HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2002, 02:14 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
alex,
It was actually my suggestion to Chris that he include both versions in the plans. I plan on including both wing/rudder sets in the kit depending on how expensive it is to do so.

Dan
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2002, 02:26 PM
New Paltz, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2001
195 Posts
Hi DW, I have had no problems with the dye bleeding from my Pitts. I've handled it quite a bit, and even steamed one of the wings to remove a slight warpage, and the dye has stayed put. Regarding the stripes, I drew the lines very lightly with a mechanical pencil, and painted them as sharp as possible with a medium paint brush. Because of the grain in the wood, it's very difficult to paint a completely sharp line, so to sharpen it up even more, I used a ruler and a permanent marker for the black outlines on the stripes, which really helped.

Alex, I've just been busy with a bunch of stuff - unfortunately not including building a new plane. I should have time this week to get something under way though...
Chris3D is offline Find More Posts by Chris3D
Old Sep 16, 2002, 02:55 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Thanks Chris. If and when I get to the P-38 I'll send a pic or two. I'm kinda excited to try the dye technique. Been digging around , looking for my 9 yr. old daughter's blo-pens. I know they're somewhere and wanna see how well they work. Gotta be better then using markers (how could dj aerotech even suggest that?).
Thanks again.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:26 PM
Houston TX
Joined Jun 2002
103 Posts
micro gear foe micro bipes

Where can I find micro gear for the bipes?

Don
Bayou Boy is offline Find More Posts by Bayou Boy
Old Sep 17, 2002, 03:31 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
I have stuck this thread for a while as the plan is too nice for people to miss.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Sep 17, 2002, 06:22 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
Thanks for the great plans, Chris. I've started the 24" "upscale" I mentioned over in the "other" forum. Even at 24", this thing looks tiny. I'd sure like to know how you figured out the proper dimensions for the "rolled" fuselage. I think this technique could be used on a lot of different planes. You've even got me building a balsa plane after years of foamies!

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Sep 17, 2002, 09:39 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Rolled fuselages...

I have used aluminum sheets from an offset printer for building control-line slimers using the rolled technique. Works on wings, too...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:35 PM
New Paltz, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2001
195 Posts
At long last, the wind died down long enough to get some some video of the little Pitts earlier today. It was still on the breezy side, so I had to keep the speed up a bit. The entire flight lasted 10 minutes, and this is just some of the highlights. It'll fly for 13 to 15 minutes if so much energy isn't spent fighting the wind.

You'll need the latest DivX drivers to play the file.

Pitts.avi About 2.5 megs.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 01:04 AM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
that's awesome!
it actually looks a bit more stable than my micro Lightning.

i just ordered my contest grade balsa from superior balsa today. i'm looking forward to building/flying it soon.

johnk
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Old Sep 18, 2002, 01:33 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
Nice

Good work again Chris!
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Sep 18, 2002, 05:27 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Nice video Chris! Could you provide a little more detail on how to mount the motor. I'm to that point on my Pitts, but just can't think of a good light way to do it.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Sep 18, 2002, 09:29 AM
FLB
Montreal-Toulouse
Joined Jul 2002
420 Posts
Hi Chris,

Nice video...

I'm not use to this tiny scale. Sometimes the plane seems to be far away but it must be just 20 meters max... Very interesting. I will try very soon

Thank you to share all this work. It pushs me to do better

Regards

Frederic
FLB is offline Find More Posts by FLB
Old Sep 18, 2002, 09:39 AM
New Paltz, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2001
195 Posts
Thanks Trizza, John, I can't wait to see yours. It's actually very stable if you keep the speed up - the times you see it getting mushy and/or stalling was because I was trying to slow it way down. It can fly really slowly, but on a breezy day like yesterday, it doesn't take much to turn a slowly flying model into a stall.

Jim, are you having trouble mounting the motor, or getting the firewall former in place so you can mount the motor?

I need to make a small chance in the plan - just switching the order of two parts of the construction notes. You should build the cowl before gluing in F2 - that way you can rest the cowl on F1 while you position F2 and make sure the motor will clear the nose. The instructions now say to glue in F2 before assembling the cowl...

Anyway, I take the motor out of a KP-00 gearbox so it'll rest flat against F2 while I position it. I'll then hold the fuselage vertically, cowl resting on top, and place the gearbox in, resting on F2. Then it's just a matter of gently nudging F2 here and there to get the needed right and down thrust, and clearance from the cowl. Once F2 is positioned, remove the motor and the cowl, and glue it in place. As for actually mounting the motor, glue on the cowl and again place the KP-00 gearbox in without motor. Align the motor so the prop is in the center of the opening, and then use a pencil or pin or something to mark the holes in the gearbox - I just use a mechanical pencil with plenty of led extended, pass it through he cowl and through he top two mounting holes and the 2 holes for the motor leads. That reminds me, the first thing I do with any KP-00 is to remove the motor and cut off the two posts through which the leads pass - it just makes mounting much easier. Once the mounting holes are marked, just drill out with a very small drill (or a piece of thin music wire or something) and mount the motor with 2 small screws. I recently added a small square piece of carbon fiber tape to the back of my F2 after a crash yanked the screws through F2. If you don't have CF tape, you could also saturate the holes and surrounding areas with CA before mounting the motor. That's what I had done with the Moth and it worked fine.

Let me know if you continue to have trouble.
Last edited by Chris3D; Sep 18, 2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:14 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Re: 2mm Wallpaper insulation foam:

This was mentioned a few posts back. Where can you get this in the USA? Is it something stocked by Home Depot, Lowe's, etc?

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Sep 20, 2002, 03:54 AM
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Joined May 2002
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alex_parkflyer
Thanks for the updates, Chris! I think any new project would e great, but a Fokker DVII ... heheh, that would be superb!!! And it's German..! Yeah, I love your work!!!!!! Superb job!!!
Alex
Alex,

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Fokker D.VII is NOT a German plane but Dutch. You can read about the Fokker history here: http://www.fokker.nl/aboutus/history01.asp

Really bad that this company (started by Anthony Fokker), once the biggest aircraft manufacturer in the world, doesn't exist anymore.

Jan-Dirk (from The Netherlands)
jandirks is offline Find More Posts by jandirks