HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:10 AM
Frigate Sailor
PA
Joined Dec 2006
109 Posts
Build Log
1st Scale Model-FFG-7 Class Frigate

I recently purchased a 56" long Oliver Hazard Perry class model from BadShip models that I am building. The ship building is going great but, I have no experience with RC but want to make this an RC model (simple just a motor and rudder, well okay maybe someday a rotating gun and radar). I was wondering if anyone out there would consider exchanging emails with me and help mentor me through the process of making this warship actually sail. I have been reading the threads and noticed how knowledgable helpful some of you are.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Please PM me if you are willing to lend a hand!
shifter3 is offline Find More Posts by shifter3
Last edited by shifter3; Jan 10, 2007 at 09:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:37 AM
Frigate Sailor
PA
Joined Dec 2006
109 Posts
[IMG]DSC00007.jpg DSC00005.jpg De Wert from Helo.jpg Picture 298.jpg Picture 293.jpg [/IMG]

This is the start, I will post my progress. Appreciate any advice. Here are a few shots of my real ship.
Last edited by shifter3; Jan 15, 2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 11:02 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,592 Posts
Eric, first off welcome to the forums.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your request for a personal mentor. But I do believe you will get lots of help, and many more ideas, by just posting your build and questions here in the public forum.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 08, 2006, 11:07 AM
Frigate Sailor
PA
Joined Dec 2006
109 Posts
Hey thanks, I was worried about the fact that I am completely new to this and thought maybe some people wouldn't have any patience. I welcome all help in any capacity.

I guess my questions would be:

Is there a decent all inclusive RC kit that I could buy that would include the motor, speed control, rudder servo, .... remote control that might be sufficient for a 56" long balsa wood/fiberglass model?

If not could someone help me piece one together?

Also anyone who has any experience with BadShip models I would be interested to hear how things turned out?
Last edited by shifter3; Dec 08, 2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2006, 12:08 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter3
Hey thanks, I was worried about the fact that I am completely new to this and thought maybe some people wouldn't have any patience. I welcome all help in any capacity.

I guess my questions would be:

Is there a decent all inclusive RC kit that I could buy that would include the motor, speed control, rudder servo, .... remote control that might be sufficient for a 56" long balsa wood/fiberglass model?

If not could someone help me piece one together?

Also anyone who has any experience with BadShip models I would be interested to hear how things turned out?
Hey..I resemble that first remark....I think we are all learning new ideas even if we are experienced at this hobby. I second Kmot's reply..Post here and post often.

Yes there are pre-packed power units, but you'll get better if you buy the pieces individually.
I have a question for you.....do you have tools and are you interested in building this stuff yourself? or do you want to buy and just install?
Rudder= build your own
motor = scale speed would be a geared unit. 4to1 or 6to1 on a pitman type motor running 6 or 12 volts will work great. Maybe a 2" prop max. What is the scale prop size?
Speed control = EBay...look for something that handles 10 amps and has Fwd/Rev
Back to power 6 volts would be easy, 7.2 nicad will work also. 12 volt requires a better speed control, but many exist. Do you have chargers? other boats/planes/cars? that could share equipment?
Radio = cheapie 2 channel will work, but a 4 channel will give you room to grow.
Boatfox is offline Find More Posts by Boatfox
Old Dec 09, 2006, 09:41 PM
Frigate Sailor
PA
Joined Dec 2006
109 Posts
More progress pictures will be posted tomorrow.
Last edited by shifter3; Dec 11, 2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:54 PM
Frigate Sailor
PA
Joined Dec 2006
109 Posts
See new pics posted, any advice on laying the planking for the hull?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 06:40 PM
I like boats
Brisbane Qld Australia
Joined Jun 2006
573 Posts
One thing that I can definitely recommend with the planking is lay the planks evenly down both sides at the same time. I made the mistake of building a static model and favouring one side over the other which eventuated in a slightly warped hull as the planks pulled to one side. Other than that, it should be all good. One other trick I have learnt as well is to slightly dampen the balsa(if you are using balsa that is) before bending it, you will get better shape that way. You also get better adhesion with your glue as the dampness opens the grain up on the timber and allows the glue to soak in a bit.
Deestingray is offline Find More Posts by Deestingray
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:40 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,606 Posts
Just a thought

You could fill the areas between the ribs with foam. Then sand the foam down to the shape of the hull, then fiberglass over it.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,592 Posts
Oh yeah baby! Now you're talkin'! We all just luvvvvv pictures!!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:49 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatfox
........ I have a question for you.....do you have tools and are you interested in building this stuff yourself? or do you want to buy and just install?
Way to go answering that question shifter3 !! Boatfox I guess U'r satisfied with answer given!! Second that Kmot! Have no advice at the moment, just getting jealous about model and tools! Keep it up --> Eugène
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
Frigate Sailor
PA
Joined Dec 2006
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkboo
Way to go answering that question shifter3 !! Boatfox I guess U'r satisfied with answer given!! Second that Kmot! Have no advice at the moment, just getting jealous about model and tools! Keep it up --> Eugène
I think I subconsiously ignored it because I am floundering a bit. No disrespect to Boatfox. I would be interested in building, but I don't have many tools, so buy and install is probably better.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 02:26 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
I think you've already showed (or answered his question! ) them in the pic's!
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
Frigate Sailor
PA
Joined Dec 2006
109 Posts
How did I do that? Is there something in the background of the pics that shows my ineptness at this?

I am however quite pleased with the main deck curve that I pulled off for the bow.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:51 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter3
How did I do that? Is there something in the background of the pics that shows my ineptness at this?

I am however quite pleased with the main deck curve that I pulled off for the bow.
LOL...All the Ryobi cordless stuff hung on the wall.
We are just trying to guage what or how much you want to jump into....Scratch build hull, plank on frame is a big step. I think we are beginning to see what you are up to.
Boatfox is offline Find More Posts by Boatfox