HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:19 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Thanks Jochen! So used a 5gram receiver/ or finally came out with it! Hm, I'll think about that! Thanks anyway!
Alex
PS: Where in Germany do you live?? As you sure have read, I live in Berlin.
alex_parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by alex_parkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2002, 10:11 PM
Melbourne City Hlpt, Australia
Joined Dec 2001
217 Posts
Alex,
You could also look at Rick Ruijsinks MicroMag www.micromag.com it is a bit more expensive,but is excellent and is available on 35 Mhz
Robert
rallen is offline Find More Posts by rallen
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:49 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Well I've learned a few things about building this airplane. DON'T use midwest balsa, it's WEIGH (spelled correctly) to heavy. I tried using it after building most of the plane with Sig contest balsa. Well basically, I can forget the Midwest balsa, it is about 5 times heavier than the Sig. Also DNA was quite right, the acrylic paint that is 44 cents at walmart works wonders. That's some great stuff for little or close to nothing, and it looks great on balsa. Well I'm now waiting on some more contest balsa, after that I'll post pics of my progress. I'm loving this little wonder. If it flies 1/2 as well as it looks, I'll be exstatic.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Sep 14, 2002, 03:09 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Hi Robert! Thanks for the hint, but when I click on the link, it says: "No web site is configured at this address." So I tried it with ...... .net but then it shows a french site about computers. What is the right link?? Is it an Australian site??
Alex
Old Sep 14, 2002, 08:33 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
The Micromag site is http://www.ruijsink.nl

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Sep 14, 2002, 02:20 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,016 Posts
I don't think you can buy the Micromag currently.

Fantastic model!!!!!

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Sep 14, 2002, 07:18 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,350 Posts
For some reason, I can't open the file.
Does anyone else have this problem, or can tell me how?

Thanks,

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Sep 14, 2002, 09:40 PM
New Paltz, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2001
195 Posts
I just tried it and it opens fine. You need the free Adobe Acrobat reader program, available here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Let me know if you continue to have trouble.
Chris3D is offline Find More Posts by Chris3D
Old Sep 14, 2002, 09:43 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,350 Posts
OK, I got it. This is great. Thanks, Chris.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Sep 14, 2002, 10:14 PM
Mmmm... crunchy balsa.
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2002
490 Posts
Thank you so much Chris... for all of your time and effort.

I was wondering if you had any other file formats of the drawings. I would love to try and build a 280 sized Pitts. I can read just about any vector-based file type. (dxf, dwg, cdr, ai, 3ds, wmf, etc... )

Okay, the reason is this... I dont have the tiny equipment needed to fly it. Chris did such as amazing job on this plane, that I want to try a parkflyer sized version.

P.S.: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I'm not sure if this is a common practice these days, but... It's very nice to be able to print the parts outlines with their detail lines on the laser printer. Then, just fire up your iron and set the heat to high and you can "iron-on" the crisp black outlines directly from the plans onto the balsa. The toner from laser printers is heat activated and will transfer quite easliy. You can then cut the shapes away with you #11 blade and airbrush/dye your second pigment on. This iron on technique works incredibly well, and even better if you print with a slightly higher than normal density on your printer. If you don't have access to a laser printer, don't fret. Most photo copiers use this type of toner too. I'm sure your local copy center would appreciate your patronage.

thanks,
-=h=-
harryo is offline Find More Posts by harryo
Last edited by harryo; Sep 15, 2002 at 04:50 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 01:45 AM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alex_parkflyer
[PS: Where in Germany do you live?? As you sure have read, I live in Berlin. [/B]
Near Bielefeld.

Regards, Jochen
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Sep 15, 2002, 05:57 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
You might check out this Pitts Post on the RC Microflight BB.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Sep 15, 2002, 11:17 PM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,070 Posts
Thanks Chris! I started mine today....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=61785
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:52 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,735 Posts
Gotta thank all here for discussion re: "painting" model with dyes and/or food coloring. Have been thinking of gettin Roadkill P-38 but turned off by use of markers to color model (see Backyard Flyer -Winter 2002, YUK!!!). Now can't wait to find some documentation to see what could be done.
Are there any problems with the dyes 'bleeding' and how do you manage such crisp lines on the Pitts?
A truly fantastic model that Pitts and def. now on my to do list, even if like some she never gets her innards and just graces my 'hanger'.
Thanks .
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Sep 16, 2002, 01:45 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Hey Dan, I've got to ask you something what I think is important: Are the pitts kits going to have additional aileron wings and stuff like shown in Chris's plans? I really want to build the aileron one, when the kits become available, or even think about building two, one with and one without ailerons! So when the kits come out, please tell me (I'll take at least a Pitts and a Moth) - so I think I should start saving my pocket money for that!

Hm, somehow it seems that Chris wasn't here for some days! Hopefully he's working on his next model..... Hope...hope...hope... (I really hope it's a German bipe!!! )
Alex