Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2002, 07:25 AM
Melbourne City Hlpt, Australia
Joined Dec 2001
217 Posts
Great work,Chris!!!
I have downloaded both plans,and printed same,but am having some problems---in both plans some of the outlines are not printing:
across the middle of the fus side page on Pitts various places on Pitts former page
ailerons and bottom end of wings on alternative wings page
F 2-5 ,and front end of fuse bottomand lower set of fuel tank ribson page 1 of moth
tailplane and rudder on moth

Has anyone else had these problems/have a solution for same?
Robert
All the print pages are perfect
rallen is offline Find More Posts by rallen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2002, 08:48 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
Alex,

Since we seem to share an interest in Fokkers, I've resurected my D-VII thread. It's almost done and I hope to fly it in two weeks at the next indoor fly.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Sep 11, 2002, 09:50 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
@Gordon: Yeah, thanks, I read it!!! Hm, can you post some pics of your birds from the indoor fly??? That would be great!!!

@rallen: Do you have the same problem with Chris's updated plans?? I had the same problem with the older plans, because we have a different paper format here, but now everything's perfect. We have a paper format called A4, what' yours???

Alex
alex_parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by alex_parkflyer
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:08 AM
Joined Dec 2001
217 Posts
Alex,
I had the problem both with theold and new Moth,also with the Pitts.They fit the page OK,but there are lines missing on some of the pages.We also use A4
Robert
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:45 AM
New Paltz, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2001
195 Posts
Alex, I'll get working on an old German bird pretty soon, but I have to give something else a try first. If it works, you won't believe it

Robert, are the lines showing up when you look at the PDF? And what version of the acrobat reader are you using? I can't imagine why some lines would print but others wouldn't, as they're all identical. And since it happening all over the page, it's not simple margin problems. Can you try to print it on another printer?
Chris3D is offline Find More Posts by Chris3D
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:54 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Hehehe, Chris, I can't await the German bird, but you said you're doing somethin' unbelieveable, so please hurry up and finish it and tell me and and and ... (Hm, just take your time to do it like you did your other micros, that should be better! But... I can't await it!!! Something unbelieveable.... what could that be.........Guessing.... Don't know....
Alex
Old Sep 11, 2002, 01:02 PM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
I know (at least I think I do)....but it's classified....
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd
Old Sep 11, 2002, 03:20 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Thanks for the plans Chris. I am in love with this little biplane.

I may have missed this in one of the several threads about it, but it looks like you switched to elevator/rudder only. Didn't you originally try ailerons?

How did you apply the food coloring - spray? How were the white sections colored?

I am going to download the plans and take a look at them. I would really like to have a 4 channel, indoor capable micro bipe, but I guess that would rule out the RFFS100, eh? A fully symetrical airfoil would also be real sweet. Will the micro Pitts fly inverted?
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Sep 11, 2002, 04:16 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Aug 2002
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KatManDEW
I would really like to have a 4 channel, indoor capable micro bipe, but I guess that would rule out the RFFS100, eh?
Hm, I think Chris included optional aileron wings + needed mods for that on the last page of the plans!
The other things I think only Chris can answer right now, because he's the only one who's flown it yet (and not to forget he designed the Micro version...). Hm...
Alex
Old Sep 11, 2002, 06:51 PM
New Paltz, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2001
195 Posts
The prototype did have ailerons, but I went back to rudder/elevator for the sake of simplicity. The problem I was having with labored right turns was due to a lack of right thrust. Even with the new rudder version, I found right turns difficult until I increased the right thrust to what's currently indicated on the plan. I definitely plan to build another aileron version sometime soon. As for a symmetrical airfoil, I've thought of trying that - maybe on a Cap 10 or an Extra or something. I'm not sure how it'll work, though, as much of what allows these tiny planes to fly is the thin, undercambered wings. It seems generally accepted that, below a Reynolds number of 50,000, a thin airfoil is always better. The Re of the Pitts wing is in the 5,000 to 10,000 range.

I applied the food coloring with a brush. I'd recommend using a more permanent fabric dye, as I've been told the food coloring will fade quickly. Mine is holding up fine, but it hasn't spent all that much time in direct sun light.
Chris3D is offline Find More Posts by Chris3D
Old Sep 11, 2002, 07:02 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
I think I may scale this one up for a speed 280 MUWHAHAH!
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Sep 12, 2002, 07:36 AM
Joined Dec 2001
217 Posts
Dear Chris,
your suggestion to try another printer set me on the right track!
I usually print to my printer through a programme called "Fine Print"----it allows a great degree of control over how you print,e.g.,you can print 2,4,6,or8 pages ona single sheet,set same up to produce a booklet or whatever,
It apparently did not like your plans.and as soon as I printed direct to my printer,it worked prefectly.
Now I am looking to finding the time to construct these little beauties!
I intend to use my Rick Ruijsink 3 channel micro gear with Bob Selman actuators,Li-Poly,and of course the ubiquitous KP00

Robert
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:38 AM
Arlington, TX, USA
Joined Jun 2001
455 Posts
Chris,

I have a friend that owns a laser cutter. Would it be possible to get a copy of the plans with just the outline suitable for laser cutting. I'm not sure yet what format he uses. Did you develop these in a CAD program?

Thanks, and GREAT WORK!
asperkins is offline Find More Posts by asperkins
Old Sep 12, 2002, 08:46 AM
Buffalo, New York
Joined Jan 2002
1,024 Posts
asperkins,
DWE is planning on coming out with a laser cut kit of both the TigerMoth and Pitts. The Moth hopefully within a few weeks and the Pitts just a few weeks longer.

Dan
DWE
www.smallrc.com
dhurd is offline Find More Posts by dhurd
Old Sep 12, 2002, 02:51 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Dan - sign me up for one of the laser cut kits I'm slower than a 7 year itch, and not having to cut the parts would be a big help. I have a couple other projects that can keep me busy until the kits are available.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW