Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
question

I write from Argentina (This is a translation of google)
Asked about MicroPitss data.

I would appreciate me showing:
- Wingspan
- Weight at flight
- Electronics used (receiver - servos, etc..)
- Engine

Thank you very much!
mariscallis 2013 is offline Find More Posts by mariscallis 2013
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:33 PM
FLB
Montreal-Toulouse
Joined Jul 2002
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariscallis 2013 View Post
I write from Argentina (This is a translation of google)
Asked about MicroPitss data.

I would appreciate me showing:
- Wingspan
- Weight at flight
- Electronics used (receiver - servos, etc..)
- Engine

Thank you very much!
Welcome to the forum.

Here are the infos, I can give you.

- Wingspan : 12 inches (30,5 cm)
- Weight of flight : 25-30 gr.
- Electronics used (receiver - servos, etc..): originally built for the RFFS system, not sold anymore, I think.
- Engine: originally the KP-00 with a U-80 prop

For electronic and engine, a lot of new stuff went out during the last 10 years when the plan was drawn.

Here is the plan and instructions.
http://www.chris3d.com/files/micropitts.pdf

Do a google search on Chris O'Riley Micro Pitts and you will find info and setup. Good luck.
FLB is offline Find More Posts by FLB
Last edited by FLB; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:38 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,458 Posts
subscribing.

I'll be scanning the thread as I get the chance, how feasible is it to build this from meat tray foam and AS3X spitfire guts? Maybe use a plastic bottle shrunk over a wooden form for a cowl?
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:24 PM
FLB
Montreal-Toulouse
Joined Jul 2002
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
subscribing.

I'll be scanning the thread as I get the chance, how feasible is it to build this from meat tray foam and AS3X spitfire guts? Maybe use a plastic bottle shrunk over a wooden form for a cowl?
Here are 2 pictures of my AS3X Spitfire and Chris's Pitts without guts to give a look. I think that you may have to scale up the original Pitts plan, like guys have already done, for the Spit guts. They are on the heavy side. The original Pitts have no ailerons and the AS3X system needs ailerons. For sure, it must be feasable. I never worked with meat tray foam.
FLB is offline Find More Posts by FLB
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:43 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
... how feasible is it to build this from meat tray foam ....
If you're going to expend the effort to build this beauty, I suggest you treat yourself to some "real" foam. There are many differences between foam such as Depron and meat tray - for example, you'll have trouble forming curvature into the wings you make out of the more brittle meat tray (and good luck finding a meat tray big enough to make a one piece wing).

However, the meat tray foam is great for tail surfaces since it's generally stiffer than modeling foam.

As for the plastic cowl, shrinking a plastic bottle will work, but will take a lot of effort. You may be better off just carving some foam, blue or otherwise, and finishing it with something like layers of lightweight fibercloth using Minwax .. or just Epoxy.

I'd sure follow FLB's advice and scale it to around 16 in wingspan if you're contemplating heavy Spitfire gear. Two mm Depron would be a good choice for foam - certainly there are many sources on-line like RCFoam or locally through stores like HobbyLobby.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:39 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,458 Posts
Primary foam I have available is Dollar Tree and Model Plane Foam, both of which are roughly 6mm, too heavy for this sort of thing. The trays I've picked up thus far are roughly 8x12 and required sanding to take molded grid out, there are larger ones.

I also have some UMX Extra 300 guts available, those may be lighter. End of the day the quest is to cheaply turn old airframes broken on the shelf into viable indoor flyers very cheaply.

Which Hobby Lobby? The RC or craft store? If I can find Depron in a brick and mortar (or WARM show) in central NJ I'll grab some, I'm intentionally limiting credit card abuse after a recent spending spree, cash and carry rules.

Hmm actually hitting rcfoam for the 10 pack of 10" x 30" 2mm white depron for $8.00 isn't bad, depending on shipping. It's when you go to bigger sheets or stuff like EPP it starts to add up. Also don't want to stock up on foam and then not continue to build and just have it collect dust.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:07 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Which Hobby Lobby?
Your local craft store. I may have given you a bum lead on that since their Cellfoam 88's smallest thickness is 3mm - that's overkill for the model you're contemplating. Sorry.

As concerns RCFoam - their prices are very good, but shipping runs around $10 for a small order ... and around $10 for a large order. So unless you go in with someone for a larger order, it may be too expensive for you (hint .....

TREAT YOURSELF!!!)

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:50 PM
Somerset Pa
Joined Dec 2009
176 Posts
I think I may have to build one now, thanks for sharing the plans
Jaspur_x is offline Find More Posts by Jaspur_x
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,873 Posts
Erm.. You could use Balsa ??
The original Chris O: Micro Pitts and Micro Moth was intended for balsa.
Wayy stronger than foam too, for miniscule weight disadvantages.
As there isn't that much material used and while Balsa is somewhat heavier one uses it in Very thin sheets and bits.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
I'm looking into getting into planes again. Back 10 years ago I used to fly but now the tech is so obsolete I might need new radios and receivers. Meanwhile I was into helis but getting a Pitts is like a childhood dream.

So I was wondering with different equipment. Basic setup would be about 120USD and that would be an orange HK transmitter with a AR6400 (or similar brick) or then getting a Turnigy 9x radio with a JR module for the SuperMicro Systems brick. The turnigy and orange setups are in pretty similar price ranges.

As you can see I'm trying to assemble the cheapest way to get a decent setup. Is this an OK direction? I haven't got the funds to invest in much more expensive kit so after a bit of google'ing this is what I came up with.
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:20 PM
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel
United States, CA, Upland
Joined May 2011
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andur View Post
I'm looking into getting into planes again. Back 10 years ago I used to fly but now the tech is so obsolete I might need new radios and receivers. Meanwhile I was into helis but getting a Pitts is like a childhood dream.

So I was wondering with different equipment. Basic setup would be about 120USD and that would be an orange HK transmitter with a AR6400 (or similar brick) or then getting a Turnigy 9x radio with a JR module for the SuperMicro Systems brick. The turnigy and orange setups are in pretty similar price ranges.

As you can see I'm trying to assemble the cheapest way to get a decent setup. Is this an OK direction? I haven't got the funds to invest in much more expensive kit so after a bit of google'ing this is what I came up with.
Keep an eye on the "Electric Micro Airplanes For Sale" column in the Classifieds. You'll probably find an AR6400 brick for a decent price. I used the guts from a Parkzone J3 Cub that had been crashed...works great! As far as transmitters, I have seen DX-6i's for sale for some decent deals in the Classifieds. The Micro-Pitts is a great little flyer...have fun!
darhymes is offline Find More Posts by darhymes
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:59 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,873 Posts
IF $ is a concern: Hunt around.
Bargains are out there. I recently bought (at a swap meet) Five! Radio systems for $15 ..Futaba and JR ..decent/recent computer type ones too.
All with their plastic protector films still on. Clearly lightly, if even, used.
Current Mad rush for the 2,4 bandwagon has rendered what were Primo units.. obsolete and apparently worthless.
If in possession of one of the non 2.4 systems ...one can buy ($20) and retro fit a FrSky 2.4 ghz module to virtually ANY (including AM ones) Tx and buy the accompanying FrSky receiver with full telemetry ~ 9$/12$ . Unlikely a Teeny Tiny model would have needs of temetry.. But the Frsky system is a Tech marvel as the point being made.
HK also sells those wee Fragile linear servos just like the Spektrum on board ones.... If you must.
Tiny but slightly weight increased servos can give genuine advantage, IF your model is just that tiny bit larger needed to ably deal with them.
Again; Lots of ways to the same destination and the ticket prices can vary dramatically.. shop around :-)
G'luck.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Mar 11, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
Thanks for your help guys! If some of you fly it with only a rudder, elevator and throttle do you think I could make this work? I fly my micro helis a bit and I've got these bricks readily at home:

The WL Toys V911 PCB. It's 5g and 4ch (fourth channel is for the rudder of the heli so couldn't be used for this heli).
The only thing I'd need to buy would be maybe a parkzone motor/gear/prop assembly? Of course this would be a test plane but still fun though?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
They will work fine as long as you are careful regarding the motor ,im building a few small planes and trying to base them around this board and the nineagles motor/gearbox , the basic options you have with them is rudder/elevator or elevator/aileron.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
298 Posts
What's the main difference between either rudder/elevator or aileron/elevator? Sounds like turning should be easier with just the rudder, also more basic. Is the aileron/elevator combo (without rudder then) more difficult to fly? Should I build it with the rudder or ailerons then?