quality from the hardware to the cuts of the foam is perfect, along with Mikes's customer service. I'll fly tomorrow and post reports on the sites. I know this kit will be competitive out of the box and plan to fly them at what ever indoor venues I attend this winter. Thanks for the great design and for making it availabe to the public. Also thanks for your fast responses to my PM's regarding this plane. Hope to see you at E-Fest.

Thanks,
Lee Morey
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:42 AM
Jason Noll
Champaign, IL
Joined Sep 2004
362 Posts
It's my pleasure Lee. I hope everyone can enjoy the airplane as much as I have over the last few years. Let us know how it goes. Also, be sure to make it slightly on the nose heavy side for best performance.

Wayne, when you get a chance, give me a buzz. We had our little boy on Wed. I tried to call you but it went straight to your v-mial.

Jason
Old Dec 10, 2006, 06:25 AM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Holy Shnikees!
Im in Florida right now but will be back around noon.
I'll call you today.
wgeffon is online now Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Dec 10, 2006, 06:36 AM
Joined Oct 2006
601 Posts
Thanks Jason, and congrads on your little boy. My son will be 3 in January.
Lee
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:38 AM
Jason Noll
Champaign, IL
Joined Sep 2004
362 Posts
I will be posting video and pictures of my set-ups soon. As of right now, this is what I am using.

Vrolet F3P

Motor: Axi-2204/54
Prop: 9x5 GWS direct drive
Battery: Hobby Lobby Polyquest 300mAH 2S or Thunderpower 2s 480
Servos: E-Flight S60's (I was a firm believer that the Futaba 3110 was impossible to beat until now, this servo is nothing short of amazing!!!!)
receiver: Spectrum
ESC: Castle 10, or E-flight 10 w/o the heat shrink.

Vrolet Freestyle

Motor: Axi-2204/54
Prop: 8x4 GWS direct drive
Battery: Hobby Lobby polyquest 300mAH 3s, or thunderpower 3s 480mAH
Servos: E-Flight S60's (I was a firm believer that the Futaba 3110 was impossible to beat until now, this servo is nothing short of amazing!!!!)
receiver: Spectrum
ESC: Castle 10, or E-flight 10 w/o the heat shrink.

Jason
Old Dec 10, 2006, 01:44 PM
Foamie Flyer
Longview, Texas
Joined Nov 2005
110 Posts
Beautiful Airplanes!

Is the freestlye Vrolet suitable for outside flying? All of the flying I do is outdoors at a field on my campus. 7oz weight seems a little light for outdoors w/ anything more than 5mph winds...

I mostly fly 12-14oz bluecor foamies.
Gordon
MacYankee is offline Find More Posts by MacYankee
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:31 PM
Jason Noll
Champaign, IL
Joined Sep 2004
362 Posts
I would caution you to fly the Vrolet outdoors in any kind of wind because of it's weight. The airplane is built to fly, not to crash.......

Jason
Old Dec 10, 2006, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2006
601 Posts
Hey Jason I flew the plane today and it's every bit as good as I thought it would be. The only thing I'm upset about is my Eflite S60's aren't working. I tried them in two different recievers with no luck. I got them at JR indoor and really wanted to run them in this plane but I had to use some Hitec hs55's which don't even compare. I had to run the 2cell all the way forward to get it slightly nose heavy, it definately flies better like that for precision sequence flying, thanks for the advice. Can't wait to see your pics of your setup.
Lee
Old Dec 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
Jason Noll
Champaign, IL
Joined Sep 2004
362 Posts
That's Excellent. About the 60's, I am not sure what the problem is. All of mine are working great including the ones I received at the JR indoor. My suggestion would be to contact Horizon and see what they have to say. I am sure they would love to hear from you and I can assure you they will be very prompt on the matter.

Thanks,
Jason
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2004
8 Posts
Hi Jason,

Great job on the Vrolet. Just ordered a F3P version and can't wait to get it in the air.
Two questions for you.

- will not adding the wheel pants effect the flight performance,
mainly knife edge flight.
- any tips for reducing weight to get the airplane to come in the lower end of the weight range.

Thanks
Al Basualdo
abasualdo is offline Find More Posts by abasualdo
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:59 PM
Jason Noll
Champaign, IL
Joined Sep 2004
362 Posts
Hello Al,

Removing the wheel panst will effect the roll coupling in knife edge. My suggestions would be to leave them on. Do you have a reason for wanting to remove them?
As far as wight loss is concerned, I would try romoving one of the side trus braces with the holes cut out, smaller outrunner (maybe E-flite 250) and pull-pull on the control surfaces. Be careful of the pull-pull method. When done correctly it's great, however when done incorrectly it can be a disaster and cause the airplane to hunt all the time and not feel locked in.

Jason
Old Dec 11, 2006, 06:07 PM
Jason Noll
Champaign, IL
Joined Sep 2004
362 Posts
Lee,

I want to give you a personal thanks for all the publicity your giving the airplane.

Jason