HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel
United States, CA, Upland
Joined May 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andur View Post
What's the main difference between either rudder/elevator or aileron/elevator? Sounds like turning should be easier with just the rudder, also more basic. Is the aileron/elevator combo (without rudder then) more difficult to fly? Should I build it with the rudder or ailerons then?
If you are going straight off the plans for your build, the the Pitts will be set up with rudder and ailerons. It actually flies very well like that. With ailerons only and no rudder, you may find the model more difficult to turn since it would require an input to bank and then another input from the elevator to "pull" the airplane into a turn. The dihedral on the wings as it is in the plans works very well for rudder control...not very aerobatic but fun to fly!
darhymes is offline Find More Posts by darhymes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
I've been lurking this one for a while now. I've always wanted an aerobatic micro pitts. Has anyone tried to go with a full sheeted wing (meaning top & bottom) on this one, so it can fly inverted equally well? I realize it would raise the minimum flight speed some, but to me the enhancement to aerobatics would be worth it.

What I wouldn't give for a micro Challenger II....
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts

Is the dihedral in the plans measured as indicated in this graphic?
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined May 2011
863 Posts
Quote:

Is the dihedral in the plans measured as indicated in this graphic?
That's how I measured mine...actually cut out a couple 5/8' pieces of scrap balsa (bottom wing) and used them to prop the wingtips up and then glued the middle to make it accurate. Same with the top wing.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
And what's the final verdict on the motor axis tilt? 6 degrees right and 3 down?
I've got my steel wires, balsa, wheels, glue all set, waiting for motor and prop to arrive. Then I'll get building!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined May 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
And what's the final verdict on the motor axis tilt? 6 degrees right and 3 down?
I've got my steel wires, balsa, wheels, glue all set, waiting for motor and prop to arrive. Then I'll get building!
Probably depends on motor speed and prop size. Mine actually needed a little more than 6 degrees right thrust.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Are there any modifications that I should consider for the first build already? Or should I just do the basic plan build and then see how my kit works and go from there?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Do all the regular servos work with Pulse Width Modulation interface? Meaning if I were to use my V911 PCB tail rotor contacts to turn a servo I'd have to use a whole different custom pcb?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined May 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
Do all the regular servos work with Pulse Width Modulation interface? Meaning if I were to use my V911 PCB tail rotor contacts to turn a servo I'd have to use a whole different custom pcb?
Sorry, can't help you there.

As far as modifications, I built mine straight from plans and didn't have to do any changes until I put the electronics in. The spectrum brick fit perfectly though.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Thanks for all your help! I'll try to get building soon and then make a lot of pictures.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
I've lost my cameras memory card so I can't upload pictures but I'm slowly getting it to look like a pitts! I've yet to install the motor and prop and servo guide wires, wheels. Then I should be off for my first flight! Is there any way to fly this without breaking? It seems to be like a disposable plane, that shatters into a million pieces upon landing, so fragile.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined May 2011
863 Posts
It is pretty fragile. I have had a couple landings where the plane flipped over due to my wheels locking up. Thankfully, balsa repairs very quickly and easily. When looking at my Pitts, it's difficult to see any damage or repairs. Get your pics up!
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Just took some quick photos! Not too nice pictures but I think the plane is nice! I was really sloppy with the glue and ended up with a 32g AUW (or 31 depending on the battery). If it flies I'm going to paint it but I'll try to get a maiden first.

P-51 parkzone motor and prop, prop trimmed a bit (hit the ground while taxi).
The brick is of my V911 4ch heli.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Welll despite its looks it didn't fly. Some issues with the CG and some with the props angle etc. It was very flippy and unstable, kept rolling and stalling. Oh well, I don't know. I'll glue it up and get it going again. I'm determined to make it fly. Like I've seen them on youtube.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 05:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Just measured the thrust. This parkzone P-51 motor and prop (trimmed) will put out 30g of thrust mounted on the plane. That's with my old Syma S107g battery (130mah).